Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2009, 05:46 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,982,839 times

Advertisements

When I grew up in Boston my parents used to take me to a retail fish market on the waterfront that was part of the fish exchange. Is there still a retail outlet for the regions fresh fish? I live in Maine but nearly all the areas daily sea catches goe to the Boston fish exchange and then are redistributed throughout the region. If I buy fish from an area market here it is Maine or NH fish caught at sea, shipped to Boston, auctioned, shipped back here to retailers. Can you say 5 days old fish is fresh?
Short of catching them myself I want FRESH fish. Where to get them in Boston for consumer consumption?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,498,574 times
In addition to any answers you get here I recommend you check out the Chowhound website--the level of knowledge about food on that site is astonishing.

There are a couple of stores on the south shore that sell fresh fish, but that's a little far for you. I would imagine there are a couple on the north shore.

But keep in mind that by the time the boats come into port the fish have already been dead a few days. The only way to get get just caught fish is to go out and catch it yourself!

I ate a restaurant in NYC this summer and paid 65 bucks for a mediterranean fish (for 2) that was caught the day before and flown in.... Fresh fish is a real luxury these days.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:46 PM

12,592 posts, read 21,740,051 times
tcrackly, I forget the name of the place, but there was one I used to go to in Portland (Commercial St.) that had fresh stuff just about daily. Mostly monkfish and some other groundfish (lobster of course) that was caught locally and came straight from the dock (you had to ask what was bought at auction and what was really fresh).

In Massachusetts, (I'm sure there are more) I've found the best to be Kyler in New Bedford, MA (just off of 195). It's all straight off the boat. It's the real deal. I bet Gloucester, Rockport, or maybe even Salem has some that are easier to reach for you, but Kyler is my go-to spot for fresh seafood. In fact, many Scallops, flounder, etc that I bought in Maine came from New Bedford (ask almost any restaurant and your Scallops are from NB). Kyler ships stuff too if you don't want to drive.

Another good retailer is Amaral's . Some wholesalers will negotiate smaller portions if you call. I've gotten M&B (for Scallops), and Eastern Fisheries to do this for me. There are dozens more without websites (google search "New Bedford Seafood market" and you'll get a map). It's the nation's highest grossing fishing port and it's hard to beat for the freshest seafood.

If you vacation on the Cape, there's a good little auction down in Chatham for the freshest catch. I'd check it out if you're ever down there.

The problem with seafood is that even if it's straight off the boat (this is particularly true with Tuna, Swordfish and other larger fish), it's likely been sitting on ice for about 5-10 days first.

Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM

793 posts, read 1,445,452 times
In the Boston area you have a few options:

New Deal Fish Market (East Cambridge) :Untitled Document

Captain Boston Fish (Medford): Google Maps

Reliable Market (Somerville): Google Maps

Courthouse Seafood (East Cambridge): Courthouse Seafood

A couple other smaller options are:

Yankee Lobster (Seaport): Yankee Lobster Company and Fish Market

Morse Fish Company (South End): Google Maps

James Hook and Company for Shellfish (Seaport): James Hook & Company

Old 08-11-2009, 04:37 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,397,302 times
New Deal Fish Market - Cambridge
Untitled Document

Courthouse Seafood is great
Courthouse Seafood
Lechemere Neighborhood - Cambridge

Cherry St. Fish Market - 26 Hobart St.
Danvers
Cherry Street Fish Market Danvers, Ma 01923

Ipswich Shellfish Fish Market - 8 Hayward St (Ipswich)
Ipswich Fish Market - North Shore's home for Quality Seafood, Upscale Catering, Wedding Catering, Event Catering, Clambakes and more...

Captain Judd's Northborough Fish Market
369 West Main St. (Northborough)off route 20
Captain Jud's.com

Essex Seafood Restaurant and Fish Market
Essex MA
Essex Seafood Restaurant and Fish Market, Essex MA

Wulf's Fish Market - - 407 Harvard Street Brookline
Visit to Wulf's Fish Market

Wimpys Seafood Cafe and Fish Market
752 Main St. Cape Cod Osterville
Cape Cod Restaurant-Wimpy' s Seafood Cafe and Fish Market, Osterville, MA

Lobster Tail Restaurant and Fish Market
Andover
Lobster Tail - Restaurant and Fish Market

David's Fish Market and Lobster Pound
Salisbury MA
The Freshest Seafood in MAss. and NH - Newburyport,Salisbury, Amesbury Seafood - David's Fish Market & Lobster Pound

Hatch's Fish Market
Cape Cod - Wellfleet
Wellfleet's Hatch's Fish Market offers Cape Cod's freshest Fish, Seafood and Produce.

