U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:46 AM

44,610 posts, read 43,151,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There is a Cape Verdean influence too. They make up a big part of the Black communities of the cities in that part of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Actually, the singing group Tavares is of Cape Verdean descent and are from New Bedford. Same for cities in Rhode Island and even Connecticut and I believe Long Island as well. Cape Verdean diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cape Verdean American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know that too. Brockton,MA has the largest percentage of Cape Verdeans in the USA. Former basketball player Dana Barros is of Cape Verdean descent and from Boston. There was also a segment done on African-American Lives by Henry Louis Gates. He interviewed an American of Cape Verdean descent. It was quite interesting.
And Tavares, well, the Bee Gees copied one of their songs "More Than A Woman". Tavares originally did that song.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 AM

7,347 posts, read 15,317,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The Fall River-New Bedford area is more Azorean. The Azores are part of Portugal and therefore Portuguese, but are a bit different from mainland Portgual. Fall River is often called teh "10th Azorean island". I learned this from an episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain did an episode in the Azores and spoke about the Azorean community in Massachussetts.
Yes, this is true. It gets difficult for people not familiar with Portuguese heritage to make the distinction. I was just eating dinner at an Azorean restaurant last week in Fall River with my friend who's going to visit his family in the Azores this week. It's funny how Azoreans will correct anyone who lables them as "Portuguese" because they are quite different. They actually have a gate to the Azores (with a matching one in the Azores) on the Fall River waterfront. It's actually quite cool how closely the nation of Portugal (and the subsection of the Azores) work together. Local politicians often are invited on all-expense paid trips by the Portuguese government and Fall River and New Bedford frequently host visiting dignitaries. New Bedford has a Portuguese consulate in town.

Azoreans and Cape Verdians make up the bulk of the Portuguese speaking people in the area. There are a number of mainland Portuguese and a good number of Brazilians spread throughout the area.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Yes, this is true. It gets difficult for people not familiar with Portuguese heritage to make the distinction. I was just eating dinner at an Azorean restaurant last week in Fall River with my friend who's going to visit his family in the Azores this week. It's funny how Azoreans will correct anyone who lables them as "Portuguese" because they are quite different. They actually have a gate to the Azores (with a matching one in the Azores) on the Fall River waterfront. It's actually quite cool how closely the nation of Portugal (and the subsection of the Azores) work together. Local politicians often are invited on all-expense paid trips by the Portuguese government and Fall River and New Bedford frequently host visiting dignitaries. New Bedford has a Portuguese consulate in town.

Azoreans and Cape Verdians make up the bulk of the Portuguese speaking people in the area. There are a number of mainland Portuguese and a good number of Brazilians spread throughout the area.
There is a National Geographic article about the Portuguese-speaking population in New England. The article is called "New England's Little Portugal". It came out in January 1975.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:

I forgot this after a while. There is often a distinction made between Portugal and The Azores. The Azores are more verdant with palm trees, bamboo, pineapples,etc. Portugal is more dry and Mediterranean, and less geologically active. Furthermore, the cuisine is different. The soup made in the Azores is more chunky. You have something called Holy Spirit soup, which consists of cuts of pork, cabbage, paprika and other spices, and bread and butter. There is also a spicy squid stew. Just mentioning all of this makes me want to go to the Azores right now. You mentioned all expense paid trips to the Azores and Portugal.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I forgot this after a while. There is often a distinction made between Portugal and The Azores. The Azores are more verdant with palm trees, bamboo, pineapples,etc. Portugal is more dry and Mediterranean, and less geologically active. Furthermore, the cuisine is different. The soup made in the Azores is more chunky. You have something called Holy Spirit soup, which consists of cuts of pork, cabbage, paprika and other spices, and bread and butter. There is also a spicy squid stew. Just mentioning all of this makes me want to go to the Azores right now. You mentioned all expense paid trips to the Azores and Portugal.
I've noticed those differences as well.

I know a few places on the Southcoast that serve the Holy Spirit soup.

If you want some good (cheap) Portuguese food, the Feast of the Blessed Sacrament is coming up in a little over a week. It's the biggest and best of its kind. I'll be making the trip down to New Bedford for it.

i too have been trying to get in on one of those trips. I guess I don't have the right kind of pull (not to mention I'm not at all Portuguese or Azorean).

Old 07-23-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I've noticed those differences as well.

I know a few places on the Southcoast that serve the Holy Spirit soup.

If you want some good (cheap) Portuguese food, the Feast of the Blessed Sacrament is coming up in a little over a week. It's the biggest and best of its kind. I'll be making the trip down to New Bedford for it.

i too have been trying to get in on one of those trips. I guess I don't have the right kind of pull (not to mention I'm not at all Portuguese or Azorean).
I don't live in Massachusetts, or in New England for that matter. I won't be able to make it. All I can do is look up Portuguese and Azorean recipes and try to make them. One thing I want to try is Malasadas.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
I don't live in Massachusetts, or in New England for that matter. I won't be able to make it. All I can do is look up Portuguese and Azorean recipes and try to make them. One thing I want to try is Malasadas.
Malasadas are good. I've had them at a few different places, but I have to admit, they don't taste QUITE as good as I had hoped they would (and looked like they should). I do like the chocolate ones the best. I went to a festival last weekend in Somerset MA that was known for its Portuguese food and the line for their Malasadas (plain and chocolate) was 1.5 hours long so I didn't get to try them. I had some Shrimp Mozambique and a stuffed quohog (made with chourico) and it was phenominal.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Malasadas are good. I've had them at a few different places, but I have to admit, they don't taste QUITE as good as I had hoped they would (and looked like they should). I do like the chocolate ones the best. I went to a festival last weekend in Somerset MA that was known for its Portuguese food and the line for their Malasadas (plain and chocolate) was 1.5 hours long so I didn't get to try them. I had some Shrimp Mozambique and a stuffed quohog (made with chourico) and it was phenominal.
You can get malasadas in Hawaii too. Many Portuguese immigrants settled there too.
I do want to go to the Azores and check it out, as well as NB and FR.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,069,311 times
Try looking at Stoughton, MA

They have a Portuguese club

www.portuguesenational.com/about.html

Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston14 View Post
Try looking at Stoughton, MA

They have a Portuguese club

www.portuguesenational.com/about.html
That would be something to check out. Hopefully it will be inclusive and let me check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or