U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 01:42 PM

3 posts, read 7,455 times

Advertisements

Umbrella Etiquette

Hello. I am relocating to Boston and will be doing alot of walking around the financial district. I'm going to buy a very sturdy umbrella but want to satisfy two criteria:

1) Buy one that is large and strong enough to keep dry
2) Not **** anyone off.

I was looking at a couple GustBuster models. They have a golf sized one that got excellent reviews on Amazon and would undoubtedly meet criteria #1. My concern is that walking on a crowded sidewalk with one of these would be a sure fire way to congest the sidewalk and draw some angry looks. On the other hand, these may be kosher. Let me know. I'm relocating from Rochester NY and am used to commuting from my garage to a covered parking garage. I don't even own an umbrella!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM

4,551 posts, read 9,859,296 times
I use an umbrella all the time all over the place and I knowof no formal rules. I guess I try not to poke people in the face with my umbrella and also try not to drip my wet umbrella on the dry surfaces once I enter a dry building. That being said I am sure I do not suceed. I think I **** my husband off on a regular basis with my umbrella

Old 06-22-2009, 04:12 PM

406 posts, read 1,319,246 times
You'll definitely get looks and worse walking on Boston sidewalks with a golf umbrella. I suggest a regular-sized umbrella; you might annoy people occasionally but you can be secure in the knowledge that you are doing your best to not annoy them.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:56 PM

6,004 posts, read 13,175,853 times
only etiquette I can think of is that the taller person should be the one to raise his/her umbrella so the two don't hit as you pass each other. other than that, yes, a massive umbrella that can shield 10 people from the rain is pretty annoying, no matter where you are. if the diameter of the umbrella exceeds the width of the sidewalk, it's an issue. just buy something cheap and small from CVS/Target/some other store and invest in a good water proof/resistant jacket. my favorite type of umbrellas are the automatic close ones that only require pushing a button to close (don't need to struggle w/ two hands and it's easy to get in and out of cars)

Old 06-23-2009, 01:27 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,061,683 times
etiquette: umbrellas are for EDIT: inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or