Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 AM

660 posts, read 1,540,784 times

Advertisements

It seems that my attempts at humor were lost on some, most likely those who felt the sting, and stingy my opinion is. My grammar and spelling were not up to par, my apologies

Some things that have been established in this thread are:

* Bostonians have little sense of fashion, and just like most everything else they blame it on the weather

* Bostonians are rude, to the point of being mighty proud of it.

* Bostonians alone are responsible for inflation (just kidding), with all of this "old money" floating around
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:57 PM

12,864 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryansdaddy052606 View Post
It seems that my attempts at humor were lost on some, most likely those who felt the sting
I guess I don't have a sense of humor... I found none of what you said funny and generally, I have no problems with jokes at my expense (in fact I tend to make plenty of them)

Quote:
* Bostonians have little sense of fashion
I'll admit, it's not New York (one of the world fashion capitals, by the way) or L.A. (another fashion leader). But other than those two, what other cities are much more fashionable than Boston? Miami and Las Vegas are the playgrounds of the wealthy so the most visible parts of those cities will obviously play host to some lavish fashions, whereas the majority of those towns can be described as borderline backwater and the "styles" fit the description... if you've ever been out of South Beach or off The Strip you'll know what I mean. The consistently warm temperatures also do well to allow fashions to show (it's hard to look hot on a windy day with temperatures below freezing... that's not a weak excuse, it's common sense).

I spent the past week in San Francisco. If you think girls in Boston dress tacky, head out west, my friend. Chicago, D.C., Philly, Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, Seattle, Portland OR, Minneapolis, Denver, etc... I have a hard time thinking of a city (other than the four mentioned previously) that really stands out as being much more fashionable than Boston. There are going to be some glaring exceptions in every city (Boston has them as you've noticed) but it really isn't bad.

Quote:
and just like most everything else they blame it on the weather
What else do Bostonians blame on the weather? I think fashion is reasonable. Seeing as it's cold enough, rainy enough, windy enough (windiest major city in the U.S., by the way) for much of the year to keep one relatively covered up. When you're forced to cover up, it's hard to have much freedom in terms of dress.

I'll blame one other thing on the weather... Boston's status as one of the best major cities in terms of crime. It's common knowledge that violence and crime tend to increase with the heat. People become more irritable. While Bostonians are more likely to be "rude" than other cities, they're less likely to hurt or kill you.

Quote:
* Bostonians are rude, to the point of being mighty proud of it.
Bostonians can be pushy, forward or rude. No one will deny that. However, I've yet to meet anyone who's "mighty proud" of that. Care to cite some examples? I would imagine someone bragging about how "rude" the people in their city are would be quite a sight. Unfortunately, I have yet to witness any such thing.

I can just see some kid sharing a story with his friend, his face tied up in a beaming smile: "So I was walking down the street, apparently too slow for the guy behind me and you'll never guess what happened... he said, 'HEY! Jacka**! Get out of the way!'... man, I just love the rudeness here!"

Quote:
* Bostonians alone are responsible for inflation (just kidding), with all of this "old money" floating around
This is probably true (kidding). Though I will hold some of the old money responsible for a good deal of the snootiness.

What do you really hate about Boston? I'm just curious because I sincerely doubt that the fact that some girls in town wear dumb rainboots (when it's not even rainy!) is the culprit.

Last edited by lrfox; 11-14-2009 at 10:44 PM..

Old 11-14-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpacker View Post
The old money vs. new money debate is interesting. I've always found old money jealous due to the fact that in a lot of cases, the new money crowd usually has more money than them.
Agreed 100% I also find that the "name" hasn't been established so the recently wealthy don't fit right in with the established elite social circles.

Quote:
I kind of like Boston's approach. Its has all the luxuries that a wealthy would want, yet it is presented in a understated way. Shopping for a designer dress or suit on the beauty of Newbury Street, dinner at L'Espalier (though it might have lost some of its charm due since moving), a walk in the garden, coming home to your Back Bay townhouse or a historic estate in Newton or Weston, access to world-class culture and medicine, and an airport with frequent service non-stop (or 1-stop) to the rest of the world.
Love this too. L'Espalier has lost some of the charm of it's old brownstone digs, but the new location in the Mandarin is no generic slouch. It still has separate distinct rooms (like the old location) and service that you are likely not to find anywhere else. Unfortunately, I can only afford to go on someone else's dime.

I'll take shopping on Newbury (again if I can afford it) even on a frigid winter day over some generic suburban mall. It's a gem. If you're wealthy enough, the Boston area can provide so much in some really unique ways. Even us poor folk can enjoy it on occasion. I don't mind window shopping from time to time and a good meal on someone else's tab tastes even better than on your own dime.

Logan not only has great access to Europe, but it's closer to downtown than just about any major city I can think of in the U.S.... not that it matters to the rich, but that makes it all the more appealing for those of us who *gasp* use public transit.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:35 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,805,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed 100% I also find that the "name" hasn't been established so the recently wealthy don't fit right in with the established elite social circles.

Love this too. L'Espalier has lost some of the charm of it's old brownstone digs, but the new location in the Mandarin is no generic slouch. It still has separate distinct rooms (like the old location) and service that you are likely not to find anywhere else. Unfortunately, I can only afford to go on someone else's dime.

I'll take shopping on Newbury (again if I can afford it) even on a frigid winter day over some generic suburban mall. It's a gem. If you're wealthy enough, the Boston area can provide so much in some really unique ways. Even us poor folk can enjoy it on occasion. I don't mind window shopping from time to time and a good meal on someone else's tab tastes even better than on your own dime.

Logan not only has great access to Europe, but it's closer to downtown than just about any major city I can think of in the U.S.... not that it matters to the rich, but that makes it all the more appealing for those of us who *gasp* use public transit.
The new money can create a name for themselves quickly if they wanted. Plus, they don't seem to be quite as "snotty" as the old-money guys.

I can't afford Newbury or Bolyston (which houses a lot of high-end shops) either, but it's cool to stroll. Sure beats the mall in Natick decision in trying to become a high-end place. One thing I've read is that a lot of high-end designer brands are looking at Boston to open a new store, but they're having a tough time finding enough space (Newbury boutiques can be small).

I actually like the new interior digs of the L'Espalier (wish the view was a little better). A lot like the old one better. However, it gives the staff a lot more space to execute its menu better.

I agree with you on Logan. I can't think of other airports that has such an incredible view when you land or take-off (really pretty at night).

Old 11-16-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:

I can't afford Newbury or Bolyston (which houses a lot of high-end shops) either, but it's cool to stroll. Sure beats the mall in Natick decision in trying to become a high-end place. One thing I've read is that a lot of high-end designer brands are looking at Boston to open a new store, but they're having a tough time finding enough space (Newbury boutiques can be small).

I actually like the new interior digs of the L'Espalier (wish the view was a little better). A lot like the old one better. However, it gives the staff a lot more space to execute its menu better.

I agree with you on Logan. I can't think of other airports that has such an incredible view when you land or take-off (really pretty at night).
I haven't made it out to the Natick Collection yet and I don't really intend to. There's nothing for me there. I've read about higher end brands looking at Boston too. Unfortunately it seems like many of them are looking at space in Newer buildings (i.e. Gucci moving from Copley to the Mandarin). In fact, I read that a few higher end stores are considering a move from Newbury to some of the newer development over on the South Boston Waterfront (specifically Fan Pier). I don't know if I understand that as there's no foot traffic over there yet (as you said, it's nice just to stroll Newbury... same can't be said for most of the parking lot laden SBW yet).

I don't dislike L'Espalier's new location. In fact, I think they did a great job with it (I love walking in and having the hostess put you on the elevator to the actual dining floor). It does give them more room to work with which is certainly a good thing. I also agree with you on the view... last time I was overlooking Lord & Taylor... woohoo. I still love L'Espalier; it's truly one of the premier restaurants in the country.

Logan's views are great but the accessibility to the downtown area makes it a great business airport. It's always strange flying into places like Cincinnati or Denver where the airport is such a ways from the city center. I know many people hate it and I won't claim it's without flaw, but the location is certainly advantageous from both a function and aesthetic standpoint.

Old 11-16-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I haven't made it out to the Natick Collection yet and I don't really intend to. There's nothing for me there. I've read about higher end brands looking at Boston too. Unfortunately it seems like many of them are looking at space in Newer buildings (i.e. Gucci moving from Copley to the Mandarin). In fact, I read that a few higher end stores are considering a move from Newbury to some of the newer development over on the South Boston Waterfront (specifically Fan Pier). I don't know if I understand that as there's no foot traffic over there yet (as you said, it's nice just to stroll Newbury... same can't be said for most of the parking lot laden SBW yet).

I don't dislike L'Espalier's new location. In fact, I think they did a great job with it (I love walking in and having the hostess put you on the elevator to the actual dining floor). It does give them more room to work with which is certainly a good thing. I also agree with you on the view... last time I was overlooking Lord & Taylor... woohoo. I still love L'Espalier; it's truly one of the premier restaurants in the country.

Logan's views are great but the accessibility to the downtown area makes it a great business airport. It's always strange flying into places like Cincinnati or Denver where the airport is such a ways from the city center. I know many people hate it and I won't claim it's without flaw, but the location is certainly advantageous from both a function and aesthetic standpoint.
Haven't heard about the South Waterfront being sought. Are they building retail outlets?

Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Haven't heard about the South Waterfront being sought. Are they building retail outlets?
Not outlets, but some of the retailers are moving from Newbury to some of the new projects being built down there. Large scale projects like Fan Pier (one building just finished construction) and the Seaport Square (yet to begin construction), and Waterside Place (preconstruction) promise to turn the sea of parking lots into a vibrant neighborhood on the waterfront near downtown Boston. Some companies have already committed to move to the retail space down there. LouisBoston has already agreed to move (http://www.allbusiness.com/retail/retailers/13226785-1.html - broken link) from Newbury to the building that's finished at Fan Pier. Others have committed to follow. I don't see it as being a good idea simply because that area of the waterfront is still a sea of parking lots and there isn't too much foot traffic down there aside from business hours/ conventions.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Not outlets, but some of the retailers are moving from Newbury to some of the new projects being built down there. Large scale projects like Fan Pier (one building just finished construction) and the Seaport Square (yet to begin construction), and Waterside Place (preconstruction) promise to turn the sea of parking lots into a vibrant neighborhood on the waterfront near downtown Boston. Some companies have already committed to move to the retail space down there. LouisBoston has already agreed to move (http://www.allbusiness.com/retail/retailers/13226785-1.html - broken link) from Newbury to the building that's finished at Fan Pier. Others have committed to follow. I don't see it as being a good idea simply because that area of the waterfront is still a sea of parking lots and there isn't too much foot traffic down there aside from business hours/ conventions.

Be interesting to see what retailers open shop.

I love the interior design. I know people call it generic, but it's got a glamour, comfortable, sexiness to it (with that "Boston feeling"). I think L'Esaplier would be a 2-Michelin star restaurant in France.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:35 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
Quote:
I would say Atlanta probably has the most direct access from Hartsfield to downtown Atlanta. The MARTA station is in the airport itself! With Boston, you have to take a "bus" (Silver Line) to South Station and then be able to access downtown locations.

But having access from the airport to Midtown/Downtown Atlanta is pretty much the best thing about MARTA. Other than that, public tranist in Atlanta is a far cry from the T in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston