U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:25 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,546,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
I set my central air conditioning in my house to the low 80s. And the air conditioning has been going non-stop all summer just to bring my house "DOWN" to 82.
Sounds like time to get the repairman out, insulate the ducts, or buy a more appropriately sized unit.

I agree that 105 would be pretty miserable, but I still think I'd rather have hot weather. I can choose to stay in the A/C, go to the beach or pool, or sit in the shade and sweat.

To me when I lived in MA and NY State, nothing was worse than one of those storms that dropped 1 to 2 feet, then the two days of shoveling and cleanup, only to be followed a couple of days later by another storm and more shoveling....and on and on. When it wasn't snowing, an arctic high pressure system would pass through and we'd have nice blue skies but the temperature would be 25 degrees for the high and overnight would be single digits or below.

Now when it gets below freezing here in Atlanta, everyone panics as if the world is ending. If we get 1/2 inch of snow the city shuts down and then it's 50 degrees the next day and all is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 AM

2,262 posts, read 6,283,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sounds like time to get the repairman out, insulate the ducts, or buy a more appropriately sized unit.

To me when I lived in MA and NY State, nothing was worse than one of those storms that dropped 1 to 2 feet, then the two days of shoveling and cleanup, only to be followed a couple of days later by another storm and more shoveling....and on and on. When it wasn't snowing, an arctic high pressure system would pass through and we'd have nice blue skies but the temperature would be 25 degrees for the high and overnight would be single digits or below.
Sadly, that's about standard. Most air conditioners (according to our repair person)... or maybe just ours... can't cool a house more than 30 degrees or so. That's actually fine with me since I like it when it's about 80 in the house. It's just sad that the air conditioner needs to run non-stop day & night just to bring the temp to 80!

I'm with you on the shovelling. There really is almost nothing worse than shovelling out your driveway/car, soaking wet & freezing, looking for a place to dump your snow because it's already piled up around you. And you dump it and it just slides back down into your driveway. UGH! I am really not looking forward to that... for my husband, heh.

Old 07-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
There really is almost nothing worse than shovelling out your driveway/car, soaking wet & freezing, looking for a place to dump your snow because it's already piled up around you. And you dump it and it just slides back down into your driveway.
So true. We used to kid around that our driveway was in a tunnel because of the 6 foot high snow banks on either side. I'm sitting here chuckling about there being no more room and having it slide back down...so true.

The other part of winter in New England that was dreadful was the very early darkness. It used to start to get dark in Boston around 4:30pm. Driving to work in the dark and coming home in the dark for days in winter just took its toll sometimes.

I don't miss the winter at all. I know life isn't all about weather, and there is more to living than a warm sunny day, but I really think my outlook on life has gotten better since I don't dread the winter any more.

Old 07-17-2009, 06:35 AM

2,312 posts, read 6,533,755 times
In New England I find life is very much about the weather. It's a very "weathery" place.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 956 times
Boston weather sucks. Winter is long and cruel (as low as 19F during the day). Summer is too short, and it can get burning hot too (above 100F).

A couple weeks ago, it was so cold outside that I feared my nose was getting detached.
Also, it is burdensome and dangerous walking on snow and ice on the sidewalks.

I definitely prefer hot than cold weather. Living in Boston is a torture. I can't wait to move to a nicer city. Any recommendations?

Last edited by weather complaint; 02-21-2011 at 09:15 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 PM

6,687 posts, read 11,943,939 times
South Fla or South Texas. Warmest areas of North America year round. Maybe look into Austin or San Antonio, Texas. Year round mild to hot weather year round.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
South Fla or South Texas. Warmest areas of North America year round. Maybe look into Austin or San Antonio, Texas. Year round mild to hot weather year round.
South Florida sucks. Like living in a crime ridden 3rd world country. The Gulf coast of Florida is much nicer, in the Tampa or Sarasota or Naples areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston