U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2009, 12:21 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 888,044 times
Reputation: 147

Advertisements

I have been reading through this thread trying to get a feel of Boston. Here is my situation, I am from LI NY and I relocated to the south first FL and then GA. I am finding out and my hubby is too the south is just not for us. We are miserable here, and my hubby is looking at MA working in Suffolk County and maybe living in Boston or the burbs of Boston( if Boston has a burbs) We want to be back near north, somewhat near NY but someplace with a more LI feel. How is Boston living, we have a little girl 10 years old so schools are important, someplace with good school systems and a safe nice neighborhood.

Any suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2009, 01:11 PM
 
1,695 posts, read 3,218,075 times
Reputation: 2002
Boston has more 'burbs than any sane person can count; they stretch all through Eastern Massachusetts and into New Hampshire. I think the whole area compares very favorably to Long Island--more beautiful, less expensive, less traffic, much less cookie-cutter subdivision schlock, and no extreme racial incidents like those going on in Patchogue and Farmingville (at least none that get into the news.) And you're not stuck on an island. The taxes are lower because you pay only to the town; there's no county government to support, no separate school taxes, and no incorporated village taxes. Mass also has the infamous Prop 2-1/2 law which, for better or worse, keeps property taxes from rising very fast. Mass isn't exactly a tax haven, but compared to New York it's pretty good. The area south of Boston including the South Shore is perhaps most like Suffolk Co, L. I.--kind of flat with developed areas scattered amid piney woods. The North Shore from Beverly out to Gloucester is more like the L. I. Gold Coast but much, much more scenic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 888,044 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Boston has more 'burbs than any sane person can count; they stretch all through Eastern Massachusetts and into New Hampshire. I think the whole area compares very favorably to Long Island--more beautiful, less expensive, less traffic, much less cookie-cutter subdivision schlock, and no extreme racial incidents like those going on in Patchogue and Farmingville (at least none that get into the news.) And you're not stuck on an island. The taxes are lower because you pay only to the town; there's no county government to support, no separate school taxes, and no incorporated village taxes. Mass also has the infamous Prop 2-1/2 law which, for better or worse, keeps property taxes from rising very fast. Mass isn't exactly a tax haven, but compared to New York it's pretty good. The area south of Boston including the South Shore is perhaps most like Suffolk Co, L. I.--kind of flat with developed areas scattered amid piney woods. The North Shore from Beverly out to Gloucester is more like the L. I. Gold Coast but much, much more scenic.
That is great to hear Let me ask you something, all the best colleges are in Ma, what about the education system for middle school to high school. The schools here in GA are horrible academically that is. do the burbs in Boston have good schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 03:54 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 6,523,554 times
Reputation: 881
Yes, there are many decent and excellent public schools and the finest private high schools in the country.

I think you'll be very happy up here. We moved here from NJ about 9 years ago and have settled in quite nicely. Try to figure out exactly what you hate about where you live in Georgia and avoid putting yourself in a similar situation of up here--you'll get a better chance at a happy transition. You might want to think about moving to a town that has a fair number of transplants from other states and countries. It's not easy to break into a town that is filled with mainly natives, they tend to view outsiders with suspicion. The further you get from Boston the more likely that situation will happen.

Boston suburbs are very beautiful. However they're quite expensive....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 04:12 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 888,044 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Yes, there are many decent and excellent public schools and the finest private high schools in the country.

I think you'll be very happy up here. We moved here from NJ about 9 years ago and have settled in quite nicely. Try to figure out exactly what you hate about where you live in Georgia and avoid putting yourself in a similar situation of up here--you'll get a better chance at a happy transition. You might want to think about moving to a town that has a fair number of transplants from other states and countries. It's not easy to break into a town that is filled with mainly natives, they tend to view outsiders with suspicion. The further you get from Boston the more likely that situation will happen.

Boston suburbs are very beautiful. However they're quite expensive....
From what I have been reading the suburbs of Boston are very expensive, but I am only looking to rent for a few years and finish school while working, once I receive my RN lic. I will think about purchasing a home.
the thing I do not like about here in GA is the jobs, the pay is horrible, my hubby is a law enforcement officer working for the state as a CO her has 16 yrs NYPD, 3 years FL and they only pay him 11.00 per hour with no overtime, I have 20 years as an accountant, and cant find anything, I have decided to use my Nursing skills to get a tech job at the hospital, well that amounts to 10.77 for 36 hours and they dont want to pay overtime either, not to mention the hospital is 2 hours away from my house. You just cant live here and make ends meet. The school system is horrible compare to what we are use to up north, and we just decided it is time to move back home.

exactly what part are you in do you have any suggestions for neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 05:31 PM
 
2,312 posts, read 6,523,554 times
Reputation: 881
If you post your budget that question will be easier to answer. We live in Brookline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 888,044 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
If you post your budget that question will be easier to answer. We live in Brookline.

Our montly net will be somewhere in the area of 5900.00 per month and would like to be at somewhere around 1800.00 to 2000.00 for a 3 preferable nothing smaller than a 2bdrm definately.

Because we dont know how expensive Boston really is, household expenses such as utilities and groceries and transportation cost is another issue. Since we will be renting at first something around 1500 to 1600 sqft in a nice neighborhood with good schools would be wonderful,

Do you think this is possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 08:31 PM
 
5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times
Reputation: 4523
Hello, ImissNY. What Missionhill said about how MA is not exactly a tax haven but has lower average taxes than NY basically applies when comparing housing costs as well. The Boston metro area has one of the highest average costs of living in the country, but still averages out lower than the NYC area. When you specify 1,800-2,000/mo. as your housing budget, I'm assuming this would have to include utilities, and not just rent. I've just done a brief perusal of Craigslist, using 1,500 as the maximum rent, and there do seem to be some decent apartments with two or three bedrooms, located in some nice towns. I think what you're looking for is doable in the Boston area, but you may have to do some searching to find the best fit within your budget.

Some info that could help narrow things down is what kind of area you'd like to live in, aside from the basics of clean and safe with good schools. When you say you want something similar to LI, does this mean something like Nassau County, which may mean a rather urban setting--physicallly similar to the outskirts of the city--or more like farther out on Long Island, so the area would be more suburban, or even a bit rural? What would you like to have, if possible, in the way of local shopping. Would you prefer a walkable, coffee-shop-around-the-corner neighborhood or an area with more open space? Any idea what areas you might check out to look for work? How long a commute would be okay for you? Would you prefer driving, public transit, or both options? Answers to these questions would help narrow the possibilities, but it does look as if you should be able to find the basics of what you're seeking in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: NYC
305 posts, read 888,044 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Hello, ImissNY. What Missionhill said about how MA is not exactly a tax haven but has lower average taxes than NY basically applies when comparing housing costs as well. The Boston metro area has one of the highest average costs of living in the country, but still averages out lower than the NYC area. When you specify 1,800-2,000/mo. as your housing budget, I'm assuming this would have to include utilities, and not just rent. I've just done a brief perusal of Craigslist, using 1,500 as the maximum rent, and there do seem to be some decent apartments with two or three bedrooms, located in some nice towns. I think what you're looking for is doable in the Boston area, but you may have to do some searching to find the best fit within your budget.

Some info that could help narrow things down is what kind of area you'd like to live in, aside from the basics of clean and safe with good schools. When you say you want something similar to LI, does this mean something like Nassau County, which may mean a rather urban setting--physicallly similar to the outskirts of the city--or more like farther out on Long Island, so the area would be more suburban, or even a bit rural? What would you like to have, if possible, in the way of local shopping. Would you prefer a walkable, coffee-shop-around-the-corner neighborhood or an area with more open space? Any idea what areas you might check out to look for work? How long a commute would be okay for you? Would you prefer driving, public transit, or both options? Answers to these questions would help narrow the possibilities, but it does look as if you should be able to find the basics of what you're seeking in this area.
.

I was actual think of this cost without utilities but 1500 excluding utilities would be great also.

I am looking for something more on the lines of LI suffolk county instead of nassua county. I want something somewhat rural but not too rural. As far as traveling back and forth, I have two stable transportation to drive back and forth, but I know I should include snow into that trip so maybe, something one hour to 1/2 away with traveling if I have to drive I would be open to public transit moreso than anything else I would not mind a coffe shop in walkable distance, but most importantly nice parks for my daughter.
we would be happy traveling into the city for family fun and coming back home to the burbs for peace and family time. Also good neighbors are important to us, we miss having funtime with the neighbors, playing cards and getting along with the community, that dosnt happen here at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2009, 10:20 PM
 
Location: Brookline, MA
613 posts, read 1,967,718 times
Reputation: 358
Are you looking specifically for single family homes or would you consider apartments as well? You'll probably have more options with apartments (not necessarily a complex) than a house. But with a budget around $2,000, you'll have some options for a home too.

There are quite a few good school districts up here. You're not limited to just a couple towns. The other item to consider is that if you plan on buying a home in a few years, I would look at the price of homes in a certain town before you rent there to make sure it's a price range that you'd be comfortable buying. Only because switching school districts may be hard on your daughter if she makes lots of friends and really likes the school she starts out in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top