Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2009, 09:40 PM

61 posts, read 179,329 times

Advertisements

So I've been looking at Lofts and Condos in Buildings such as FP3 and other such new condo/loft buildings.

It seems like with this current real estate market these condo prices have come down to affordable levels, currently looking at a 1BD / 1BR 1000 sq ft unit for about $400,000.00

My biggest question (since as you all know I am new to Boston) is, what are the general characteristics of the neighborhoods in the city?

The fp3 is in the Fort Point area, which I have no clue about. I've so far liked the financial district and back bay.

I hear both good and bad things about Jamaica Plain, some people say its the worst crime area while another friend says that he lives there with his family and there are no problems.

Considering the fact that I am from Miami, the worst neighborhood here is like Disney World in Miami. That being said I want to try to maybe get a short synopsis on the different buildings and neighborhoods perhaps from others who actually have lived or currently reside in one of these condo buildings.

TIA <<<<-------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 AM

613 posts, read 2,300,781 times
The Fort Point Channel and Seaport area has been built up A LOT the last few years. It used to be a very industrial area, but there are a lot of new residential buildings. Also, hotels, restaurants, bars, and museums etc. There are some very fun places, I might add. However, whenever I'm in the area, it's still a bit desolate even though there is a lot more going on than before.

Jamaica Plain is not the worst crime area, but parts of it border some rough areas. JP is actually a pretty neat part of Boston (also the home of the Sam Adams Brewery). My friend bought a condo in JP a few years ago and she was just particular on what streets and what parts of JP she wanted. I don't know JP street by street, but she was looking "pond side" (near the Jamaica Pond). However, don't take that as an end all of what's a good area. There are some terrific spots there, but when looking at individual properties, you may want to consult with a friend or realtor who really knows the area. Also, I always say, check out an area at night.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 AM

157 posts, read 492,738 times
hey Lcstyle I'm also moving to Boston (from ohio), you may this one of my previous post useful to you, the people on this forum gave me some great advice. We are also both looking at condo with same budget

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...er-boston.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...a-best-us.html

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,401,494 times
Thumbs up Fort point-seaport district

The Fort Point -seaport district is Boston's newest neighborhood

Boston's Seaport District Booming
Boston's Seaport District is Booming (http://ezinearticles.com/?Bostons-Seaport-District-is-Booming&id=1475984 - broken link)

New destination dining- South Boston Seaport
Boston's Seaport District is Booming (http://ezinearticles.com/?Bostons-Seaport-District-is-Booming&id=1475984 - broken link)

Some attractions nearby

Childrens museum
Welcome to Boston Children's Museum

Hood milk bottle
Boston, MA - Hood Milk Bottle

ICA - Institute of Contemporary art
ICA Home | Welcome

Anthony's Pier 4
The Anthony's Pier 4 Family of Restaurants

Bank of america concert pavillion
Bank of America Pavilion Concert Tickets, Schedule, Information |Official Live Nation Site

Mortons Steakhouse
Morton's The Steakhouse - The Best Steak Anywhere!

Legal Test Kitchen
LTK Bar and Kitchen

Fort point-seaport area restaurants
BostonChefs.com: restaurants in Fort Point/Seaport, Boston, MA - featuring the best chefs and restaurants in Fort Point/Seaport, Boston MA

Blue Wave restaurant
Blue Wave Restaurant - (617) 790-0720 - Fort Point Boston, MA 02210 - Reviews | CitySquares

Flour bakery and cafe
Flour Bakery + Cafe - 12 Farnsworth St Boston MA (Fort Point) - CHOW (http://www.chow.com/places/30164 - broken link)

Tea party ship and museum
reopening summer 2010
Boston Tea Party Ship & Museum

Kelly's Seaport Cafe
Kelly's Seaport Cafe - Waterfront - Boston, MA

Sebastian's Cafe
Sebastians Cafe - Waterfront - 157 Seaport Blvd Boston MA 02210 - CityVoter

Salvatore's Italian
Salvatores Restaurant

Seaport Bar and grille
Seaport Bar & Grille

the coolest thing about Fan pier area--seaport district is its so close to the city you can just walk most places to the financial district-waterfront area, etc. and maybe a 30-40 minutes walk anywhere in Boston -
or just hop on the "T" --at South Station (Red Line) or walk to the Aquarium (blue line) or Downtown crossing (Orange-Red line) where you can walk from Downtown Crossing through the underground pedestrina tunnel to the green line

Once at the financial district you can pretty much walk anywhere within 20 minutes.
or you are pretty close to all the subway lines ---

Cabs are readily available in this area especially around the world trade center--convention center area, and/or the hotels as well

Overall it is definitely one area to consider living

Old 07-06-2009, 06:52 PM

157 posts, read 492,738 times
Dreamwork are you currently residing at the seaport district?

Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

Default Nope

Nope, I reside in Winchester, but I have lived here just about all of my 32 years. I am working on a travel guide for off the beaten path type places as well as the hot -spots in Boston :-)

and beyond

Old 07-06-2009, 10:43 PM

Default travel guide

Am actually taking most of the pictures for the book myself.

its fun to walk around and get interesting shots

I've become a pro at google search finding info etc. and other web-sites. in my research
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston