U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 10:58 AM

27 posts, read 76,040 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what is the best neighborhood in Boston for young families, and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:25 AM

2,116 posts, read 4,061,683 times
JP.

no 'whys' right now. maybe later

Old 06-23-2009, 07:21 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,210,291 times
'09, you're probably meaning Greater Boston and not the city of B. Aren't you the one who's been looking for a place for Goldwater-Reagan-Cheney types? JP isn't the place, but as others have said, there are plenty of conservatives all over; just not in Jamaica Plain, Cambridge, Northampton-Amherst, and a few other lefty bastions. If you want proof, just read some of the vitriolic opinion pieces in the Boston Herald--someone must be buying that paper! As for young families, the Boston area is great in general--good public education, recreation programs, parks, lots to do.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:41 PM

27 posts, read 76,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
'09, you're probably meaning Greater Boston and not the city of B. Aren't you the one who's been looking for a place for Goldwater-Reagan-Cheney types? JP isn't the place, but as others have said, there are plenty of conservatives all over; just not in Jamaica Plain, Cambridge, Northampton-Amherst, and a few other lefty bastions. If you want proof, just read some of the vitriolic opinion pieces in the Boston Herald--someone must be buying that paper! As for young families, the Boston area is great in general--good public education, recreation programs, parks, lots to do.
Actually, in the above post I was referencing Boston proper. I never mentioned those three names (and actually, as a conservative I don't find Cheney particularly appealing), but yes, I am looking for suggesstions from people on neighborhoods in Boston where a person/family with conservative values would feel comfortable. Not sure what you mean by "vitriolic opinion pieces" in the Herald, but I don't often read their opinion pages, nor the Globe's. Anyway, I'm really not trying to inject politics into anything or get nasty or anything like that, other than I'm just trying to gather some good information before I head back down to this area. If you've got any insights to share on that front, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:38 PM

2,312 posts, read 6,517,224 times
Maybe Dorchester or South Boston would be a good fit for you.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:15 PM

264 posts, read 523,821 times
As someone who's father grew up in Boston, let me just say that the city is no place to raise a family. The schools are terrible, housing is very expensive, and crime is on the rise. You'd be better off in Newton or Quincy.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:07 PM

406 posts, read 1,319,246 times
Gosh, I'm not sure why politics even fit into the mix. I only discuss politics with my close friends or people who bait me. It doesn't exactly come up on the playground or grocery store; and if it does, I can always smile and nod politely.

I'm not sure what a "moderate" would look for in a neighborhood that I wouldn't. I would personally assume it'd be the same things--a safe, friendly place to raise a family--that I'd want.

My top young family neighborhood choices would be Cambridge, Brookline, Belmont, Winchester, Newton, and Arlington. J.P. if you're using private schools. All of those towns provide something a bit different, though; some are suburban, some urban, some tread the line between the 2. I personally love the sense of community in Cambridge and Brookline.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:51 AM

613 posts, read 1,965,258 times
Living in the Boston city limits with a family wouldn't be my top choice, but I'd probably pick parts of JP or more likely, West Roxbury, because they are more residential areas with a greater number of single family homes.

If the point was to live with a family but in more of an urban atmosphere, I'd probably live in a condo in Brookline near Coolidge Corner or Brookline Village. Fantastic schools, very family friendly, proximity to the T and the ability to walk to almost every convenience and amenity. It's a stone's throw away from the Boston city line and if you don't know the area and aren't paying attention to the signs, you may not even realize that you're no longer in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or