U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,746 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm moving to Boston this summer. Coming from Florida, and dragging up7 my Florida-native SO with me! I'm ready to be going back, and he's happy to be coming with me, but I need some advice! I'm originally from Sturbridge/Worcester, and I'm not familiar enough with residential Boston. We want to live within easy access into Boston, but we're looking for a rental house rather than an apartment. Where are some good places to look? Price-range is $1000-1500 monthly, aiming towards the cheaper end of the spectrum but being realistic. We're having trouble because while we're finding things in our price range, we don't know the area well enough to narrow the search. Would a realtor be a good option at this stage, or can we wing it? Any and all advice welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodanio View Post

We're having trouble because while we're finding things in our price range, we don't know the area well enough to narrow the search.
Where have you found houses for rent in your price range? $1000 seems a little low for the boston area.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 AM

44 posts, read 147,199 times
Default Well, if you have time

then do the research yourself and save the realtor cost, but if you want to find something more quickly, there are a lot of big local real estate companies that have rental listings... but you're unlikely to find a house to rent in that range in a good neighborhood if you need to be actually in Boston or one of its neighborhoods.

If you can deal with a bit of a commute, you're much more likely to find a house for rent in a close-by suburb that's (here's the key) on the MBTA Commuter Rail line... look at the MBTA website and see where the lines go, how long the schedules take, and figure out how far away from downtown you might be able to go. There will be more houses to look at that way.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:44 AM

12 posts, read 20,187 times
Default Very expensive!

Get ready for $1.25 per apple (on a good day!) and a very expensive city. I would keep on researching and networking as much as possible. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodanio View Post
Hello all!

I'm moving to Boston this summer. Coming from Florida, and dragging up7 my Florida-native SO with me! I'm ready to be going back, and he's happy to be coming with me, but I need some advice! I'm originally from Sturbridge/Worcester, and I'm not familiar enough with residential Boston. We want to live within easy access into Boston, but we're looking for a rental house rather than an apartment. Where are some good places to look? Price-range is $1000-1500 monthly, aiming towards the cheaper end of the spectrum but being realistic. We're having trouble because while we're finding things in our price range, we don't know the area well enough to narrow the search. Would a realtor be a good option at this stage, or can we wing it? Any and all advice welcome! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or