Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 07:24 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times

Advertisements

My main reason for suggesting JP is that the OP is in the early stages of the search, so it seems that any place that even might be a fit is worth looking into at this stage. Agreed, though, that Boston city schools could really be an issue with JP. Also, regarding the fact that there are both nice and not-so-nice areas in JP, it's probably true in many cities, but is definitely true in Boston because of its fairly compact land area, that you can find some really nice neighborhoods which are only a few blocks away from some pretty bad areas. Because of the fact that even in the nice neighborhoods you may be pretty close to some areas you'd probably want to avoid, JP might not be the best option if being surrounded for a good distance by nice safe neighborhoods is a priority. If the tone of Somerville appeals to the OP, though, JP is similar enough that it might be worth keeping on the initial long list of possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,837,616 times
Somerville has some not-so-nice areas too. JP has a patrician history--Sumner Hill, which Holden mentioned, along with the Pondside and Moss Hill sections, were wealthy enclaves years ago, and still have the architecture to prove it. So there are lots of lovely streets to walk through--not so true in Somerville. Whereas Somerville seems more uniform, JP has elegant areas, middling areas, and a couple of dodgy ones. No place around Boston comes close to JP for greenspace, with Jamaica Pond, Arnold Arboretum, and Franklin Park all right there. Ogre is right--it should be on your list.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:14 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,526,002 times
I would def. keep Brookline in mind. There is a veritable army of single mothers, a good school system, lots of recreation opportunities, close to Boston. It's expensive but with some digging you may turn up a good deal on a *small* 2 bedroom, or perhaps a house share with another family.

I know Brookline has a reputation for being wealthy, but it really has a huge socioeconomic span, and if you're looking for diversity you're not going to get more international than Brookline.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:36 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
I think Sommerville, JP, and Brookline are all good options. If you were more familiar with the area, I might make a few more recommendations, but it will be hard to even scope out the three main listed choices. Overall, I think you will find Brookline a bit on the expensive end, but that is largely because the quality of schools shifts the market. If you don't have school age kids, Brookline is not worth the added cost.

That said, I think people are overstating the school dilemma. I have two children in Boston Public Schools, and I am quite pleased with that option. The one thing I do agree with is that you will face some school complexity if you choose a Boston neighborhood. The system is large, can be confusing, and does require some effort to maximize access to available resources. You won't find that issue in either Brookline or Sommerville, because the systems are much smaller, and are essentially one size fits all.

Old 08-14-2009, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 8,631 times
You guys are so full of great tips. Ogre and everyone thank you. So I finally got a job and will be working at Childrens Hospital. I thought that would be the hard part, but this housing thing is making me nuts and I am so behind the eight ball with the big Sept 1st move in thing. What about West Roxbury? Someone told me it was a nice place and rent is way down there. I am not worried about school as such, as odd as it may seem I would rather some diversity in the school than great score results. My youngest daughter is a lot on the eclectic side (picture gas mask and ball gown for her masqurade prom!) and has had a really hard time dealing with the other students in her school in Maine, she's a smart girl and will make it after HS, I'd really rather her life be simpler socially first. So I will look at JP also, I just get nervous because I don't know the dividing lines well.
Thank you all again so much.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:28 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,914,110 times
LOL about your daughter's prom costume. I mean that in the sense of laughing in appreciation of an original spirit. I think you're right about how she'll do once she's grown. There are always a few jerks around, but most mature adults appreciate someone who is appealingly different. It's really too bad, though, that these free spirits first have to go through those years of being around kids, who can make life rough for other kids who march to their different drummers.

Regarding where to live, West Rox. is overall probably the most suburban section of Boston. In terms of physical appearance of the place, you would assume you actually were in the suburbs. Here are links to a few pics to give you the idea:

File:1921Branch.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:1989Branch.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Centre Street.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Theodore Parker Church.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:WesterlyBG.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

File:Saint Theresa WR.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

For the most part, suburban, but a nice tree-shaded, cozy older kind of somewhat inner suburban area.

Here are some links to statistics about W. Rox.:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/dnd/pdfs...PD_Profile.pdf

http://www.cityofboston.gov/parks/Op...singTables.pdf.

86 percent white. Not highly mixed, but moreso than I would have thought given the area's fairly suburban image.

If W. Rox. or another section within the city of Boston itself holds some appeal, let's keep our fingers crossed that someone familiar with the school system will get on here with advice. Also someone who's likely to know the good and bad neighborhoods in JP.

If W. Rox. in particular seems appealing, because the immediate neighborhood is clean and basically safe, but you also have access to the varied city population and are fairly close to urban amenities, I would also suggest taking a close look at that northwestern/Fresh Pond section of Cambridge, and at the east side of Arlington, and maybe Belmont as well (though your daughter would encounter more of a white bread bunch of kids at school in Belmont than in Cambridge).

Last but not least, congratulations on the job!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyndechick View Post
I've lurked on this post for a couple months now, and you are all way cool for all the wonderful advise you give! So here's my question...in a round about way! I am a single mom with two artistic teen girls 16&18 (why is this suddenly sounding like a match.com ad!?) We are very eclectic and tolerant, leaving Maine for some diversity. I like the fact that Somerville is very close to Boston without being right in the 'city', so I have been looking that way for an apartment. It looks like I will probably be working at a hospital in Boston, so public transport is a plus since you Mass drivers still scare me! I also keep seeing apartments there in my price range (1500 or so, more if utilities are included). Anyway, if you've made it this far into my rant, will we like this town, in your opinion of course! Thanks!
Try Arlington, Bedford, J.P.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I think JP and Somerville are very comparable. As Ogre says, it depends entirely on where in JP you are, but JP is a great area. The traditional division is that "Pondside," i.e. between Centre St and the Jamaicaway/Arborway below Perkins St is very nice and quiet. Between Centre St. and the train tracks it depends. Sumner Hill (east of Centre St. near Revere St, Greenough) is a beautiful area. The traditionally more problematic areas were north and east: Jackson Square, near Bromley-Heath projects, Hyde Square, and east of the train tracks in Egleston Square. In my experience, the area near Doyle's is OK, east of Washington from about Green St down to the Arborway.

The Woodbourne area (south of Forest Hills, east of Hyde Park Av) and Moss Hill (southwest of the Pond) are nice and suburban. Opinion is mixed on Forest Hills. Apparently the Forest Hills station has some crime, but my friends were there for about 5 years and never had any problems. Nor have I.

One issue in JP is the Boston Public Schools. There are some good ones, but the system is a bit complicated and may not be worth the headache. I've heard some schools in Somerville have some issues too, but I don't know that system well enough to have any particulars.
I loved J.P. but the Pondside is great. The school issue with a child 16 unless into private
which also might work? J.P. is near transportation, and the into Boston!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston