U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,542 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I'm looking to move into the city but I don't know the areas too well. One place I found is in Cambridge near Inman Square, on Columbia St by Cambridge St. Does anyone know this neighborhood? I've lived in the Boston area all my short life (I'm 23) but it's always been in the suburbs so I'm nervous about ending up in a bad area.

In terms of traffic, how bad would being that far in be for commuting to/from Framingham? Should I stick to Allston/Brighton for my sanity's sake? Are there any areas to stay away from in Allston/Brighton?

Thanks in advance, I really want to experience the fun of the city but if I end up getting mugged or something it'd turn me off of urban living very quickly. Stupid TV shows (and news) making me paranoid.

For reference, I'm hoping to not spend more than $1,100/month for a 1br which I know isn't much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 03:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,967,409 times
I don't know Inman well, so I can't speak about that particular address, but I have friends (female) who have lived in the area and loved it. Funky neighborhood with a great mix of young people, bars and restaurants. Cambridge St. is the main street running through Inman with Cambridge and Prospect being a major intersection with East Coast Grill, Bukowski's, etc. located right there. I took a quick look at the map and Columbia St. seems to be pretty close to that area so that's a good sign. I would drive through the neighborhood at night and see what you think.

You just have to be smart no matter where you live in the city. I doubt you'll have any problems on a day to day basis. Just lock your doors and windows and don't keep anything of value visible in your car. But, if you're walking home drunk, alone at 3AM, you can get mugged anywhere; even in upscale Beacon Hill.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,336,578 times
Good advice from Shiver on using common sense anywhere. If you do that, most urban neighborhoods are reasonably safe.

Regarding your question about the commute from Cambridge to Framingham, it's tough to say whether this would be a reasonable trip without some info on how long a commute you can handle. Generally speaking, the commute from Cambridge to Framingham should be okay on the Mass. Pike, because you're doing the reverse commute. However, you would have to travel some on local city streets to get to the turnpike, and might also encounter some traffic in Framingham once you exit the Pike, depending on where you're working.

Allston and Brighton are okay for the most part. The main issue in most areas would be whether you want to be around a young, active, but sometimes noisy, crowd of college students, or in a more quiet neighborhood. Given your age, maybe you want to be around the young crowd, but then, maybe you'd like it more quiet as a full-time working person. If you want a younger crowd, look around the Cleveland Circle neighborhood. Generally, as you get farther west in Brighton you get more of an older, more settled population. Should be reasonably quiet, but also might not offer a lot of chance to have people your age right in the neighborhood.

You might also want to check out Watertown, especially near Watertown Square. Watertown is like the west side of Brighton, more settled and quiet, not necessarily a lot of young people, and with more small local shopping and neighborhood eateries, rather than lots of nightlife, so Watertown is a town to check out if the more subdued west side of Brighton sounds more appealing to you, maybe not so much if you want a lively young crowd right outside your door.

Brookline around the Coolidge Corner area has a fairly urban feel. If you check out possibilities in Brookline, make sure they offer off-street parking, because Brookline strictly enforces a ban on parking on the street at night. Brookline is an upscale town, so it might be tough to find rentals that fit your budget, but it's worth a look, because the neighborhood I'm suggesting has some local neighborhood shopping, is very close to the central part of Boston, and puts you in a better position to catch the turnpike to Framingham without driving as far on the local streets as you would be from Cambridge. For these same reasons, another area which may also be somewhat pricey but is worth checking into is Jamaica Plain. The South End fits into this category as well, but is more right in the city, so that parking might become a major issue.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:18 AM

613 posts, read 1,967,409 times
Another area to consider is the Brighton Center and Oak Square sections of Brighton. Living here you could drive down Washington St. (or the back roads nearby) all the way to Newton Corner and get on the Pike at Exit 17 (by the hotel overpass) in 10 min or less. You'd also easily avoid the Allston/Brighton tolls and only have to deal with the Weston toll plaza.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM

44 posts, read 147,095 times
I'd rather live on Cambridge St than on Columbia (Cambridge is busier, more active more of the time).

Old 06-29-2009, 02:32 PM
fsp

13 posts, read 42,898 times
Inman Square is great, with lots of independent shops and restaurants. The big downside that would make me think twice about moving there is the lack of T access, but if you are going to be driving to work, then it is not as big of a problem. It seems pretty safe and almost has a college town feel.

Old 06-29-2009, 02:54 PM

5,680 posts, read 5,019,855 times
Several bus lines go through Inman, though. It's inaccurate to say that it lacks T access.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM

1,810 posts, read 9,576,784 times
Default Confused

I do not understand this post at all...

Are you saying... you want to move towards the city and still commute to Framingham to work everyday? When you say traffic, what time do you plan to work?

Also, by moving to Cambridge, Allston/Brighton, .... what is it that you are looking for? Each area offer different things. Will you most likely be driving to the activities or take public transportation as different areas have different transportation problems?

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM

50 posts, read 202,577 times
I love Inman Square, but the traffic is horrible. If you are going to be driving west, I would advise against East Cambridge and Somerville and look at Brookline or the western or northern parts of Cambridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or