Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 12:28 PM

143 posts, read 651,944 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am at my wits end with my property manager. The apartment I am in has so many problems, from mold, to possible structural problems (a piece of ceiling fell off in my roommates room). The property manager visited, said the problems would be fixed, and has since fallen off the face of the earth. Has anyone ever dealt with this before? Where do I go from here?

I live in Brookline, and can't seem to find anything about code enforcement on the city's webpage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,120 times
Document everything. Photograph problems and communicate with the property manage via certified mail so you have verification that they received the complaint. Also, I would not try to remediate the mold yourself. Sometimes you can make it worse, depending on the type it is. They need to not only get rid of the mold but eliminate the source of moisture that's causing the problem. That usually requires a mold remediation company. Don't settle for them saying they'll just bleach it. That's not a solution.

I believe you have the right to withhold rent until they fix the problem but don't quote me on that. I'd check with someone who knows more about the general rules of MA.
I believe there is a Mass Tenant Rights Association. You might google it. Also here are some links that may be useful.

Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections: Massachusetts

Tenants' Rights in Massachusetts: Private Housing - MassLegalHelp

http://www.mass.gov/Cago/docs/Consumer/LandlordTenant073007.pdf (broken link)

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston