U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM

27 posts, read 76,069 times

Advertisements

Hello forum members! Thanks in advance for your help with my question. I am relocating to Boston area this time next year. I'd like to buy within 2-3 years. What are your best bets for decent single family housing in a good neighborhood with some sort of access to Boston, either via highway or T? Looking to keep it under $250,000 (I can hear you all laughing now), so I know it will be a broad mix of give-and-take given my price point. I'm mainly interested in good, safe cities/towns/neighborhoods within about a 30 min commute (whether by car or public transit). I'm hoping with the housing slump this may be a reality. Any feedback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:19 AM

6,005 posts, read 13,182,220 times
sorry, I just don't see the prices of single family homes dropping to under $250K anywhere close to the city, even w/ the slump. a condo maybe...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:35 AM

Yeah, kind of what I figured ... I actually see a fair amount of homes listed on some of the realtor websites for under 250 but they seem to be dumps. Thanks for the reality check!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:40 PM

7,338 posts, read 15,309,608 times
Unless you want a "fixerupper" you're looking at more than $250k (I know someone who buys a lot of old Victorians in DOT and fixes them up). If you see your income increasing in the future, rent for a while and then look. However, I can't see anything strikingly attractive for that amount within that distance. If you want to TRY, look at Quincy, Malden, Chelsea, and maybe parts of Lynn (Diamond District) but I still don't think you'll find anything too appealing in that range.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:33 PM

864 posts, read 1,528,698 times
I Know of two, two bedroom singles, steps from the shore in N. Weymouth, asking $249K. I know the houses, there in great shape in a good neighborhood, look them up on that Real estate web site.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:45 AM

639 posts, read 3,188,849 times
I saw that house in Weymouth, it's unbelievable for that type of money. It's either gone or will be gone quick, you should grab it if you can. Also, still check out the north shore just the same as well. I saw a really cute 3B 1B house, built in 1910 in Medford going for $249,900. Oh they're out there, you just have to know where to look. This one is adorable too, you can tell. ALSO, there's one in Wakefield that's a 3B 1.5B going for $249,900 too, but it needs to be cleaned up. I'd have a field day with that one with my brothers, it definitely has potential, although you have to go see them to make sure the location is okay, usually that's the issue, so pay attention to where it's located quite a bit & the only way to know is to go see it. You might think the ones around this price range are dumps, but let me tell you, a lot of them are little gems waiting to be picked up, trust me.

I saw two others in Stoneham that I wouldn't even look at and consider, to me, they don't have any character at ALL like the THREE good ones in Weymouth, Medford & Wakefield that are online. Definitely go on the Realtor site, it's a good one to browse, it's probably my favorite one, I could spend hours on that site! You'll see the three in Weymouth, Medford & Wakefield right away on it, I guarantee it! Good luck!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-19-2009 at 09:04 AM..

Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM

bgrasser and CityGirl52, thanks. I checked out the Realtor website ... the one in Weymouth looks pretty small, 632 sq ft.? Is that the one you were referring to? Medford one was small too but almost twice the size of the Weymouth one ... Wakefield one looks like it could be promising with some work. Thanks for your suggestions! Keep 'em coming, folks!

Old 06-19-2009, 02:57 PM

74 posts, read 250,891 times
Rockland would fit that bill. It's not the best town but if you aren't concerned about schools at this point, I would consider it. There is a park and ride in town, commuter rail stations in Abington and Weymouth (both very close to any part of Rockland) and right off of route 3. The new Southfield project may prompt the opening of a major road in town that will greatly increase traffic flow through town and hopefully spur the revitalization of downtown.

The town just passed overrides to support town departments and word has it, at least a new middle school is going to be built and perhaps a refurbishing of the high school.

Bottom line: the town can't go anywhere but up and it might be a good time to make an investment- even if you do plan on this being a starter town.

Good luck.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:00 AM

639 posts, read 3,188,849 times
Hey, there's a single up in No. Andover right now on the realtor site. It's the red bungalow, cute as anything, I know you're looking for one that's a good size, but what about 1425 sq. ft on 0.24 acres? It's got a detached garage. Unbelievable potential with incredible character. Zip in on the commuter rail to No. Station, it would be a piece of cake from there. Good luck whatever you decide, we're still checking them out for you up here! Just another one to consider & YES they are definitely out there under $250,000, don't let any one tell you different.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:13 AM

Thanks for the tip! As I said before, keep 'em coming everybody, I truly appreciate it. Anybody have any experience with commuting into Boston area on T from Andover/N. Andover? How is it? I know by car it can be a nightmare in the morning ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or