North End Fish Market Boston MA
North End
99 Salem St.

Yankee Lobster Fish Market
Seaport/Fan Pier Area
Southie (South Boston)
300 Northern AVe.
Yankee Lobster Fish Market - Restaurant - Boston, MA, United States - Tupalo (http://tupalo.com/en/boston-massachusetts/yankee-lobster-fish-market - broken link)
Yankee Lobster Company and Fish Market

Atlantic Sea Grille and Fish Market
Acton
Atlantic Sea Grill Restaurant and Fish Market Acton, Massachusetts (Seafood Restaurants)

Larsen's Fish Market
chilmark Martha's Vineyard
Larsens Fish Market - Chilmark, MA

Maplewood Fish Market
Malden MA (Salem St)
Maplewood Fish Market in Malden, MA Foodio54.com

Kim's Fresh Fish Market
551 Washington St. - Boston
Kims Fresh Fish Market - Boston, MA 02111 - fish & seafood at Matchpoint.com

John's Fish Market - Sandy's Fish and Chips
Vineyard Haven - Martha's Vineyard Cape Cod
John's Fish Market / Sandy's Fish & Chips-Vineyard Haven, MA Dining, Restaurant

Fernandes Fish Market
Cambridge
Fernandes Fish Market - Cambridge, MA. 02139 - CHOW (http://www.chow.com/places/50302 - broken link)

Fish Market
Allston/Brighton
Fish Market - Allston/Brighton - Boston, MA

Star Fish Market
Roxbury Egleston Square
Star Fish Market - Egleston Square - Roxbury, MA

Giuffre Frank A and Sons North End
Fish Market
Salem St.
Giuffre Frank A & Sons Fishmarket - North End - Boston, MA

Pine RIver Fish Market
Revere
Pine River Fish Market - Revere, MA

Maria Fish Market
Inman Square Cambridge
Maria Fish Market - Inman Square - Cambridge, MA

Son's Fish Market and Restaurant - Dorchester
Son's Fish Market & Restaurant - Mattapan - Dorchester Center, MA

Boston Fish Market
DOT Ave. Dorchester Ave. Dorchester
Boston Fish Market - Dorchester - Dorchester, MA

Plaza Fish Market - Morrissey BLvd
Dorchester
Plaza Fish Market II - Dorchester - Dorchester, MA

Atlantic Fish Market
Brighton
Atlantic Fish Market - Brighton, MA

Morse Fish Co.
Roxbury
Morse Fish Co - South End - Roxbury, MA

Mercato Del Mare -
North End Fish Market
The North End Fish Market - (857) 362-7477
Boston

Haymarket Fish
Haymarket - Boston, MA

JAmes Hook Lobster Co.
James Hook & Company

Atlantic Seafood Boylston St. Boston
Atlantic Fish

Boston and Maine fish company
Quick Lobster from Boston & Maine Fish Company.

Rozzy - Roslindale Village Fish market
Roslindale Village

Adams Fish Market
793 Adams St.
Boston
Adams Fish Market, Boston, MA, 02124 - ActiveDiner

Pisces Fish Market
Roslindale
Pisces Fish Market in Roslindale, MA - Best of the Web Local

C+C Lobster Co. Peabody MA
C & C Lobster Co - Peabody, MA
Welcome to C&C Lobster Co.

Turner's Seafood Grille and Market
Melrose
Main St
Turner's Seafood Grill & Mkt - Melrose, MA

Old 08-11-2009, 06:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,982,839 times
Wow, thanks folks! After reading thru some of the suggestions, I do remeber going to Hook & Sons as a kid. I DO realize that catching 'em is the freshest. I live in Wells, ME but I don't have the time or resources for deep water fish. And I have to keep in mind the time that fish stay in a boat's hold. Most of our area fleets off load to Boston's port exchange. From there it is further distribution, including our ME reas fish markets. If I had some inside info as to which retailers score first directly from Portland's exchange(which is strictly wholesale) or even Boston's that would be choice. I'll ask around. Thanks everyone.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,498,574 times
Check Chowhound. Really. Someone will know which stores buy directly from the fleet. I will almost stake my life on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston