Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:14 AM

7 posts, read 25,958 times

Advertisements

I just took a new job in Boston working for a great company, now it's time to find a place to live. We have a 2 1/2 year old and another on the way as my wife is 6 months preggo. We want to live in an area where there is lots of grass, is family oriented, and a drive no more than 30 minutes to Boston. If we could find an area that had a train ride into the city so I wouldn't have to drive that would be even better. We are looking to pay $1000 a month for rent for atleast a 3 bedroom place, I don't even know if that is possible, but it's all we can afford. Philadelphia has been a very cheap place to live and I know Boston is going to be a big difference. We are not familiar with Boston or the outlying area's what so ever, so any help would be appreciatted. I will be working near the corners of Gloucester St./Newbury St. and also near the Faneuil Hall Marketplace and would like to have an easy way to get from where I live to these locations be it train or car within a half hour's time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 01:24 PM

10,014 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Yikes, it seems nobody informed you about the cost of living in the Boston area! It sounds like you will want to be on a train line that takes you to the Back Bay. Check this site: MBTA.com > Official Website for Greater Boston's Public Transportation System
Those trains are the ones that go south and west of the city. To find a nice area within 30 minutes or so will be a challenge.

The only suggestion I can come up with is perhaps Norwood. Even then, probably more like a 2 bedroom. Rents (and houses) are really expensive here.

Since you have a family, I know a safe area is not something you can compromise on, so I think you will have to look further out or get a smaller place.

Old 05-28-2007, 02:10 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,473,891 times
Boston doesn't really have a lot of steals as far as housing, you're going to have to make some compromises. There is absolutely no way on earth that you're going to find a 3 BR within 30 mins driving of Boston for 1k/month. You're going to have to at least double the amount you're willing to pay for a place.

You really should prioritize what you're looking for a in a house/area then you'll probably get better suggestions for housing and find the price ranges.

Check some of the outer suburbs on the edge of the red line. Places like Brookline might work out well on one end of the T, on the other end you can look at Belmont, Arlington, Lexington, Watertown, maybe Waltham. They're not right on the T, but there's fairly frequent bus access there, if you don't mind taking the bus. I've gone from Arlington into Boston for school for the past year via the bus/T, and it takes me 45 mins to an hour to get in (closer to an hour).

Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am starting to realize more and more that this is going to be nearly impossible for me to find anything I can afford, unfortunatelly I have no option as the restaurant I have been running in Philly closes tomorrow and I am out of work until I do move. I better find something quick.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:09 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,446 times
You should check out boston.com's real estate section.

I did a quickie for Malden, MA and here are the listings.

Apartments for Rent Malden MA - Boston.com (http://re.boston.com/rentals/List_Listings.asp?CityName=Malden&ST=MA&BRooms=8&L Price=0&HPrice=1500&RoS=R - broken link)

You are probably not going to get top of the line places here. However, Malden is a nice working class town that has easy access to Boston, 30 minutes or so to Back Bay is doable on the orange line. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 01:55 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,486,707 times
I suggest looking in NH. Commute may be longer, but housing is cheaper.

Old 05-29-2007, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 12,792 times
Default wow

heres the deal, Ive lived in northeast philly and all over boston. you are really in need of some help-

like everyone is telling you - its expensive... but only the housing really, you may even find the supermarkets to be cheaper up here and that sort of stuff. you'll probably save on gas too.

within 30 mins is prolly not gonna be easy. think of the traffic getting to the last few exits before race street at 7:30-8:30am and double it. what time does your job start? if you leave the house at 6-6:15 its possible to get to the city by car in 30 mins from an affordable suburb, but you will NOT be able to find parking. especially newbury street. with that said your not gonna be able to drive in(maybe on a motorcycle).

also car insurance is cheaper here from what i remember of philly.

ok so you need to take the train/bus,
your only gonna find a 3 br for 1000$ in the slums, so im sure you dont want that. the best area to live in my opinion is west of the city- west cambride, belmont, watertown, arlington, lexington. all of which are gonna run you 1500-2500 per month for 3br and will get you to newbury street within 45mins to 1hour. if you pm me i could talk to you more about this over the phone- im sypathetic to yer cause because i did the same thing your trying to do with my wife and kids 10 years ago.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:06 PM

Your setup isn't excepting PM's....

Old 05-30-2007, 10:31 AM

3 posts, read 12,792 times
Default email

you can email me at

salmonman2006@yahoo.com

Old 05-30-2007, 11:02 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marquardtseast View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I am starting to realize more and more that this is going to be nearly impossible for me to find anything I can afford, unfortunatelly I have no option as the restaurant I have been running in Philly closes tomorrow and I am out of work until I do move. I better find something quick.
Can I interject here? I am in Charlotte, NC. We were recently rated the #1 LEAST overpriced place to live. Philidelphia was rated #8. On the other hand, Boston is one of the MOST overpriced places to live - so you can see how you may be setting yourself up for financial difficulties. Do you HAVE to go to Boston? Have you considered NC? Raleigh is the #2 least expensive place to live, but Charlotte would offer more opportunities in the food service industry. We have a busy convention center, and NASCAR, bringing many folks to town all the time. Our restuarants are always busy. Just a thought...

Here is the link to the article if anyone wants to verify what I have said:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/03/mar...t_slide_2.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston