Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:40 PM

5 posts, read 22,298 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Boston shortly, got a job there and was looking at some apartments. I figured living in Cambridge would make for the easiest transportation wise but prices are obviously higher there. For my budget ($1100/month for studio/1 BR) I found much nicer apartments in Malden. Would the commute be too much of a hassle? What is Malden like? Is it safe for say a mid 20s single female? Would you recommend it vs. living right in Boston but in a lesser nice place for the same price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:11 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
I used to work in downtown Malden. If you're within walking distance to either of the T stations, and I'd recommend it. You'd be looking at a 10-15 minute commute to downtown Boston, which would be about the same if you were taking the Redline in from Cambridge. The trade off would be entertainment/nightlife. There isn't much in Malden. Safety wise I think you'd be fine.

And at the risk of sounding like a Southie homer on this board, I know you could find a 1 br for $1,100 or under in Southie. It's closer to downtown, and has more in the way of entertainment. It's not Cambridge, but better than Malden IMO.

Old 08-10-2009, 02:27 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
I'd sacrifice size and quality and live closer to Boston/Cambridge. I'm generalizing here, but most people I've known in your position - single, 20s, new to Boston - are excited about taking advantage of the city experience. Malden isn't that far out and it's pretty safe, but it may feel too quiet and residential for you. But, it all depends on what you're looking for.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:20 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
...also if you decide on Cambridge, you can ditch the car. Malden would be difficult carless. That would probably make up for the difference in rent.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:23 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,582 times
I always recommend going for the best location over more space for people who are younger and single. That way, your neighborhood itself is your "living space".

In Malden, you'll probably go home, shut your door, and stay put. It's not exactly a bustling place. Just a run-down, blue-collar, townie suburb that's not quite as bad as Everett.

$1100 should get you someplace else--Cambridge, Brookline, JP, Southie, etc.

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 10,653 times
I would check out the Somerville/ Davis Square area. The rent is generally lower and there is definitely a hipper scene than Malden. Somerville is a stones throw from Cambridge and has some very nice neighborhoods.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:42 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,443 times
Cool Arlington or Quincy

I'd suggest looking into Arlington or Quincy

Quincy has the Red Line right into town and Arlington has the Red line as well and easy bus service. to the Red line

either way its pretty good areas both regions

Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
Other parts of Somerville that have bus access to the Red, Orange or Green Lines (like Union Square, Prospect Hill, Winter Hill or Spring Hill) would be even cheaper than the Red Line-adjacent parts.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:13 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,569 times
I used to live in Ball Square in Somerville and loved it. I definitely vote for Somerville (and I grew up in Malden. Eh, it's not terrible but it's not great, either)

Old 08-11-2009, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 22,298 times
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions! I think I've got it narrowed down to a couple of places in Brookline and possibly Cambridge. Malden does sound too quiet for me and not worth the extra space and amenities if there's nothing to do. Anyone ever dealt with Hub Realty?

Also is it really not advisable to bring a car? I've been going back and forth on this. I'm from Dallas so the idea of not having a car and relying solely on public transportation seems completely alien. But the thought of driving in the snow is a little scary too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston