U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM

661 posts, read 2,420,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
I love desert hot, I hate eastern humidity.
Yes, you are right. Humidity can be quite a shock to those used to dry heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:09 PM

661 posts, read 2,420,046 times
[quote=lovepacnw;9351314]Hello, we are considering a move to the Boston area. We currently live in Northern CA. We are looking at Winchester or a similar suburb. I know that my husband and I will not pick up the accent, but what about my children? They are 3 and 5. Do you only pick up the accent if you live in the City?

Hubby and I were born and raised in CA, and moved here 9 years ago. I speak with a bit of a CA accent, I admit it. Our kids were born here in MA. We do not live in the city though. For the most part, the kids sound just like us. The only slight differences I notice are in some vowels and expressions. My son sometimes pronounces "water" as "wattah", I think because that is how his pre-school teachers spoke. He also peppers things with "wicked" and calls ice cream sprinkles "jimmies".

Old 06-27-2009, 09:30 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,805,668 times
I don't know why everyone's talking about the accent as something to avoid. Personally I lament the gradual loss of regional accents. I think they're interesting.

In my case, my mom came from Brooklyn and all of her family there has/had a definite, if not Joe Pesci-esque, NY accent. She also had some relatives in South Boston, all with thick Southie accents. My dad's family had Boston accents too, except for my dad's uncle Ray, who went to Princeton and became an Army colonel, and his kids, who grew up in a lot of different places before settling in Winchester.

I had more of a Boston accent as a kid. With more years of education and living away, mostly in NYC, it's definitely faded. What I still tend to do is the non-obvious vowel sounds. Unless I am arguing with someone or have had too many drinks, you probably won't here something like "mahket," but you will often hear me say "that's NAWT the one I meant" or "come meet my friend Petah." Even that is with a light touch, not so obvious that people in California would say, "oh, you're from Boston."

A lot of people from away aren't even familiar with the "NAWT" issue. In NYC, you hear "CAWfee," which sounds grating to my New England ears, but they also say "cop" in NYC. Near Boston, you don't hear the "CAWfee" in so pronounced a way, but the short "o" will be an "aw," as in "the CAWP gave me a ticket."

My girlfriend's family, including younger sisters, all have thick Boston accents, but she doesn't. She does have the slightly Midwestern "aaaa" sound that you'll hear in Boston on words like "pAAAck your luggage." And she always says "Saddidy" for Saturday and "cleansahs" for the cleansers. That's about it.

What your kids might pick up is more of an intonation or a rhythm than a full-on accent. For example, if your hear Matt Damon on an interview, he does not have what you'd consider a classic Boston accent. He only puts in on in the movies sometimes. But when I hear him speak, it sounds like pure Boston to me because I know so many people in Massachusetts who don't "have the accent," and he sounds just like them. It is different, in subtle but noticeable ways, from the "non-accented" speech outside New England.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:27 AM

7,093 posts, read 10,835,768 times

Tourists dislike Boston accent (http://www.myfoxboston.com/dpp/news/offbeat/Tourists_dislike_Boston_accent_062609 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston