Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,137 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

I have a new job offer in Boston so I'm looking to move there very quickly. My first priority is finding a place to live. I'm going to be working in Winthrop. Ideally I'd like to find a single family home to rent. My budget may keep me from doing that. I have to stay under $1500 a month, but I am willing to commute an hour or maybe slightly more each way. Can anyone make some suggestions on where to look, and/or recommend a property brokerage to contact?

Thanks!

-dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM

118 posts, read 478,062 times
have u tried craigslists or rent.com?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 6,288 times
If your coming to Boston to work or in close proximity and you have children and pets. Speaking form experience, don't even think about it unless money is not an issue. I have lived in most of the surrounding cities and the best thing I ever did was go north about 30mi. I was skeptical of complexes until a friend showed me his place. I have been here a year. For a 1 bedroom apt I pay $1,188. I believe a 2 bedroom is around $1400. There is a promotion of two months free rent when you sign a one year lease. How cool is that. All my utilities sum to about $100 to $150 a month. Almost every apt has a view of the city because it was built on very high ground. I believe it's only about 5 year old. Safe quiet for children and pets. I don't have any children now and it's the quietest neighborhood I have ever lived in. There is common lounge with big screen TV, wifi and a coffee bar. Pool, Movie theater and gym. Service for any issue 24/7 and it's fast and courteous. They take care of the snow on the grounds better than any city I have lived in. No shoveling beautiful landscaping.Very close to all major highways. The traffic is very doable. I-93 goes straight into Boston and surrounding areas. I have a 30 min commute in the morning and about 45min the evening, Depending on your schedule. The commute is not that bad but it is the only complaint I have.

Last edited by CaseyB; 08-28-2009 at 10:24 AM..

Old 08-28-2009, 03:10 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,430,746 times
Are you single Dave or do you have a family? $1500 is not a lot in BOS - really barely enough for a 2 bedroom rental. You can be real close to work for that if you are a single guy and don't really need a house. Otherwise, you'll need to look north. Give us more info, we'll help you out.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:28 PM

38 posts, read 121,245 times
Dave - I just moved to the boston area and was a bit taken by what is available for rent. I ran out of time and rented a temporary place in newburyport but it is too far from town. I looked all over from the north end to natick. I eventually found a place in Salem. I liked having the ability to take the T into Boston, a ferry into Boston and being right off the 1a. I was able to get a huge 2br 2ba with a 2cg for the same price of a 1br 1ba with no parking. Look around - salem may not be the best place for you but it sure worked out for me.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:37 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,399,290 times
Default Try Meffa, Watatown, QuinZ, and Summaville!

Try Arlington (eastern Arlington near Cambridge) or perhaps Davis Square area of Somerville or Medford. Medford is also nice with easy access to Boston.
Maybe Watertown or Quincy as well.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:38 AM

Cool City Point - Southie

You might also look out around CIty point in Southie, They have some good bus routes into the Copley Square area. on a regular basis and its in general a nice area. out by City Point if you dont mind the plane noise from logan

Old 08-30-2009, 02:39 AM

Cool Back bay/Fenway

Also look in the Back Bay or Fenway Section (off Newbury St.)
the Fens is quite nice --and easy "T" access. near Fenway park etc.
Back bay is nice hip area.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:23 PM

5 posts, read 10,891 times
Consider staying right in Winthrop! I think it's one of Boston's best-kept secrets: Affordable, on the ocean, some good restaurants, and close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston