U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2009, 10:26 PM

5,763 posts, read 13,338,761 times

Advertisements

What people have told you about the weather is about right. As pointed out, warm, muggy weather, with some occasional brief spells in the 90's with fairly high humidity, happens often here in the summertime. However, it's also true that real summer weather lasts only about 2-1/2 months, three at most, in the typical summer here. As others have advised above, you might want to visit here at other times of the year than September to get a feel for the less appealing weather that occurs here. September has some of the most pleasant weather of any time of year.

I'm not familiar with the inside info on the construction industry and how it's doing in this area at present. I will say that in general your husband is likely to find more work in remodeling than in new home construction, if he works mostly on single-family houses. Lots of older housing stock around here, which people often like to preserve, with kind of scattered new house construction. I couldn't tell you details about commercial property construction in the area.

The accent is generally much less apparent in the white-collar suburbs, like Winchester, than in more blue-collar areas. I'm assuming that's because you get a lot of transplants in the white-bread 'burbs, so the accent gets watered down quite a bit.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:37 AM

12 posts, read 25,725 times
Irfox, thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. Actually, accents are quite fascinating to me, and I really enjoyed listening to people talk when I was in Boston a few years ago. I have read other posts about the accent and my favorite thing someone said was "khakis are something you start your car with." I had to read it a few times, but when I finally got it, I laughed out loud

Yes, I have never lived in snow, and my only experience of it has been skiing in Tahoe. Are flights often cancelled for snow?

I am also very intrigued by living so close to Nantucket Island. I absolutely love it there and would love to be able to go there often. I spent some time there as well and fell in love with it. What a beautiful, quaint place. I have never been to Cape Cod, but would love to visit there too.

Also, please tell me more about the summer weather. Do your evenings cool off? Where I live, the hottest part of the day is 5:00 and it does not cool off until about 11:00 pm. How many days, if any, are over 100? Do you typically have rain in the summer?

Old 06-19-2009, 11:10 AM

2,602 posts, read 4,216,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepacnw View Post
Irfox, thanks so much for taking the time to respond to my questions. Actually, accents are quite fascinating to me, and I really enjoyed listening to people talk when I was in Boston a few years ago. I have read other posts about the accent and my favorite thing someone said was "khakis are something you start your car with." I had to read it a few times, but when I finally got it, I laughed out loud

Yes, I have never lived in snow, and my only experience of it has been skiing in Tahoe. Are flights often cancelled for snow?

I am also very intrigued by living so close to Nantucket Island. I absolutely love it there and would love to be able to go there often. I spent some time there as well and fell in love with it. What a beautiful, quaint place. I have never been to Cape Cod, but would love to visit there too.

Also, please tell me more about the summer weather. Do your evenings cool off? Where I live, the hottest part of the day is 5:00 and it does not cool off until about 11:00 pm. How many days, if any, are over 100? Do you typically have rain in the summer?
The only thing that I love about hot summer days are the sultry evenings. On the hottest of days the evenings will be in the 75 degree range but as people have said above the humidity can make sleeping a little uncomfortable.

Your remarks about Nantucket had me remembering one time I visited the island. We took a car ferry to get there. You know, the ones that open up in front. Anyway we were parked in the front of the ferry and when we were pulling into Nantucket Harbor the front opened up to reveal to me what looked like a small whaling community in the 1800's at sunset.
The town slopes up from the harbor and the sun was setting behind the ridge crest which was topped with several steeples.
Wicked Cool!!!!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:42 AM

7,347 posts, read 15,324,434 times
No Problem!

The accent can be fun. I personally like it only as a unique regional feature as it can really identify someone. I really don't care for the sound of it though (even though it's a welcome sound when returning from a trip or something... it signifies "home"). I won't say it's LIMITED to blue collar communities, but you'll hear it with more frequency in those towns. As you spend more time here, you may notice that some towns even have their own accent that's even more different than the Boston accent you hear commonly. Fall River is one I can think of that really has it's own truly unique sound (Emeril Lagasse is a Fall River boy so his accent is VERY Fall River). Rhode Island, Maine, etc all have their own takes on the accent (Maine's makes me cringe the most, but it's certainly unique to that region). I've heard the "Khakis" thing too and it makes me laugh. I like when people insert the letter "R" where it doesn't belong.. i.e. "Can I have a glass of Soder?" I swam competitively growing up and a few of my teammates and I competed on a U.S. team at a meet in the Netherlands. The kids from the other parts of the country kept trying to get us to say, "Pahk the Cah in Harvahd Yahd, next to Govuhnmit Centah." My friend Jeff happily ablidged seeing as he has the thickest accent you can imagine (I got annoyed because it's illegal to park in Harvard Yard and Gov't Center isn't anywhere NEAR it). It can be a lot of fun.

The snow can be a pain. While it sucks to shovel and it can mess up a commute (yes, snow storms do cancel flights... this will happen 3 or 4 times per winter usually), it doesn't happen all that frequently. There will be between 5-10 snowstorms per year (depending on where in MA you live) that really mess things up. Other than that it's just cold.

Most people think that because Massachusetts is so small, the climate is identical statewide. It's not realy true. South East of Boston (particularly along the Southcoast and Cape Cod and the Islands) sees FAR less accumulating snow than the areas North and West of Boston. Compare average snow accumulation totals from Worcester (75 inches) to those in Hyannis/Barnstable (17 inches) or Nantucket (29 inches). The water (especially the water South of Cape Cod which is warmed by the Gulf Stream) keeps the winters milder along this coastal stretch and really reduces the amount of snowfall. Growing up on the Southcoast, we'd get an inch of snow (and more rain) from a snow storm that dumps a foot or more on the Western Boston suburbs.

Summer weather is wonderful in my opinion. I know it's hard to say right now since 14 of 19 days of June have been rainy, but I like the temperatures. Humidity can be brutal inland, but it's not so bad on the coast. It's FAR better than what you'll get in the Southeast. We probably get MAYBE 3 or 4 days per summer where it's around 95 degrees (usually back to back). It's more common that temperatures range from 75 (coastal) to 85 normally from June to August. Humidity can be an issue, but again, it's better closer to the coast. The evenings typically cool off a bit but on those humid days, it can remain uncomfortable at night. Air Conditioning is wonderful. Once again, the coastal evenings (particularly Cape Cod and the Islands) are great. A soft breeze and temperatures around 70 make for a wonderful change from the hot daylight. We RARELY get days over 100. If we do it's a big deal. it's more typical for a small heat wave to be in the low-mid 90s. Usually in the summer the hottest part of the day is closest to 1 or 2 pm cooling off by 7 or 8 (again, depending on the humidity). We get rain in the summer. Not too bad (again, this June is freakish), but we'll get rain in the summer. There are far more sunny days, but you can absolutely have a few rainy ones every few weeks. It keeps it VERY green in the summer.

Finally, I love Nantucket. Martha's Vineyard is cool, but I'll take the old whaling port of Nantucket any day. The town is cool, the beaches are beautiful, and the weather in the summer is excellent. You will enjoy the Cape too. I love Provincetown, it's abosolutely beautiful and very active and fun. September is the best time to see P-Town as it's a tourist haven during the summer. Absolutely get over there if you get a chance.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:15 PM

3,884 posts, read 8,763,895 times
I love your questions as I am moving out there in Feb. from Phoenix. Yikes! I am preparing to bundle up until I look like the blueberry girl from "Willy Wonka's " movie. lol
I have no idea how I will handle it, but I am willing to try. I'm looking at our move as a sabbatical for a year to see if I can handle all four seasons. The cold and wet seems appealing to me but I try and remember it's because I spend 6 months in an oven here in Phoenix and the thought of wet and cold is a common fantasy we have at that time. That said, I know that really having 6 months of wet and cold will bring upon fantasies of 110 degrees of dry heat! lol So, with that in mind I plan to just take a years working vacation and enjoy the adjustment.

I'm not moving to New England for the weather, thats just a side effect. lol I don't think it will break the deal but I am taking the advice of cd'ers to heart because I know I give the same advise on the Phoenix forum. I realize it will take me a couple of years to make an adjustment but I think a year will give me a taste. I do love winter sports, so I hear thats a plus.

I am excited for all the changes, I left the Cape when I was a young teen and can't really remember a whole lot but it's been calling me back for years.

I will watch your threads and hope you enjoy your move. I already have the accent from my parents, so I am looking forward to seeing other people use the word "wicked". People just think I dabble in witch craft when it slips off my tongue out here. As well as thinking I'm rude, aw, it will be nice to be back in an area where I'm not rude anymore. It's strange what you keep from your child hood. I am still faking my emotions at 40 out west. Trying to smile appropriately when people talk to me, my family were happy but we just didn't have to have that fake smile on with it. Forget the gift giving, my family loved the holidays but we never jumped up and down, got really excited when we opened gifts but out here it's expected. Our holidays were more "Martha Stewart". I get asked to this day if something is wrong with me. I think, hm, no, I feel great today. It's strange what you pick up at a young age and carry with you.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:42 PM

12 posts, read 25,725 times
Hi Twiggy, sounds like you have to deal with very hot summers like I do. I would take cold over hot any day. I actually get a little depressed in the summer here in CA when it stays in the upper 90s and low 100s for weeks on end.

I visited a friend years ago in Tempe, and my goodness, it was HOT. I also recall the cactus everywhere!

Anyway, we'll see what the future holds for us. Our move will really depend on my husband getting a good job offer. I am really anxious to get out of CA soon - my children are still young and won't be as affected now than if we wait a few years. They are only 3 and 5.

I look forward to hearing how you like things when you get there in February.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:22 PM

44 posts, read 134,668 times
People from NH down to the Cape get Mass accents. What's the difference? Girls LOVE it when you go out of town!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:18 AM

2,394 posts, read 3,339,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovepacnw View Post
Thanks for your feedback MaCTCouple. I have only spent 1 week in the area, and it was in the month of September when the weather was wonderful. I have read about the snow and the cold and rain. I prefer cold to hot weather, but I know that the cold, snowy winters would take some getting used to, especially since I've never lived where it snows.
You spent a week during the best possible weather you can get on the east coast. Here is the short summary:

Winter - dreary, cold, rain, sleet, ice, some snow.
Spring - dreary, wet, cool to cold.
Summer - if there is one - hot and humid (to a degree that Californians have never experienced)
Fall - great, the best part of the year if it is dry enough (regrettably brief)

Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM

661 posts, read 2,419,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
You spent a week during the best possible weather you can get on the east coast. Here is the short summary:

Winter - dreary, cold, rain, sleet, ice, some snow.
Spring - dreary, wet, cool to cold.
Summer - if there is one - hot and humid (to a degree that Californians have never experienced)
Fall - great, the best part of the year if it is dry enough (regrettably brief)
I wouldn't say "hot" to a degree Californians (most) have never experienced. Humid, yes, but not as hot.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM

2,394 posts, read 3,339,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
I wouldn't say "hot" to a degree Californians (most) have never experienced. Humid, yes, but not as hot.
I love desert hot, I hate eastern humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston