Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else. There are only a handful of good simple pizza places here in MA. In fact when I go to any pizza joint, I tend to order a sub or something other than pizza. Regina is good, but I'm not heading across town to wait in line like that.

The upper crust is so overrated. I don't see the draw. I've heard it used to be better but it's a local place that rapidly expanded and according to some, it may be losing what made it "decent" in the past. I don't care for it... not even at a lower price than what it is now.

Providence is where I go "locally" (I have friends/family there and it's not too far) for better pizza. It's still not New Haven or New York, but there's better pizza in PVD than in Boston. Antonio's on the East Side (I lived a block from here for a while) is excellent. I had a steak burrito pizza from them about a week ago. Golden Crust and Via Via (yes, the same as the one in Newport RI) are very good too. Via Via's prices are tough ($6+/ slice) but all you need is A slice.

Brick/Coal/Wood-fired pizzas are common in New England. It's VERY different from NY-Style pizza, but it's very good and there are many places in the Boston area that do it right. Because of the cooking process, it tends to be a bit more expensive, but not too bad. Don't get it at Bertucci's... it's a bad intro and an overpriced intro to the brick-oven pizza. There's a place called Mesa 21 in Fall River that does it perfectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:42 PM

270 posts, read 1,360,866 times
Default Meant to say [B]Rindge and Latin Highschool[/B]

Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
Coming from NJ the answer is No!
Although when we lived in Cambridge there was a small place at a corner near the Boston-Latin High school, across from a park. I think it was run by a gentleman from Mexico and it was the best pizza I ever had in the Boston area.
Sorry I meant to say Rindge and Latin Highschool

Old 10-06-2009, 02:49 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,776,075 times
I am from NYC and I can tell you that Sal's Pizza is my favorite, taste just like NYC pizza. I also like Hi-Fi in Dorchester and Regina's is ok too. Keep in mind, the best NY pizza is not in Manhattan, it's in the outer boroughs of Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island and The Bronx. Long Island has good pizza too.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,427,265 times
So what's the staple Italian food in Boston?

Old 10-06-2009, 06:11 PM

270 posts, read 1,360,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
So what's the staple Italian food in Boston?
Red sauce

Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,450 times
The best food is Boston is the staggering array of asian food, hands down. It's asian food paradise. I love Italian food, but I have learned to cook delicious italian at home to fill my cravings.

The North End has lots of nice Italian restaurants, including one cafeteria style one on the corner that serves wonderful pastas, pizzas, calzones and subs, which is cheap and divine. But parking is a hassle.

I suspect that there are some suburbs that harbor fantastic italian restaurants,closer-in towns that became popular with italians leaving the city in the 60s and 70s. I just don't know what those towns are (I know them in NJ, but not here....).

In Brookline there are a couple of italian delis, one in Coolidge Corner (Bottega something or other) and one in Brookline Village (Bottega Capri), but they def. have a european italian flavor to them, rather than the Italian American vibe I crave, which I think is vanishing from our shores forever, whether you're talking Boston or NYC area.

One of the last times DH was in Jersey he stopped at a venerable old italian-american place for a sub and they guy behind the counter said there aren't many places like his--Italians just don't come to the US anymore--it is a dying breed.

That said, I think that plenty of italian restaurants and delis are run by immigrants from countries other than italy and they can be quite popular--like my childhood neighbor in NJ from Cyprus who made a fortune with his red sauce restaurant, slinging out chicken and veal parm and linguini with white clam sauce night and day.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
You Bostonians don't know how good you have it! I moved to LA about 9 years ago and was unable to find good pizza in the 8 years I was there. (their crust tastes like it's made with SUGAR! And the sauce is completely bland) I'm now in Austin (moving back to Boston this month) and I found ONE good place for pizza.

During the 9 years I was away, I would get a pizza every time I visited home. SO good!

My husband is from Chicago and we have very different ideas on what constitutes good pizza. I hope we find a decent place that has both thin (for me) & thick (for him) crust pizza in the Malden area. Any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2009, 11:41 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
My husband is from Chicago and we have very different ideas on what constitutes good pizza. I hope we find a decent place that has both thin (for me) & thick (for him) crust pizza in the Malden area. Any suggestions?
When I worked in Malden Center I did Chicago Pizza (on Pleasant) almost daily. Contrary to the name, it was in the Greek tradition, not traditional deep dish. I've heard good things about DiPietro's on Highland Ave in Malden, but I've never been. Angela's Coal Fired Pizza in Saugus (route 1 north) is good.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
HAH! I used to LOVE DePietro's! That place is still around?

Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
Damn, I'll need to check it out sometime. I haven't spent too much time in Malden in the past 8 years, but I would assume so since they were so popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston