U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 17,719 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a mother with 3 young kids. We'll be joining my husband in Jan 2010 for his work posting at MGH for about 6 months. Would appreciate any recommendations for reasonably priced furnished accomodation that's relatively accessible to MGH, with proximity to supermarkets and parks. My family is from a tropical country and this is the first time we are staying to a cold clime for more than a week, so we would like to ease the logistics portion quite a bit.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times
Hi Blossom. I think the reason you've had no response till now is that it's difficult to know what you're looking for if you say only that you're looking for something "reasonably priced" and "relatively accessible" to MGH, with supermarkets and other local shopping nearby. Others may have different ideas than you about what is reasonably priced and relatively accessible. Plenty of neighborhoods will have the local shopping, and parks. Specific information on your housing budget, whether you would plan to buy or rent, what type of housing you want, whether you want public transit nearby, what type of neighborhood you'd like (urban, suburban, a mix of the two, etc.), and how long a commute to MGH you would consider reasonable would all help people here narrow the possibilities to an area that would suit your needs best.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Hi ogre, appreciate your advice.

Ok. Here goes........

We intend to rent a furnished apartment with one or 2 bedrooms. Our budget is around $1500-2000 per month. We have heard that Cambridge is a nice and quiet surburb and it is along the T red line to MGH station. We are open to other surburbs although the preferred traveling time is within 30mins, if possible. Public transit is important as I am with the 3 kids by myself most of the day and convenient accessibility will be a great advantage.

In addition, how good (or bad) is the winter weather? Does it allow the kids to play outside?

Lastly, we were also wondering if it's worth renting a car for 6 months. Are child seats a must?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Last edited by Blossom2004; 06-18-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Grammatical error

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 AM

6,007 posts, read 13,190,552 times
Cambridge is not a suburb of Boston. it's its own small city/large town, some parts of which are nice and quiet, some parts of which aren't that nice, and others that are pretty active. w/in Cambridge alone there are several smaller neighborhoods/areas (Inman Sq, Union Sq, Central Sq, Harvard Sq, Porter Sq, etc). I'm personally a fan of porter Sq if you want a somewhat quieter area that's kid friendly and has shopping

moving in January is going to be tough for you if you aren't used to the cold. January marks the start of "real" winter in Boston and the first 3 months of the year can be quite bitter and cold at times w/ a lot of snow fall. if your kids are up to playing in the snow and cold, there's no reason why they can't play outside. hey, they could even take some ice skating lessons at the Frog Pond at the Boston Common!

finding furnished apartments in January may be tough. w/ 3 kids, you're definitely are going to want a 2 bedroom minimum. I'm not sure if your budget is enough to find a furnished 2 bed, but I could be wrong. your best bet would be to look at apartment complexes since a lot of them rent out furnished apartments, esp. to visiting professors/doctors

as for cars, if you pick the right neighborhood, hopefully you won't need to rent a car for that long. the public transportation system here is pretty comprehensive, though I don't know if you'd be up to waiting for the bus in the cold! try living as close to the red line as possible. or you could get to MGH by walking from North Station, which is on the orange line (about a 10 minute walk to MGH). North Station is a major commuter rail hub and if you live in certain suburbs (mainly north of Boston) you can take the commuter rail into the city and get off at North Station and walk (or some of them stop at Porter Sq on the red line so you could transfer to the red from there and save the walk though it costs extra to transfer)

Old 06-18-2009, 01:48 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,218,075 times
That's right, Blossom; there's nothing suburban about Cambridge although, depending on where you're coming from (e.g., Singapore, Beijing, Mumbai, etc.) you may find the whole Boston area to be "nice and quiet." Near the Central Sq stop on the red line is the Dana Hill section, a nice residential area between Prospect and Oxford Sts and between Mass Avenue and Cambridge Street. You could walk into MGH from there in about 30 minutes. Farther out, in addition to Porter Square, consider Arlington, which has houses and apartments, is walkable, and has good bus connections to the Alewife terminal of the red line. I'd also consider Brookline neighborhoods along the C and D branches of the Green line. Lots of doctors and professional people, very convenient, safe; however you'd need off-street parking should you choose to rent a car in Brookline. There's a car membership outfit in Boston that works well for many people as a compromise between owning their own and renting, so that's a thought.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,218,075 times
Default correction...

Excuse me-- between Prospect and Quincy Streets...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:06 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times
You might also consider Newton, which is more what I'd describe as a nice quiet suburb than Cambridge is (though, as others have pointed out above, Cambridge has some nice quiet neighborhoods). You might look at the Newton Centre area along the green line. Maybe also West Newton and Auburndale, though these are on commuter rail rather than the green line, and there are some large gaps of time during the day without commuter rail service to Newton.

If you find the right place, close to public transit, you may be able to do without a car, depending on whether you would need to do any late-night traveling (public transit closes down a little after midnight), or whether you would want to travel out of the city often. If you do rent a car, be sure that any place you consider renting in Brookline includes off-street parking. Brookline strictly enforces a ban on parking along the street at night. Any members here know about the regulations for parking on the street in Cambridge or Newton? I know the situation in Brookline from personal experience, but am not sure about those other two cities.

Regarding the weather, yes, it gets cold during the winter, but most kids enjoy playing outside in the snow. Just make sure the kids dress warmly. It's also best to dress in layers of clothing instead of one bulky jacket. If you dress in layers you can put on or take off outer clothing to adjust your comfort level as outside temperatures or your level of activity change.

Hope this helps. People have provided some good information here. All the towns suggested sound like places for you to consider. Best of luck with your search.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 AM

Hi ogre, missionhill and eevee,Appreciate everyone's help.Are there any housing regulations petaining to the minimum number of rooms to be rented out to 2 adults and 3 children all below 5 years of age?Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM

Would really appreciate if anyone can tell me how families with young toddlers at home spend most of their winter? Indoor? And how much do they get to step out for outdoor activities especially during Jan - Mar? Thks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or