Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 09:05 AM

2 posts, read 15,322 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of relocating to Boston, MA and I was curious about the dating scene. I'm a 30 year old professional African American woman. I don't have a preference when it comes to race, I just wanted some honest opinions about the dating scene in Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 08:03 PM

61 posts, read 179,832 times
I think where you are from and what are you looking for is more important (what your used to). I don't know what it's like in the Dallas, TX dating scene, but most people do experience a huge culture shock when they get to Boston.

Old 06-20-2009, 08:51 PM

2 posts, read 15,322 times
Well, I have had a cousin that attended college there and a friend who is in love with Boston, but have never really discussed the dating scene much. They are both from Mississippi and they didn't seem to experience a culture shock while they lived there. I was just curious about the dating scene.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:28 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
I moved here married, so I don't have any actual experience on the dating scene here, but no one seems to be answering so I can at least convey what I've learned from city-data. I think the general consensus is that Boston is a great dating scene if you're in college and the further you stray away the college age or mentality, the more difficult it becomes. It could be selection bias (unsuccessful daters tend to have more time to complain about their lack of success), but that is the stereotype of the Boston dating scene at least. Hopefully someone will correct me and give you a first-hand account.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Boston's being "the world's largest college town" does distort the club scene in favor of persons under 30. While it's becoming somewhat less true in these recessionary times (jobs getting scarcer and the cost of living staying high) the city still tends to be a magnet for folks fresh out of high school or - if they didn't already enroll here for their Bachelor's - college. So what you'll see is nightspots' hyping events like an evening with an '80s-music DJ, and scrapping for bragging rights as to which place serves the most microbrews or mixes the meanest martini. It's all about the young and young-at-heart crowd. Once you've reached a certain stage of chronological (if not mental) maturity it can get tiresome pretty fast.
I realize that the TO takes a "color-blind" attitude toward socializing, but regardless of that I should mention that the club scene specifically for Black adults has been found wanting in this town for a long time. For either lack of support (Skycap Lounge, Tinker's) or due to violent incidents that scare people away (The Gallery, The Rolls Club) places simply can't stay in business. In the absence of a citywide gathering spot, when AA individuals here want to meet and mingle in a relatively race-specific setting they visit a neighborhood lounge or get involved with a fraternal (Masons, Elks, etc) organization that has a dedicated meeting hall or clubhouse - not to mention going to church.
Boston still lags behind much of the US when it comes to "race relations," but the climate has improved by leaps and bounds during the three decades I've lived in Massachusetts. No longer do conversations stop and heads swivel in a bar when a person who's "of color" walks in. There are many more towns and city neighborhoods where diversity is a given and no one gets inferior treatment. Interracial couples don't feel conspicuous now that almost every other White guy seems to be paired with an Asian woman (in particular.) Prejudiced and "ugly" people will never completely vanish from the face of the earth. But their attitudes are less the norm at present than ever before.
Having said all that, the rules for having a better chance for meeting "someone nice" are the same as always: Find and join a faith community, volunteer your time for a worthy cause, take night-school classes, affiliate with your college's alumni association, be politically active in your neighborhood and for a party or person...

Old 06-21-2009, 04:52 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
I see lots of interracial couples in the Boston area. I suggest you DM C-D member sportsfangal and ask her about her dating experiences in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston