Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,852 times

Advertisements

My daughter is accepted at Winsor so we will be moving from Asia to Boston. A big change for us! We are most worried about the weather. We have never lived in a place that cold before.

I don't want to have to worry about the lawn and the snow in the winter so I am considering living in a condo/loft (preferably a loft) but at the same time want to be no more than 15 minutes from the school. Also, we are city people therefore prefer to live in an urban area.

Any suggestions on where we should live? We are making a trip to Boston in June to look at housing. Hopefully we would have a good idea on the areas we should zero in by then.

Appreciate any suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 10:52 AM

80 posts, read 477,365 times
Brookline (specifically near Coolege Corner or Brookline Village) is very very close to Winsor. Symphony area and Back Bay is also quite close (short ride on the green line subway). Other parts of Boston (Beacon Hill, South End, maybe even North End) are within 15 minutes on the subway.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:34 PM

702 posts, read 3,009,821 times
Welcome, just make sure you have the proper warm clothes and you'll handle the weather just fine. I grew up in Southeast Asia where winter doesn't exist, so if I can handle it, I'm sure you can. Good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:42 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Congratulation. It is a great girls school.

If you look at a map, I suggest Rt9 (Huntington Ave/Ave of the Art) be the lower boundary.

Check murder maps. It will give you an idea where you may not want to live.
[url]www.boston-online.com/crime/[url]

Old 05-05-2007, 05:27 PM

6 posts, read 27,621 times
If you won't get a car, look for places near MBTA green line. I recommend green line C, D, or E. Try to avoid B because it makes too many local stops and often crowded with college students during school semesters.
Brookline is a vibrant community with many shops, restaurants; very diverse with many asian living in the area; close to Boston Chinatown.
Be sure not to live more than 10 minutes of walking distance from the train station, or it'd be very brutal to endure in the winter time.

Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,805,876 times
Also, the D line is under construction this whole summer. It is still running -- just w/lots of bus transfers, but will have many delays.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 14,650 times
Default Jamaica Plain may be an great option

Jamaica Plain, part of the city of Boston, is quite an easy commute to the Winsor School (right down the J'way) There are many great ethnic restaurants and shops in the area and a sense on communtiy. Public transportation makes it an easy commute to Boston. And yes, I am a realtor in the area (just wanted to make that clear) but as a resident of the area, I think it would be worthwhile for you to check it out.
Another option, more expensive is Brookline, lovely community, but taxes are much higher and if you are not planning on using the fine public school may not be the best option.

Old 05-26-2007, 09:46 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoen View Post
Another option, more expensive is Brookline, lovely community, but taxes are much higher and if you are not planning on using the fine public school may not be the best option.
High Taxes? Since the tuition at Winsor is more than many colleges, I do not think tax is a concern if she decides to buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston