Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 10:21 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times

Advertisements

Maybe the OP should watch Ch. 5's Chronicle, M-F @ 7:30 pm. Lots of it is fluff, about new restaurants and emerging neighborhoods, but I like it. Other times, they'll travel to outer reaches of New England and obscure regional islands and outposts. They've even profiled Vancouver and Portland (Oregon) in one episode last year, to show how Boston can benefit from their technologies and city customs.

Chronicle is a local and regional jewel, a show every other region no longer produces due to budget cuts. Plus, most cities/regions don't have enough to offer for a decades-old show.And no, I'm not partial, as I was not born or raised here, so maybe I shouldn't call myself "BostonGuy." Hmm... I'd be surprised if the Bay Area has such a show anymore; it's probably been replaced with a celebrity tabloid show.

Chronicle is a unique show for a unique region.

Chronicle published a nice book over 10 yrs. ago called "Main Streets and Back Roads of New England." A great title, and a regular topic of some of their shows. I need to check it out at my library!

Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Maybe the OP should watch Ch. 5's Chronicle, M-F @ 7:30 pm. Lots of it is fluff, about new restaurants and emerging neighborhoods, but I like it. Other times, they'll travel to outer reaches of New England and obscure regional islands and outposts. They've even profiled Vancouver and Portland (Oregon) in one episode last year, to show how Boston can benefit from their technologies and city customs.

Chronicle is a local and regional jewel, a show every other region no longer produces due to budget cuts. Plus, most cities/regions don't have enough to offer for a decades-old show.And no, I'm not partial, as I was not born or raised here, so maybe I shouldn't call myself "BostonGuy." Hmm... I'd be surprised if the Bay Area has such a show anymore; it's probably been replaced with a celebrity tabloid show.

Chronicle is a unique show for a unique region.

Chronicle published a nice book over 10 yrs. ago called "Main Streets and Back Roads of New England." A great title, and a regular topic of some of their shows. I need to check it out at my library!
Chronicle is a great show. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:34 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDipNStein View Post
I feel bored to death in Boston. Everything seems to close early and about half the year it's too cold to go anywhere anyway. I have family living here and they love it. I've tried hard to make the best of it but I can't. This place just isn't for me. I guess my #1 complaint is the weather with monoculture being #2. It seems everyone and multiple generations of their families are from here and stay here which makes their lives a little uninteresting. It's surprising since there are world class Universities all over the place. But I guess I'm too old to enjoy bantering with University students these days so that doesn't help.

I'm not even sure what the point of this thread is. Like I said I respect some people like it here but to me California seems to be way better. I particularly can't understand why someone would retire here. By the way I am married and have a few friends here but that's not enough to make me dig bean town.
You want boring, come to Vermont. I can't wait to get out of here now. Things close at 5 pm and there aren't many 'things' to close.

I am originally from NY and used to 24/7 life. I have had enough of rural living.

I watch Phantom Gourmet all the time and 'dream of' decent food again.

OP, I respect your candor. Anywhere that 'works out for you' is a good place. Anywhere that doesn't, well, it's easy to feel it's just wrong. Been there myself. Good luck in finding what you want.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:48 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyMA View Post
I hate the cold and the winters also. The lack of light can really get to you. I have lived in warmer climates, but moved back here for the schools, culture, and proximity to great beaches and mountains. I live in Cambridge, and if you can find me a city in a warm climate with great bars and restaurants, independent movie theaters and bookstores, culture, leafy streets, and lovely architecture, I'd gladly move.

It sounds like you haven't really discovered New England, nor have a good grasp of local architecture and history. Have you taken any adult ed courses? It may give you a better appreciation of the city. If you prefer the strip malls, cookie cutter houses and lack of public transportation that characterizes the South and the West, go for it.
If you have the $$$ downtown historic Charleston, SC fits your description of an acceptable city in a warm climate. Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC | Charleston Tourism, Media, Tours, Meetings, Wedding, and Travel Council Info

Check out that link and see how pretty! Besides the beauty, it is a great destination for Foodies, Art and Music lovers. Unlike Boston where you have to drive an hour or more to get to the beach( in Rhode Island or Cape Cod), you are only 5-10 minutes from nice beaches. Except for this winter were we've had many evenings where the temperature has dipped below 32 degrees, usually that happens only a few days the entire winter. Daytime temps in December are usually in the high 50's, 60's and 70's. Not so much this winter so far though its been unusually cold only in the 40's and 50's. In Feb. it starts to warm up and in March we are already having days that might even be too hot for some. The problem is there are lots of cookie cutter neighborhoods as well in greater Charleston -- which are the only somewhat "affordable" places to live.

There are lots of trees here! Just about everyone has a gorgeous backyard (even in the modest neighborhoods). In fact there are laws that prevent homeowners from cutting down trees larger than a certain size in their own yard.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:51 AM

95 posts, read 207,568 times
Default For my money, Boston is the worst city in the country all told

The weather is ungodly atrocious. The rent is incredible. The natural beauty is minimal. Traffic is awful, parking is worse. Public transportation is lagging in comparison to similarly situated cities. The psuedo-intellectual vibe is legendary. Such qualities are often outweighed by an empathetic and generally friendly social liberalism in similarly afflicted cities. Yet Boston has the unique and fascinating combination of the worst type of snobby psuedo-intellectualism with a very real mean-spirited nature permeating throughout the culture.

Taking money out of the equation, there are certain parts of the country that I find less desirable, particularly in the Midwest. The reason Boston is fascinating to me, though, is that it has all the qualities of an awfully unattractive city yet demands the price akin to lovely locals around the country.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:04 AM

82 posts, read 287,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
If you have the $$$ downtown historic Charleston, SC fits your description of an acceptable city in a warm climate. Charleston Area Convention & Visitors Bureau - Charleston, SC | Charleston Tourism, Media, Tours, Meetings, Wedding, and Travel Council Info

Check out that link and see how pretty! Besides the beauty, it is a great destination for Foodies, Art and Music lovers. Unlike Boston where you have to drive an hour or more to get to the beach( in Rhode Island or Cape Cod), you are only 5-10 minutes from nice beaches. Except for this winter were we've had many evenings where the temperature has dipped below 32 degrees, usually that happens only a few days the entire winter. Daytime temps in December are usually in the high 50's, 60's and 70's. Not so much this winter so far though its been unusually cold only in the 40's and 50's. In Feb. it starts to warm up and in March we are already having days that might even be too hot for some. The problem is there are lots of cookie cutter neighborhoods as well in greater Charleston -- which are the only somewhat "affordable" places to live.

There are lots of trees here! Just about everyone has a gorgeous backyard (even in the modest neighborhoods). In fact there are laws that prevent homeowners from cutting down trees larger than a certain size in their own yard.
Charleston is the kind of place that I would love to retire to. I have been there and really like it. BTW there are plenty of beautiful beaches that are less than an hour from Boston (Gloucester, Ipswich, Manchester, Duxbury, Marshfield, etc). You don't have to drive down the Cape or to RI or the South Coast of MA for the beach.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Except for warm weather, Boston has all Charleston has *10. The guy is from SF and is bored in BOS. Somehow I doubt SC will fit the bill for him.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,742,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehhh View Post
The weather is ungodly atrocious. The rent is incredible. The natural beauty is minimal. Traffic is awful, parking is worse. Public transportation is lagging in comparison to similarly situated cities. The psuedo-intellectual vibe is legendary. Such qualities are often outweighed by an empathetic and generally friendly social liberalism in similarly afflicted cities. Yet Boston has the unique and fascinating combination of the worst type of snobby psuedo-intellectualism with a very real mean-spirited nature permeating throughout the culture.

Taking money out of the equation, there are certain parts of the country that I find less desirable, particularly in the Midwest. The reason Boston is fascinating to me, though, is that it has all the qualities of an awfully unattractive city yet demands the price akin to lovely locals around the country.
Feel free to tell us all how you really feel. May I ask if you area Bostonian or if you have been a visitor and if so how long was your visit.
I see by reading your posts as you are a new poster here that most of the posts have been truly negative that you have written.
I certainly don't think that MA is perfect as anywhere else but so many people bash MA but nobody gives a specific reason for their personal negative experience. Heck of a wide paintbrush.
People come and say the people are not friendly....A lot of people that are here "in" Boston could also be tourists. People are people everywhere..every shape, color, and personality whether friendly or rude.

Last edited by crazyworld; 01-08-2010 at 09:46 AM..

Old 01-08-2010, 09:32 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Which "similarly-situated" cities are you comparing Boston's public transportation to?

Old 01-08-2010, 10:13 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mehhh View Post

I think the fact that Boston is as pricey as it is despite the fact that much of what you say above is true speaks volumes for the things about it that truly does make it a great city despite all its obvious deficiencies. The markets bears what it is worth.

So what's worthy is BOS? Pseudo-intellectualism? Go sit in at MIT for a few classes and see how "pseudo" it is! Or with the researchers at Harvard Medical School. Boston is an intellectual city. That is probably THE main reason it has two of the best schools on the planet and a dozen others deserving honorable mention.

What else sets BOS apart from other average cities? Density, excitement, thick with history, beautiful architecture, great food, great natural amenities like the Charles and the ocean, packed with pretty young people, cultural, stylish, upscale, a great park system, the T - all of this at your doorstep! All the colleges, Fenway, Newbury, the Public Garden, the Common, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Quincy Market, The Fens, The museums, Chinatown, the North End, Charlestown, the waterfront, the Combat Zone, the Theatre District, Cambridge, Davis Sq, Downtown Crossing all right at your doorstep! Not to mention Salem, Marblehead, Hampton Portsmouth, Gloucester, Providence and Cape. And the history?! The Wampanoag, Pilgrims, Puritans, seafarers, witches, colonists, Revolutionaries, Tories, Abolitionists, Brahmins, refugees, mobsters, John Sullivan, the Boston Bean eaters - hell MLK! And hell, if that's not enough, you can hop the bus for a dollar to NYC any hour from South Station. Can't do that in Portland!

Bos has a lot to offer. It's a real city, with all the good and bad that goes with being a real city. It may not be for you but the fact is it's one of America's most desirable cities to live in. As money talks, Boston's high real estate value, high density, high tourism and near zero vacancy indisputably confirms it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston