U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 12:29 AM

2,051 posts, read 3,465,356 times

Advertisements

It's that time of year...these windchills cry out for comforting hot chocolate (or cocoa, but not sure of the exact difference).

I crave Flour Bakery & Cafe, both locations. One is hidden behind the Children's Museum in a nifty loft-style space. Its original location is in the South End on Washington St. They use not powder, but a store-made ganache. It's not too sweet, unlike that mix Dunkin' Donuts uses. That stuff must be artificial and nasty, no? But it is so good, with that bubbly froth on top, available 24/7. It's too sweet now that I've discovered real hot chocolate at Flour.

I've tried Finale Desserterie's version; it's over $5 a cup, and I'm not sure if I enjoyed it enough to order again. But I'll try again on a special occasion.

I've tried Starbucks' hot chocolate, Panera Bread, JP Licks ice cream cafe, and Au Bon Pain...all good. I hear that Toscanini's ice cream in Cambridge has good coffee, so I hope they offer a quality hot chocolate.

Somebody today mentioned she likes Cosi's sandwich chain for hot chocolate.

I plan to try L.A. Burdick's fancy chocolate cafe in Harvard Sq. Its other location is in Vermont. Their hot chocolate is reportedly thick (soupy?). Sounds good.

I bought a cannister of Godiva milk hot chocolate for a stocking stuffer ($11!), but not sure of its character.

Any other suggestions, other than homemade? Any good NYC hot chocolates?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 AM

293 posts, read 962,830 times
I have a couple canisters of the Godiva, it's very good. I only dislike making it because I have to heat the milk on the stove. For a store bought one I also like the Land O Lakes hot choc. I'll have to try that Flour Bakery next time I take my kids to the museum

Old 12-30-2009, 08:23 PM

639 posts, read 3,189,413 times
I'll have to try that Land O' Lakes Hot Chocolate, that sounds really good.

After dinner the other night @ LaSumma on Fleet Street in the North End we walked around the corner to the "Cafe Vittoria" @ 296 Hanover St. In the winter months their hot chocolate on a freezing cold chilly night & their peppermint stick gelato, is the be all & end all after a wonderful dinner, actually any where you go for dinner in the North End sounds like a plan doesn't it!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 PM

894 posts, read 1,243,624 times
Burdicks is very strong. Be sure you specify milkchocolate. Even if you love chocolate start with the lighter milk version. It is very good but very chocolatey.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:23 AM

219 posts, read 770,807 times
I went to Bella Vita in Beacon Hill a couple nights a ago. It has a nice relaxed, cozy cafe vibe. I had coffee, which was good, but my friend had hot chocolate which she said was delicious...so you may want to check it out, its on Charles st.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:52 AM

42 posts, read 68,079 times
Mike's Pastries in the North End has the BEST hot chocolate that I've ever had . . . I love walking around the North End in the winter and stopping in there to warm up

Give it a go - it's only about $2 a cup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or