U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 01:03 PM

32 posts, read 126,073 times

Advertisements

I posted a while back about my husband and I moving to the Boston area, but my situation has changed and I now have different criteria. My husband will be working downtown and I will be attending BU part-time. We have two girls that will be starting school by the time we arrive there.

Things we are looking for:

• a commuter city (30 -45 mins by T) or someplace that is on the T.
  • safety...it is so important that I feel safe at home alone with my girls or out walking around.
  • good schools for my girls.
  • friendly neighborhood nothing snobby or yuppy. we are artsy people who enjoy family outings and affordable living such as restaurants.
  • washer/dryer hook-ups...had to throw this out there even though i have a feeling that this is not the ordinary.
  • walking distance to grocery and restaurants.
Things we have:

• $2500 for rent
  • Two cats
  • One car
If you need anymore information let me know, but I think I covered it.

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:04 PM

10 posts, read 45,227 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by "on the T." If you are talking about the normal trolleys/subways, there are very few cities on the T. If this is the case, the only city that could possibly give you what you are looking for is Newton.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:43 AM

639 posts, read 3,191,903 times
Newton would definitely be ideal for you guys. I saw a good one on Craigslist a short walk to shops/restaurants of both Newton Center and Newton Highlands, that might work for you. The MBTA is right there too. It would absolutely fit the bill for what you want.

The town of Melrose would be another gem of a place to live with your family as well. The orange line (MBTA) subway is Oak Grove, it's just beyond their square & there's buses going thru the town as well to get you to Oak Grove, that would be so convenient. I know you would like Melrose Square a lot. They have a lot of neat shops, restaurants there these days & recently they renovated this bistro called Stearns & Hills, it's quite a place, it's even on my agenda to hit this summer. Turner's restaurant is across the street from it and is wonderful too. Great, great school system in Melrose, so remember that. In fact, it always had a great reputation, you'd like living there a lot. Do a search on City-Data and you'll see what I mean about this town. It's exactly what you're looking for. The only only thing I'm finding with a lot of places to rent? They say NO PETS, it drives me crazy because I have a cat too and I'd go crazy if I couldn't have her with me. I wouldn't live there then, that's all there is to it. You just have to negotiate with the landlords that's all, see what they will do for you. Some of them don't mention pets, so they'd be the ones you probably could negotiate with on this issue.

Another place to consider is Beverly may be? I know people that live there. There's parts of it that are SO quaint; a lot like the town of Melrose, only it's situated a long the coast. It's lined with older New Englanders & charming quaint homes thru here. I cruised thru quite a bit when these friends of ours first moved there. Check out the various sites online, that's all I can tell you here. Also as a tip, in Beverly in a lot of their neighborhoods you can walk right to the commuter rail, the one I saw was near the Montserratt commuter stop, that will bring you right in to North Station in minutes where you just hop on the MBTA subway for the various connections around Boston in even less time, so it's ideal that way.

I saw another good one too for you guys, this ones in Lexington. I don't know a whole lot about Lexington, but I DO know that they have excellent schools and you'd be safe there, trust me. It's only 25 minutes from downtown Boston too, that's nothing. This one I saw online had PETS ARE ALLOWED. I liked it as soon as I saw that written on their site! Oh there's a deposit for them but so what, they're allowed, I thought that was great to hear.

Right in downtown Boston along Seaport Boulevard in the waterfront community there's some apartments and one of them says PETS WELCOME, so that's a thought for you as well. Your daughters could go to school in the North End or one of the many private schools in Boston. Check Craigslist for a lot of these that say Pets Allowed. Great sources right online. Go to either www.boston.com OR www.craigslist.com for any of these apartments to see what you think.

Well that's about it from this end for Pets Allowed places. I wish there were more that let you have them, BUT you're limited & it makes me so annoyed because I'm a pet owner myself. Oh well, just do your homework on them, that's all. You'll find exactly what you're looking for, you have good $$ that you're working with, so you'll be able to pull this one off, I know you will.

Best of luck!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-12-2009 at 07:57 AM.. Reason: Changed the references to specific rentals.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl52 View Post
Newton would definitely be ideal for you guys. I saw a good one on Craigslist a short walk to shops/restaurants of both Newton Center and Newton Highlands, that might work for you. The MBTA is right there too. It would absolutely fit the bill for what you want.

The town of Melrose would be another gem of a place to live with your family as well. The orange line (MBTA) subway is Oak Grove, it's just beyond their square & there's buses going thru the town as well to get you to Oak Grove, that would be so convenient. I know you would like Melrose Square a lot. They have a lot of neat shops, restaurants there these days & recently they renovated this bistro called Stearns & Hills, it's quite a place, it's even on my agenda to hit this summer. Turner's restaurant is across the street from it and is wonderful too. Great, great school system in Melrose, so remember that. In fact, it always had a great reputation, you'd like living there a lot. Do a search on City-Data and you'll see what I mean about this town. It's exactly what you're looking for. The only only thing I'm finding with a lot of places to rent? They say NO PETS, it drives me crazy because I have a cat too and I'd go crazy if I couldn't have her with me. I wouldn't live there then, that's all there is to it. You just have to negotiate with the landlords that's all, see what they will do for you. Some of them don't mention pets, so they'd be the ones you probably could negotiate with on this issue.

Another place to consider is Beverly may be? I know people that live there. There's parts of it that are SO quaint; a lot like the town of Melrose, only it's situated a long the coast. It's lined with older New Englanders & charming quaint homes thru here. I cruised thru quite a bit when these friends of ours first moved there. Check out the various sites online, that's all I can tell you here. Also as a tip, in Beverly in a lot of their neighborhoods you can walk right to the commuter rail, the one I saw was near the Montserratt commuter stop, that will bring you right in to North Station in minutes where you just hop on the MBTA subway for the various connections around Boston in even less time, so it's ideal that way.

I saw another good one too for you guys, this ones in Lexington. I don't know a whole lot about Lexington, but I DO know that they have excellent schools and you'd be safe there, trust me. It's only 25 minutes from downtown Boston too, that's nothing. This one I saw online had PETS ARE ALLOWED. I liked it as soon as I saw that written on their site! Oh there's a deposit for them but so what, they're allowed, I thought that was great to hear.

Right in downtown Boston along Seaport Boulevard in the waterfront community there's some apartments and one of them says PETS WELCOME, so that's a thought for you as well. Your daughters could go to school in the North End or one of the many private schools in Boston. Check Craigslist for a lot of these that say Pets Allowed. Great sources right online. Go to either www.boston.com OR www.craigslist.com for any of these apartments to see what you think.

Well that's about it from this end for Pets Allowed places. I wish there were more that let you have them, BUT you're limited & it makes me so annoyed because I'm a pet owner myself. Oh well, just do your homework on them, that's all. You'll find exactly what you're looking for, you have good $$ that you're working with, so you'll be able to pull this one off, I know you will.

Best of luck!
You're so sweet! Thanks a lot for all that information! I have heard excellent things about Newton and Beverly, but thought there was a little yuppish. I used to live in Boston many, many years ago. I'm sure things have changed since then.

When I say that we want to live along the T, I mean the train. I know that people know what the T is and don't confuse it with buses or trolleys.

We wanted to stay within walking distance to a train stop. I want my girls to live a diverse lifestyle so I want it to be easy to access the city with the city shopping and baseball games. I think they will really enjoy living there as much as I did.

Love craigslist, but have to watch out for those scammers. I will definitely check out Melrose, Lexington, Beverly, and Newton. $2500 is at the top of our budget, but I would rather live somewhere nice and spend that money.

In these places that you mentioned to rent, are they homes to rent or apartments? Will the girls have yard space to play in, parks, and other young children?

I will search high and low for somewhere that will allow me to have cats. I am not moving without them...they are apart of my family and I don't see why landlords don't understand that. I've never seen a cat completely ruin a house or an apartment.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am doing a lot of research as my husband wants to get out of Florida asap.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM

Is Newton Corner the same as Newton? I'm finding a lot of listings for Newton Corner. Is Brookline or Cambridge even an option for us?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM

1,270 posts, read 4,781,813 times
Thumbs up Winchester

Try Winchester we have one of the best school systems in the state, 2 commuter rail stations in town easy access into Boston's North Station. Also a short drive to Oak Grove on the Orange Line in malden) and (Alewife on the Red Line in Arlington). We have a great youth sports program in town with many different sports, a great youth center in town and recreation department. We have kidstock theater with theater programs year round (winchester cooperative theater) a local community television station, and many volunteer orgranizations throughout town to become involved with. There are many hiking trails and mountain biking/cross country skiing in the Middlesex fells and there are other walking areas around town or within a 10 minute drive (such as the Minuteman Bikeway, Mystic Lakes, Great Brook farm state park, ) etc. We are about a 30-40 min drive from the Beaches (north Shore and Cape Ann)
there's the Logan Express Bus and Manchester Airport shuttle to Manchester Airport available at Woburn--(next town over) and we are right on I-93 and 128/95. Lots of shops and boutiques, cafes, eateries, an independent bookstore with a great children's book section and young adult section. We have a great library with a neat Mill pond out back. We have numerous events throughout the year --such as Town Day, ENKA Fair (a carnival), tree lighting ceremony where Santa rides around on a fire-truck, and the traditional thanksgiving football game with Woburn one of the longest rivalries in the country. This summer we are hosting the Cal Ripken Baseball (youth) world series with teams coming from all over the country.
For more info about the town email me and or
We have a great high school and youth music program as well and a community music school.
People are active in town politics and we have a town meeting format.
We care about our town here and it shows in the quality of life and schools here despite the tough times.
look here
Winchester, Massachusetts Home Page
Welcome To Winchester Public Schools - Massachusetts, USA

Hope this helps!

Old 06-12-2009, 11:07 AM

639 posts, read 3,191,903 times
YES for Winchester, absolutely! Also, if you wanted to be closer to the city of Boston then see if you can find something in or near Brookline Village area, that has the trolley right there and it would be the same thing, great stores all around this part of Brookline & fantastic school system. Also quaint parts along the side streets quite a bit.

Melrose, and even Arlington are expensive to live, it's actually more expensive in Massachusetts every where these days, but at least the riff raff isn't in these particular towns/cities!

I mention Arlington because there's a really pretty area near the Stop & Shop on Mass Ave., up on the hill. It's SO pretty up thru there. See if you can rent something up thru there. Go to a real estate agent like Century 21 to see if they have anything available instead of going to Craigslist or Boston.com. Go to the realtor site online & look at the ones for sale & check out the real estate agents they use and call them to see what they have for rentals. That's what you probably should do since you're in Florida any way right now.

I really like Melrose and always did, but there's areas of Brookline that are quite nice too, like Brookline Village & check out Coolidge Corner or even White Place, that's where a good friend of mine lives & loves it thru there. Here's info on the various neighborhood associations:

Neighborhood Associations

I mentioned Arlington because I have a good friend that lives off of Mass. Ave right across the way from the Stop & Shop up on the hill and they love it there. There's buses to get to the "T" subway and in to Boston in no time. It's also good to check out a town like Beverly to compare & to see what they offer compared to being closer to the City of Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or