Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:07 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,143 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a recent college grad from Boston.
I'm orignally from Trumbull and simply can not stand the anti-New York Yankee nonsense (no offense) that downtown Boston has.

Nonetheless I want to be near the Boston area, but either west or south of it because
1) I have resources and friends in Boston
2) I have family and friends in Trumbull, CT
3) I want to be somewhat closer to my family in the Northern VA area

This has me deciding were to search for a job, MA/CT/VA quite hard.
If I did decide to move back north, I'm 23, I'd like to be able to find accounting/bookeeping work at a university or government which likely means Boston or 128 to 495.

I don't mind being near Boston, I like the northeast.
However I really want to be in area were there are more people like me.
I can't stand the constant Yankee bashing and even muting the TV and radio, censoring newspapers doesn't help when it's 200-3.
When I can't speak out or my opinion, as is the case, part of me dies lol.

In addition I do not want to live in a city, I want to live near a city so that I can get in when needed but I want my open space and bigger apartment.

1) Is employment at the university level, government if no university likely in metro Boston or as I would prefer outside 128 or 495?
I wanted to know is this possible anywhere in metro Boston or the 128, 495 vicinities?
-Would a recent college grad from out state be lonely not in the city even though I desire more suburban location
-What about New York, are these places more pro New York or less biased as downtown Boston, the heartland, is?
2) I also wanted to know what is this area like, is it all Boston sports, or since to the S in RI and the N in NH you get the Yankee affiliates do you get a mix of NY and BOS but more BOS since it's nearer.
-I don't mind that, I think, just as long as it's not ALL BOS like it is there.
-To shop or go to the gym, am I going to have to deal with comments or are these Yankee towns or havens there?
3) Does the Providence station which carries Yankee games come in?
4) What about YES, MSG, do you get Yankee, Rangers, and Giants games?
5) One last question, how far away is the beach?
I would love to be near a nice warm beach I can go to without hassle on the weekend, not a dump.
Newport RI, NH, ME, or the Cape sound nice.
-Is that possible or a taxing drive?

Overall is this viable or a stretch given my current state.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 02:40 PM

44 posts, read 196,587 times
Default Advice For Ny Fan

Its Pretty Simple Actually, Dont Look In Ma Or New England Area Go To Ny!

Old 05-09-2007, 05:16 AM

735 posts, read 3,500,801 times
Hi Tberg,

You have a few options. I first think your best move would be to CT. Being in MA, you are essentially in the belly of the beast- behind enemy lines

I love baseball and growing up was naturally a Yankee fan since I am from NY. I went to Mets games too and had no issues enjoying America's pastime. But up here The Sox fans take it to a whole other level. All the hatred really is foul.

I was in NYC two weeks ago for the Sox/Yankees match-up in the Bronx. Plenty of Sox fans flooded into Yankee Stadium. Sure- there was some back and forth banter, but nothing like at Fenway.

As far as watching NY sports, I have the MLB.com package- you can watch almost every game on your computer.

There is a mix up here. NY is bordering MA, so naturally, some of us have infiltrated. ha

And there are PLENTY of universities and colleges outside of the city where you can find work.

But in general, MA is an expensive place for a recent grad. You might consider parts of PA- around Lancaster. Tons of NY fans in that area and a much lower cost of living.

Good luck with everything~

Old 05-09-2007, 06:49 PM

17 posts, read 61,237 times
If you dont want yankee bashing i dont think you should go to mass. I mean you could walk on beacon hill with your yankees hat on all day but southie is a different story.

Old 05-10-2007, 02:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Yankee fan in Boston... that would be me (grew up 30 min outside Manhattan). Don't wanna scare you or anything, but there was a headline I read a couple weeks ago about a guy wearing a Yankee cap being stabbed outside a Brookline bar just because someone didn't like his cap. Being a Yankee fan in Boston is the worst. An espn writer (a sox fan) went to both cities during the 2004 postseason disguised as the other team's fan and he said he was scared for his life while in Boston. They're much more passionate here about their teams than anywhere else in the nation. If you're on the quiet side like me, you'll be fine. But if you're the loud type who speaks his mind even to strangers, you'll be in trouble. Even at work, you'll be the butt of all the jokes. Also, it doesn't matter where you stay -- downtown Boston, inside 128, or out by 495. They are just as anti-NY everywhere around here. If anything, you might be safer inside 128 since there will be more NY transplants closer to the city. You'll be fine if you just leave your jerseys and caps in Fairfield Co. =)

As far as watching the games, your most cost-effective option would be signing up for mlb.tv and watching the games on your computer, or hooking your TV up to your computer. It's pretty cheap, especially if you split the cost w/a friend and share the account. If you just have regular cable, all the Yanks-Sox games will be on NESN (17-18 games) and another 2 games per month on ESPN (about 12), so you'll get to watch 30 regular season games.

Old 05-10-2007, 04:01 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
New York is a surprisingly sympathetic place for Red Sox fans, the rabid Yankee lovers notwithstanding. I've always thought Boston must not be so easy--I was living there during the infamous Bucky Dent playoff game in '78 and everyone who wasn't at the ballpark was glued to the radio that afternoon. There just isn't any breathing room for a Yankees fan. I agree with Parsec-- there aren't any reliably pro-Yankee pockets in eastern Mass. Anyone know if the pro-RS Riviera bar in Greenwich Village has its Boston counterpart? The OP has been on the R.I. and CT forums trying to figure out whether RI is sympathetic and where the RS-NYY divide runs through Connecticut. Likes the Boston area but can't stand RS fever. RI probably will do; if you stay in or near Boston, just remember all those world championships and--better yet--don't let all this baseball stuff drive you crazy. It's all in your head; whether the Yankees win or lose really has nothing to do with you and your life. And the Rhode Island beaches are great--warm water like Conn., but surf too.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:11 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,807,234 times
Wow, never knew about the pro-RS Riviera bar. If it had a counterpart here in Boston, I'm sure it would get vandalized by all the Yawkey Way drunks :-p

Old 05-12-2007, 01:10 PM

175 posts, read 733,595 times
Hey dude, the yankee ribbing you'll receive in the burbs of Boston will not be that bad. I'd recommend looking in Allston, Brighton, and if you can afford it Brookline or Newton. You'll be close to universities and live mainly around college and grad studetns from all over the country, so you yankee bashing will not be a sever. I'm also from the south NOVA not to be confused with Virgina haha, but i've found i like the northeast a lot better. Yea, i'd also second the thought of just packing up and moving closer to NYC or maybe even going down as far as Philly. You do not necessarily have to live in that crime ridden city, but you could set up shop in suburbs of Delware or Southern NJ and you're still outside of the city and can easily communte into the city. Just a thought. I'm also a closted yankees fan, but i've become (or been forced) into being a Redsox fan as well. I think after you've been living here awhile you learn to really appreciate the fan loyalty to the Sox and it draws you in. My mom still gives me a hard time and calls me a trader for switching alligencies, but I still get a warm filling in my tummy whenever I think the Yankees are going to win the World Series .....

Old 01-07-2008, 04:22 PM

107 posts, read 148,001 times
Please don't subject yourself to such misery. Stay in CT and keep rooting for the right teams all the way!!! Metro New York (incl. Fairfield Co.) has nicer suburbs than metro Boston anyway.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:25 PM

107 posts, read 148,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmfikucki View Post
Its Pretty Simple Actually, Dont Look In Ma Or New England Area Go To Ny!
Oh, so I guess CT and even some of RI must not count as New England? Last time I checked, most people in CT like NY sports teams. This is why people hate MA so much (hence the term M*sshole); the majority of you hate everyone that doesn't conform to your ideals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston