Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2010, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 4,384 times

Advertisements

Is Boston racist? By the way, I’m mongoloid Asian. I’m pretty attractive for guy and do well with my own race. Sometime people are friendly to me. Other times, at social events, they just act like they don’t want to greet me so I pass them. Of course some are friendly as well.

I don’t suspect so much racist in suburbs like Braintree, Quincy, Hingham and so on. Another thing is that I went to this restaurant in Boston to meet some people and this group of white people went into the restaurant then I felt that they eyed me badly and left. I think it’s a family cuz they range from older to teenager. I can’t help but think they might’ve been racist and perhaps left because of me.

Now there have been instance where I been in Boston and didn’t feel any racism. But then I heard about this infamous rep about Boston as being racist. Is there good truth to this? Is something wrong with Boston in particular as opposed to suburbs? Prefer honest and respectful responses.

Old 06-30-2010, 05:43 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,877 times
This question regarding racism in Boston pops up on CD from time to time. It already came up on City-Data several times & one of them that had a lot of posts on it actually ended up closing on CD a while ago! Yet you can still read all about it if you'd like:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...on-racist.html

Old 06-30-2010, 06:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
No. But we are prejudiced against dumb people who would think that an entire city could be racist.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:27 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
sweet Jesus Christ, not this topic AGAIN! seriously, can we just have a thread stickied that deals w/ this topic? god forbid anyone does a search:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ty-racist.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...o-how-bad.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/bosto...ns-boston.html

blah, don't feel like linking the rest. it's not as if the topic doesn't pop up every month or so for some odd reason. I must have missed the memo going around the country stating that Boston is now hazardous to any non-white who dares to step foot into the city and that the KKK run the city

*fully gives up repeating myself ad nauseam in these topics*

Old 06-30-2010, 11:36 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,545 times
Yes. The whole city is racist.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:40 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,891,686 times
I'm not a big fan of people who use the term mongoloid, but that's a bias against ignorance. Did you, perhaps mean mongrel? Or did you mean Mongolian? Either way, I hope you didn't mean afflicted by Down's Syndrome.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Boston is a city of many different races and cultures. And we are very aware of them. And actually, I think that we embrace our cultural diversity. Places like our Chinatown and the North End with all the Italians are very popular with those that aren't from those backgrounds.

I'd say that if you have had any negative reactions to your presence, consider that it might be due to some of these reasons...

1. You imagined it.
2. Perhaps you were being too friendly and they weren't there to make new friends. They just want to be with the friends they came in with.
3. Maybe you were looking nervous or you were scowling and you didn't realize it. And that can turn people off.
4. Maybe it was what you were wearing and how you were standing. Sometimes, it's not someone's race, but what the other people think they are about. I see a lot of people hanging out with others that have the same dress code and stance. For instance, I can't stand guys that wear a cap backwards, or if they wear really baggy jeans that hang low.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:08 PM

10,017 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Done to death here: Is Boston racist?!?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston