Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 10:24 PM

36 posts, read 112,280 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Boston soon, and all I know is that it's an expensive city. And I know living expenses will differ wildly for everyone, but if it's possible to generalize, how much monthly utility fees (probably just electricity, water, and internet; I won't need cable and heat stuff is included in my rent) should I expect? I'll be in a studio (neither very big nor tiny).

And I guess a major source of money spending will be on food (besides rent)... would anyone mind sharing how much $ they spend on food on a weekly basis (assuming eating-out in moderation, and not much fancy cooking at home)? Again, I know there's probably a huge range depending on the person, but if I could get any sort of idea, that would be extremely helpful.

This is my first job after my recent college graduation in May, I'll be earning an entry-level income, and the rent kind of frightened me (I am literally paying quadruple the amount I'm used to paying!)...

PS: What % of my income goes off to taxes and such in MA?
(or: What % of my income do I *actually* receive in MA...?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...le-budget.html

Check out this thread (it's toward the bottom of the first Boston page). It's along the same lines as your question.

Consider a roommate situation if money is a major concern. Check out Craigslist (that's how everyone around here finds roommates). Yes, there's a chance that you'll end up with a terrible roommate, but there are tons of normal, nice people. Craigslist is always how I found them.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 PM

Thanks for the referral.

So holy craaaap.

First of all, I definitely underestimated the % of tax.
Secondly, I had a strong strong preference for a studio so I already signed a lease for that. I should have thought more realistically.

I'll be making $32500.
Minus all the tax (5.3% state tax, 13.7% fed tax, 7.65% ss + medicare)
**not sure if the "ss + medicare" tax rate will be the same for me as the guy who did the budget draft post, but I'll assume this for now?**

--> Monthly net income: 1986.10

--> Monthly rent (heat/hw included, thank god): 1050

--> ~$936./month
This must pay for all my food, utilities, public transportation, and whatever else comes my way. Is this even a feasible figure in a place like Boston...?

Old 08-19-2009, 10:10 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,246 times
Yes, it is feasible. I spend about $200 a week on groceries for a family of five. I'd assume you can get by on $75 to $100, without making any qualitative sacrifice. Since you have heat and hot water, your utilities will be fairly low. Electricity is cheap. Probably your biggest expenses outside of food will be cable/internet ($100) and a Link Pass ($59 for unlimited bus and subway). That will leave you between $300 and $400 a month for other things.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,930 times
Does your company offer health insurance? If so, what is your contribution? You can have it taken out pretax which will save you a little.

Also remember you will have phone bill, on top of electricity, cable/internet (as someone else pointed out). Add to that a clothing allowance (as a new college grad I'm assuming you will need new attire for your job).

I think your budget will be very tight and leave little for entertainment. The harsh reality is a part time night or weekend job might make things a little more comfortable for you.

Good Luck!

Old 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times
Get a roomate (s). Its much easier paying $500 a month than $1000.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:59 PM

thanks for the addendum. in response to some of the tips:

- thankfully, parents will be paying my cell phone bill, as we have a family plan with verizon. so no worries for me on this front.

- also, my job actually won't require new attire, which is another plus.

- i already signed the lease for the small studio, and it's just big enough for *me* to live, so not much i can do about the rent now.

- actually, it looks like my job will be paying for 401k on my behalf -- i also get health insurance benefits and such. so then does that mean that i can cross out the 7.5% of "ss + medicare" tax?? (ie. the only stuff that will be taken off of my paycheck is federal and state tax?)

Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
sorry to say, ss and Medi has nothing to do with your health benefits. yes, you will be paying it. As far as your 401k being paid by your company, that doesn't quite make sense to me. They probably match a portion of what you contribute to your 401k. but at this point in your life where you need every penny, I wouldn't worry about a 401k contribution quite yet.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:12 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
No, social security and medicare will still be deducted from your paycheck. Confirm that health ins. benefits are fully covered by the employer. Often, the cost is subsidized, but a portion of the cost (varies greatly) is taken out of your paycheck (pre tax amount). Also, I'm thinking that the 401K is a match, unless you're in a job that still gives a traditional pension. Meaning, that the company will match what you contribute to your 401K up to a certain amount. It's like free money (you just can't use it yet), but you have to contribute as well.

Assuming you don't have any other debt, it's doable, but you'll need to budget.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM

157 posts, read 493,855 times
what kind of job you do and what is your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston