U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:39 AM

7,336 posts, read 15,302,120 times

Advertisements

I take 95 all the way as it's the quickest. You can avoid most congestion by leaving Boston between 6-9 at night. This way you hit the major cities (Providence, New Haven, Stamford, NYC, Newark, Wilmington/metro Philly, Baltimore, Washington) during the late night/ early morning hours to avoid traffic. After D.C., Richmond may get a bit slow, but usually not bad and the rest of the way is easy but long.

Safe travels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,994 times
I will be driving a Ford F350 with a 42 FT fifth wheel RV from Boston to Daytona Beach Fl. Somebody Help. I know there are some roads and bridges I can not go on. there must be a way around. HELP!

Old 11-01-2014, 07:50 PM

7,065 posts, read 10,810,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dietenhofer View Post
I will be driving a Ford F350 with a 42 FT fifth wheel RV from Boston to Daytona Beach Fl. Somebody Help. I know there are some roads and bridges I can not go on. there must be a way around. HELP!
You can ask this on our Travel forum. Someone there is sure to know.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:58 PM

21 posts, read 20,382 times
We recently drove from Orlando to Boston and ran into that problem. It wasn't a major thing. We tried to go into the lower level of the Brooklyn Bridge and the person at the toll sent us to the top. Then leaving the city there was one road (I believe it was Hutchinson Parkway) that wouldn't allow trucks. It was sort of stressful at the time since we didn't see it coming and were in the final stretch so pretty ready to be done. Google maps couldn't get the picture to avoid it so I had to direct us myself, reading the map. It wasn't a big deal for me but I know some people hate reading maps. NYC was pretty crazy though with a truck period so you may want to either avoid it entirely or at least carefully consider the time as PP have said.

Old 11-02-2014, 07:17 PM

4,837 posts, read 9,233,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrac View Post
Take 84 to Scranton PA to 81 through VA to 77 through NC SC then 26 in SC to 95 south. fastest most beautiful path to FL in the summer And Not one CENT in tolls (saves nearly $70 nowadays) I just took that 3 weeks ago.
Plus you avoid the big 5 (NY NJ DE MD DC)
^ This is the fastest way if you drive during the day. I've done most of this route about 30 times in the past 15 years. I've done it quicker once when I drove I-95 the whole way, but I started after dinner and pulled an all-nighter.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurasaur25 View Post
We recently drove from Orlando to Boston and ran into that problem. It wasn't a major thing. We tried to go into the lower level of the Brooklyn Bridge and the person at the toll sent us to the top. Then leaving the city there was one road (I believe it was Hutchinson Parkway) that wouldn't allow trucks. It was sort of stressful at the time since we didn't see it coming and were in the final stretch so pretty ready to be done. Google maps couldn't get the picture to avoid it so I had to direct us myself, reading the map. It wasn't a big deal for me but I know some people hate reading maps. NYC was pretty crazy though with a truck period so you may want to either avoid it entirely or at least carefully consider the time as PP have said.
Do you mean the George Washington Bridge? The Brooklyn Bridge is out of the way (signficantly so) for through traffic and only has one level for vehicles. The G.W. has two decks and only allows trucks on the top deck.

You can skirt NYC by taking the Tappan Zee Bridge (I-287/87) which may be easier than 95 through NYC.

If you do end up taking 95 through the city, lose the map and GPS and just follow the signs for I-95. Your GPS will assume you're a passenger car and disregard truck detours, so ignore it and keep a look out for signs that point trucks or through trucks a certain direction. When you get to the GW Bridge, you'll see signs that point toward the upper deck and they're very clear "all trucks upper deck."

Old 01-08-2015, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,709 times
can anyone recommend a motel/inn chain that is pet friendly.
i'm elderly and traveling alone with my pup from boston to sarasota?
thank you

Old 01-09-2015, 05:33 AM

7,065 posts, read 10,810,797 times
I believe the La Quinta hotels allow pets.

La Quinta Inns & Suites Official Site - Hotels, Reservations, Hotel Deals

Old 01-09-2015, 03:25 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,249,422 times
Some Best Westerns allow pets, too. Don't know if it's the whole chain or not but we've stayed at the one in Stafford/Aquia VA a few times, including once with three cats.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgalaxy View Post
can anyone recommend a motel/inn chain that is pet friendly.
i'm elderly and traveling alone with my pup from boston to sarasota?
thank you
All Starwood hotels are pet friendly (no additional cost) and provide pet beds, etc. upon request. Starwood hotels include all Sheraton, Four Points by Sheraton, Westin, W, Aloft, Element, Le Meridian, St. Regis and the Luxury Collection (a variety of boutique hotels inc. the Liberty Hotel in Boston). Obviously the St. Regis is a far cry from a motel or inn, but there are Sheratons, Alofts and Four Points all along the route at reasonable rates. (I can personally recommend the Westin, and the Four Points by BWI near Baltimore... great hotels for the money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or