U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:41 PM

140 posts, read 280,760 times

Advertisements

Moving there soon, any ideas how to get to East Cambridge from Charlestown? Thanks.
PS: I heard there's a water taxi? Or how about the T or bus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:44 PM

4,730 posts, read 10,933,946 times
It's an easy walk, right across the Gilmore (aka Prison Point) bridge. Said bridge spans the MBTA rail yards and connects Bunker Hill Community College - at Thompson Square - and McGrath Highway adjacent to the Museum of Science.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
It's an easy walk, right across the Gilmore (aka Prison Point) bridge. Said bridge spans the MBTA rail yards and connects Bunker Hill Community College - at Thompson Square - and McGrath Highway adjacent to the Museum of Science.
Well how about from the Navy Yard? Is that still a decent walk?

Old 06-02-2009, 05:11 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
Well how about from the Navy Yard? Is that still a decent walk?
Okay, that might be too far of a walk. There is a bus, the #93 that runs by the Navy Yard that will take you to Haymarket Station where you can get on the subway. Save money by purchasing a monthly link pass or obtaining a pay-per-ride Charliecard which allows you to pay one fare for a combined subway and local bus combination if the transfer is made within 2 hours.

Where exactly in East Cambridge will you be working at?

Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Okay, that might be too far of a walk. There is a bus, the #93 that runs by the Navy Yard that will take you to Haymarket Station where you can get on the subway. Save money by purchasing a monthly link pass or obtaining a pay-per-ride Charliecard which allows you to pay one fare for a combined subway and local bus combination if the transfer is made within 2 hours.

Where exactly in East Cambridge will you be working at?
I'll be attending Le Cordon Bleu in Cambridge (1st St) and living at Harborview at the Navy Yard.
I appreciate the advice b/c I do have a car but wanted to know if I could sell it otherwise I'll keep it. By car it is literally 10 mins but it seems there's no a direct way using MBTA. How long would it take using the 93 bus plus the subway (to get to Cambridge it is the red T if I'm not mistaken)? And how late does it run? I'll probably look for a job in Cambridge or Downtown. Thanks.

I also saw the watertaxi from Charlestown that will take me downtown but from there I have no clue how would I get to Cambridge.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:15 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,206,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
I'll be attending Le Cordon Bleu in Cambridge (1st St) and living at Harborview at the Navy Yard.
I appreciate the advice b/c I do have a car but wanted to know if I could sell it otherwise I'll keep it. By car it is literally 10 mins but it seems there's no a direct way using MBTA. How long would it take using the 93 bus plus the subway (to get to Cambridge it is the red T if I'm not mistaken)? And how late does it run? I'll probably look for a job in Cambridge or Downtown. Thanks.

I also saw the watertaxi from Charlestown that will take me downtown but from there I have no clue how would I get to Cambridge.
If Le Cordon Bleu has parking provided for you, then definitely keep your car because it is a very short drive. First Street in Cambridge has little parking however, especially all day parking and the few options would most likely cost you a lot in parking fees.

The #93 runs every 7 minutes during rush hour and every twenty minutes or so during the midday and Saturday. Night and Sunday service is not as frequent. It is a relatively short ride to Haymarket Station which is served by the Green and Orange Lines. Lechmere, the terminus stop of the Green Line, is actually the closest station to First Street and so you would want to board a Lechmere bound light rail Green Line vehicle and ride three stops to Lechmere Station. The Green Line also runs frequently during rush hour though you have to remind yourself that not every car goes to Lechmere so watch the vehicle signs carefully.

Is it faster than driving? No, but it might be the cheaper way, especially if you have to pay for parking.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston