U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 PM

200 posts, read 674,236 times

Advertisements

When I went to visit Boston last summer I heard people speaking in portuguese often around copley and the north end. Does Boston have a large portuguese community or were the people speaking in portuguese just tourists visiting from abroad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 09:05 PM

I figured out that Boston has the largest Portuguese community in the United States on wikipedia.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:06 PM

There are some Bralzilians in Boston too.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:40 AM

639 posts, read 3,189,123 times
Now there's large amounts of Brazilians in Boston and the Lawrence/Lowell area of Massachusetts, more than ever before. Brazilians speak Portuguese from what I understand of the language due to one of my cousins that's married to a girl from Brazil and she filled us in good about it one afternoon when we had the chance to ask her about it. It was pretty interesting to hear about it too because I never knew that in South America, the language was Portuguese, I thought it was strictly Spanish or a form of the language from Spain or something. See how you learn something new every day? I wasn't aware of that one! Here's info from Wikipedia that I found pretty interesting about it:

Portuguese language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-14-2009 at 08:56 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 08:18 PM

7,338 posts, read 15,312,712 times
The largest cluster of Portuguese people in Massachusetts (and the country) are along the South Coast near the cities of Fall River and New Bedford. These cities (both have nearly 100,000 people) have populations that are nearly 50% Portuguese. This weekend was the "Day of Portugal" festival in New Bedford... just one of many. The Feast of the Madeira in New Bedford draws some 300,000 visitors and is the largest Portuguese festival outside of Portugal.

Boston may have a good number of Portuguese, but to experience the real Portuguese culture in MA, you have to head down to those two cities. You'll hear Portuguese just about anywhere in town and in both cities there are more Portuguese restaurants and shops than American ones. I actually had a Chourico and peppers sandwich tonight from Cafe Funchal in NB's North End with my parents.

If you're into Portuguese culture in MA, check out the South Coast... that's where it's most heavily located.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:28 PM

Portugal created a few colonies in Massachusetts during the 1600s.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 AM

Thank You IRfox that was much appreciated.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:35 PM

1 posts, read 7,300 times
In the MetroBoston area, Inman Square in Cambridge has historically had a large Portugese influence and you will find significant Brazilian populations and businesses in Everett, Somerville (particularly around Union Square and Winter Hill), and maybe Malden.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:40 PM

44,600 posts, read 43,135,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The largest cluster of Portuguese people in Massachusetts (and the country) are along the South Coast near the cities of Fall River and New Bedford. These cities (both have nearly 100,000 people) have populations that are nearly 50% Portuguese. This weekend was the "Day of Portugal" festival in New Bedford... just one of many. The Feast of the Madeira in New Bedford draws some 300,000 visitors and is the largest Portuguese festival outside of Portugal.

Boston may have a good number of Portuguese, but to experience the real Portuguese culture in MA, you have to head down to those two cities. You'll hear Portuguese just about anywhere in town and in both cities there are more Portuguese restaurants and shops than American ones. I actually had a Chourico and peppers sandwich tonight from Cafe Funchal in NB's North End with my parents.

If you're into Portuguese culture in MA, check out the South Coast... that's where it's most heavily located.
The Fall River-New Bedford area is more Azorean. The Azores are part of Portugal and therefore Portuguese, but are a bit different from mainland Portgual. Fall River is often called teh "10th Azorean island". I learned this from an episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain did an episode in the Azores and spoke about the Azorean community in Massachussetts.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:10 PM

52,659 posts, read 75,524,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The Fall River-New Bedford area is more Azorean. The Azores are part of Portugal and therefore Portuguese, but are a bit different from mainland Portgual. Fall River is often called teh "10th Azorean island". I learned this from an episode of No Reservations where Anthony Bourdain did an episode in the Azores and spoke about the Azorean community in Massachussetts.
There is a Cape Verdean influence too. They make up a big part of the Black communities of the cities in that part of Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Actually, the singing group Tavares is of Cape Verdean descent and are from New Bedford. Same for cities in Rhode Island and even Connecticut and I believe Long Island as well. Cape Verdean diaspora - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cape Verdean American - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or