Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,912 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband got a job offer in Boston for $65k, and we need to decide whether to make the move or not. We currently live in CA in the bay area, and are really wondering if the move is financially feasible. So my question is: How well can two live in or around Boston with that amount? I have a job and will need to quit if we move, and I'm not quite sure how long it could take me to find one over there. We rent, live modestly, like the outdoors and have 2 small cars.
Any advice would be of great help to make a decision. We don't know Boston at all and really need to know what to expect for cost of living.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,171,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessV View Post
Hi!
My husband got a job offer in Boston for $65k, and we need to decide whether to make the move or not. We currently live in CA in the bay area, and are really wondering if the move is financially feasible. So my question is: How well can two live in or around Boston with that amount? I have a job and will need to quit if we move, and I'm not quite sure how long it could take me to find one over there. We rent, live modestly, like the outdoors and have 2 small cars.
Any advice would be of great help to make a decision. We don't know Boston at all and really need to know what to expect for cost of living.

Thanks for your help!
Depending on where you are in the Bay Area -- and where you rent in the Boston area -- you may or may not see a change in your standard of living. Given that you're moving from a high cost area, my hunch is that you will be OK. Indeed, parts of CA are some of the few places that are actually more expensive than the Boston metro area. I think your MA income tax will be less than CA's income tax...that should help a little. OTOH, you may pay more here for utilities (i.e. heat) than you will there (though heat is sometimes included in your MA apartment rent, depending upon the building).

Bottom line: I think you could be OK. You won't be living large, of course, but you should be able to live decently.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 PM

18,690 posts, read 33,330,369 times
If you live in-town, Boston or Cambridge, parking for two cars might either be a problem or an expense. Do know that a lot of metro Boston would be considered part of the city in other places, but here they are separate towns, and each town has its own parking thing (some towns do not allow street parking from 2a-6a). A lot of rental housing is wonderful 1920s buildings, but they don't have parking garages (or lots of other newer things).
Best luck on your move. I think you'd do fine on that income. Where will your husband's job be? Then maybe we could suggest places to live. I do think most things will be less than the Bay area. Period.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:30 AM

1,039 posts, read 3,449,769 times
It all depends on your priorities and what you're used to. The "Bay Area" can mean anything from Pac Heights to Vallejo to Oakland and greater Boston can mean anything from the Back Bay to Revere to Jamaica Plain. But if you pick an area in Boston that is comparable to what you have in CA, it generally evens out. Most day-to-day things are cheaper in MA, but you pay much more for utilities.

Mass transit can be a bit more accessible in Boston. Since you own two cars, I'm guessing that you don't live near BART or in the city proper to take advantage of Muni. You'll have a much better shot of ditching one or both of your cars in Boston.

Where the Bay Area can get much more expensive is in leisure activities - restaurants, clubs, fairs, etc. IMHO, Boston has much more of a community vibe to it so there are a bunch of cheap activites for singles, dinks, families, etc. You don't really get this in the Bay Area unless you pay through the nose or drive out towards Calitucky. Boston is a metro of town squares and main streets so you have many options.

Overall, Boston and SF are probably the two most analagous cities - old cities by the bay eclipsed by newer upstarts down the coast, but never outdone in charm. The ironic thing is that so many people left Boston back in the day to establish themselves in the more socially fluid Bay Area. Most of my friends who went to Stanford with me are now fleeing to the Northeast to buy "cheap" houses and provide a better education for their kids.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:01 AM

Thanks all for your advice and hints on parking in Boston and utilities.
I read in different places that parking can be costly and/or difficult during the winter especially. We'll have to keep that in mind when looking for housing, or maybe sell one of the car. To answer one of the question, my husband's job will be downtown Boston, next to the New England Medical Center T station.
We don't really want to live downtown, it would be too expensive and city life is not what I'm looking for. We like a little space. Any suggestions on location for housing that are reasonably price and commuter friendly?
For those who know, we currently live on the peninsula about 20 miles south of SF. My husband works in downtown SF and I work south in Menlo Park, so we live about half way between SF and Menlo. We live in an apartment complex, it's decent and comfortable and has a bunch amenities. I'm not sure if we could find that around Boston. We are willing to change anyways, and personally I'm looking for better community feelings, culture and friendler neighbors. I'm originally from France and not in love with the mentality that we can find here in the bay area.
Thanks again for the insights!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:53 AM

2 posts, read 6,256 times
We moved here from the Bay Area in August specifically for quality of life / cost of living. We were renting in Union City, and I was working in South SF. Housing is *much* cheaper here, especially if you're willing to / want to go to the suburbs. The T and commuter rail have pretty good coverage, if it makes sense for your commute. Gas is MUCH cheaper here, and higher octane. Groceries are also much cheaper here. It also looks like electricity is about half of what PG&E charges per kWh, but there will be heating costs.

For us, we wanted to be able to buy a nice, big house on a good-sized piece of land, in a nice area, with good schools. We'll (hopefully!) soon be closing on a huge house that is admittedly a drive to my work in Cambridge, but is worth it...and after taking into account the tax breaks, my take-home pay will be *higher* than when were renting in CA.

Income tax here is flat as opposed to CA's tiered system, so that may or may not be a benefit to you, but the sales tax is also lower.

Boston's a great city, with an amazing amount of history. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:57 AM

Thanks. It's always nice to hear somebody's recent experience, and you seem to be enjoying it, so it's encouraging!

Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM

289 posts, read 1,268,583 times
We made the opposite move in July (to Alameda in the East Bay) and have found the cost of living to be comparable, at least for renters. Some things cost more, some less, but in the end it seems to even out pretty well. Food is usually a little less in the Bay Area (produce significantly less), but gas is a lot more. Rent is a little more in the Bay Area, but utilities are so much lower that our rent has mostly evened out (beware of winter! Especially if you have electric heat). If you're buying a house or ever plan to, Massachusetts is far more reasonable. Cable/internet are the same. Sales tax is much lower in Massachusetts. Car insurance is much more expensive in Massachusetts. I was warned constantly about how high state income tax was in California, but mine somehow went down. I think the T might be a little cheaper than the BART/MUNI, and it's much more efficient.

You should be able to get by fine on $65k.

Last edited by theh; 10-16-2009 at 02:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:57 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,759,204 times
Look into the Metrowest area...places like Waltham, Woburn, Burlington, Bedford, Lexington, Arlington etc. which are all about 20 or 30 minutes from Boston. There are T stations within a short drive. Your husband can park the car at the T and take the T into Boston for work. You can find moderately priced housing in this areas, and auto insurance isn't too high either. One thing you might notice in regard to cost of living is food prices. I remember when I lived on the central coast of California one of the first things that struck me in terms of prices was dairy products and produce. It was almost double the price in California than it is on the East Coast. Not sure why, but things like milk, eggs, bread, etc will be cheaper in Massachusetts. Gas is also cheaper. What was your electric usage like in California? I take it you didn't need A/C all that much in the bay area. During the summer months your bill may be higher due to the A/C on humid days, and depending upon how your home is heated it may cost more as well during the long winter months. Find out what is included in the rent.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:31 PM

289 posts, read 1,268,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
One thing you might notice in regard to cost of living is food prices. I remember when I lived on the central coast of California one of the first things that struck me in terms of prices was dairy products and produce. It was almost double the price in California than it is on the East Coast. Not sure why, but things like milk, eggs, bread, etc will be cheaper in Massachusetts.
That's weird. I've had the complete opposite experience. I was spending twice as much on dairy/produce in Massachusetts before I moved to the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston