U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2009, 05:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,237 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Boston this fall for grad school at Simmons. I won't have a car so I need to live somewhere with easy public transit. It also needs to cheap. I have been offered a place at a co-op near fields corner in dorchester and in an apartment in jp near forest hills station. Any thoughts on the safety/ anything else in these areas? Or thoughts on where else to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 05:37 AM

13 posts, read 26,956 times
Please dont go to Dorchester, not too safe for a grad student and JP is better than field's corner...... but perhaps, not the easiest in terms of Public transportation but u will be alright. Try the brighton area.. too

Old 06-08-2009, 01:49 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,202,080 times
agree about field's corner, though it would depend a bit on what side of Dot Ave you would be on.

JP is better for you just on a transit standpoint alone. if you're close enough to the Forest Hills T stop you can just hop on the orange to the Northeastern stop and walk to Simmons. far more convenient than having to deal w/ a transfer from the red to the orange out of Dorchester or dealing w/ a bus. the Forest Hills T stop has its issues w/ the massive amount of rowdy students that converge there after school (it's the main dumping ground for English High and West Roxbury High students), but this is merely an annoyance and not something to be worried about. it's a pretty busy transit hub so you won't have much to worry about there. my biggest concern would be walking from the station very late at night since the area around the stop is still a bit iffy (not a major issue, but of course, common street sense is necessary here)

can't really recommend other places w/o an idea of a budget, but other places that will pt you w/in easy commute of Simmons include the Fenway, Mission Hill, and basically anywhere off the orange and close to the green line (in particular the "E" line, though that line kind of sucks)

Old 06-09-2009, 03:17 PM

639 posts, read 3,191,903 times
Definitely agree with the other posters here about safety issues with those areas you're looking at, keep doing your homework Vintagefemmesf with neighborhoods & areas to live, trust me on that one. You know I saw an apartment on Craigslist with heat and hot water included for $1150 a month, I couldn't believe it. It's in Brookline to boot, that might work out because the green line trolley (D) would be ideal for Simmons & Kenmore Square then back to Brookline, whatever you decide, it's a piece of cake having the MBTA within walking distance, either the bus OR the train or trolley, so remember that. You could check to see what you think with that one I mentioned above, it's #192606 by Adam on craigslist if you need that part of it. That is, IF they let us do that here on City-Data, we shall see, if not, go to the boston site to see if there's anything in Brookline.

So go to the Boston.com site and click on real estate then rentals. Put in neighborhoods like South Boston OR Brookline you could get the #9 bus to the Back Bay to pick up trolleys, so check the mbta site for routes. I saw a really good deal in Southie for $1275 a month. Just keep doing research on the areas more, that's all. You can do better than where you're thinking of going. Either place would be ideal getting in town to Simmons. The neighborhood of South Boston is such a great place because you can hop on the #9 bus for Copley Square any where along East Broadway OR West Broadway over there, then from there you can pick up the trolley at the Copley Square MBTA stop:

www.mbta.com

for Simmons campus, it's only a few stops away IF that. It would be such a short commute for you from there OR better yet even from Brookline, it would be a dream to get something there actually. Believe me, I've seen rents come down this past year, not a lot but they're definitely coming down. Definitely keep doing your research with it all. Like I said, look thru the Boston.com site OR Craigslist you might luck out. Good luck, also check Rooney Real Estate in Southie online, they have some good rentals!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-09-2009 at 03:33 PM..

Old 06-15-2009, 03:34 PM

406 posts, read 1,321,380 times
That location in JP is exactly where I lived when I was in grad school. I loved it. Just get one of those little cart things for grocery shopping and you're golden.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:56 AM

27 posts, read 76,137 times
My brother lives in JP area with some friends, he's a 20-something working in downtown and it seems to be working out well for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or