Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:29 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDarnHumid View Post
I disagree with a lot of comments in this thread. There are a lot of very pretty girls in Boston. I'd say more than the national average.

However, the one thing I didn't like when I went to college there, was the entitlement of Boston women. It seemed that every average (to below average) girl thought it was their god-given right to date guys like Brad Pitt and Tom Brady. Most average girls wouldn't give an average guy the time of day. That was my impression living in beantown a few years back.
A friend of mine once said that every girl in Boston thinks she's Ally McBeal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Considering how many people are in relationships, I think the "Boston girls are holding out for Tom Brady-types" bit really translates to "these women didn't want to go out with *me*".

Old 12-15-2009, 02:54 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Considering how many people are in relationships, I think the "Boston girls are holding out for Tom Brady-types" bit really translates to "these women didn't want to go out with *me*".
Or just go to other cities especially in the south where you can meet prettier women who also know how to flirt and will talk to you and spend time getting to know you. They are not as superficial.

I've never had a difficult time meeting women in the south. When you tell them about Boston women or they visit Boston they don't understand why the women are so snobby up here.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:44 PM

6 posts, read 16,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Or just go to other cities especially in the south where you can meet prettier women who also know how to flirt and will talk to you and spend time getting to know you. They are not as superficial.

I've never had a difficult time meeting women in the south. When you tell them about Boston women or they visit Boston they don't understand why the women are so snobby up here.
I agree, it's much easier to meet a good looking girl down here in south Florida than it is in Boston. Girls down here are much more into the person as opposed to money, job, etc. Even though Miami has the reputation of being shallow and superficial, I've found it to be quite the opposite.

People as a whole seem much less neurotic, narcissistic, and stressed out in SoFla too. Just makes for an overall nicer environment.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:39 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
So again, if a woman (I assume you are talking about adults and not children?) doesn't want to flirt and/or get to know *you*, it's on her? She has the problem?

Interesting.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:59 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
So again, if a woman (I assume you are talking about adults and not children?) doesn't want to flirt and/or get to know *you*, it's on her? She has the problem?

Interesting.
Nope, it has nothing to do with that. Just that women in other cities and places are a lot easier to meet and get to know. I've never had any problems in other states or cities. Even staying in MA and going out in Worcester I was a lot better off. So by process of elimination and generally speaking...Boston women are a pain in the butt.

I was never the guy who would go out somewhere and try to meet women or would really care, but I had times in Boston when I asked a girl an innocent question (wasn't hitting on her), and she got all defensive and gave me this look and said, "I have a boyfriend".

My wife is from the south and she agrees with everything I say about Boston women. Even while I was single the few women who were nice and would have a conversation with you were from other states such as NY, NJ, or PA. I was out one time and stayed for a few drinks after the St. Louis Cardinals were in town (right after the Red Sox destroyed them), the Cardinal fans (quite a few young women) hung around and my friends and I had a great time talking to them.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:03 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:

Interesting.
I don't get it either. I have noticed that many girls in Boston seem to have their guard up more than some other cities I've been to, but if you're not socially inept (or heinously ugly), it's not too difficult to start a conversation like a normal human being.

As with other aspects of forming relationships with people in Boston, it takes effort and time.

I've been to plenty of cities in the South where bimbos will giggle and smile at everything you say, but I don't find it becoming at all. I generally prefer a challenge and some actual conversation with substance. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:48 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,339,334 times
I think a major part of the perceived shyness of Boston girls also has alot to do with the different lifestyles. Here in the South, we clearly have a car driven culture. On top of that, for the most, we live in very scarcely populated areas compared to the Northeast. So basically we drive around in our individual cars and go home to our single family homes on big yardage shielding us from our neighbors. I think this lifestyles gives a greater sense of security to most people, women especially, knowing that they can escape most situations by driving off.

In a city like Boston where many people use pubic transporation and the population density is highly concentrated, many women, in their heads may just be in fear of someone following them home on the train, or walking behind them, or lurking in alleys etc. They would just be more guarded naturally for personal safety reasons.

I found it much harder to meet new people in Boston, but once you do they seem to open up pretty well. Of course I only pursued the women I knew were also interested so maybe that's why they were more open. I'm sure if they weren't interested I would have gotten some of the colder responses mentioned in some other post.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:29 AM

403 posts, read 1,394,474 times
I've lived all over, (Boston, ATL, LA, PHX, SF, NYC) and I must say that when I was in Boston I thought the women were attractive. Granted I lived on Newbury st, which sees a parade of the areas finest all day. We used to sit out on the stoop and watch on nice weekend days. there are over 60 colleges in Boston and if you are in Boston proper, you'll see a lot of young, attractive girls. I will agree that the look is conservative, and the girls arent really down to party. there is an iceyness to them that is so old. I live in New York now, and it just seems like more women are down for whatever here. And it wasnt me, I assure you. ;-)

Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooDarnHumid View Post
I agree, it's much easier to meet a good looking girl down here in south Florida than it is in Boston. Girls down here are much more into the person as opposed to money, job, etc. Even though Miami has the reputation of being shallow and superficial, I've found it to be quite the opposite.

People as a whole seem much less neurotic, narcissistic, and stressed out in SoFla too. Just makes for an overall nicer environment.
What do you expect? In Florida, a dirt track date is perfectly acceptable. Higher standards are the norm for any northern cities. Especially the ones with the world's best universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston