U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM

49 posts, read 107,948 times
Default College in boston????

Hi, I plan on applying to the New England Conservatory of Music some time next year and if I should get accepted, I was just wondering a few things.
  • is this school is located in a good neighborhood?
  • Is there any affordable housing in this neighborhood?
  • Is this neighborhood and Boston gay friendly?
  • Would it be difficult for me to find a job to support my college expenses?
  • How crucial is a car in Boston? (is this area walkable?)
  • Also, if you do not recommend this neighborhood, what are some neighborhoods near by the school address?
sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I'm just really lacking direction on how to get into this school (I'm in FL), help is appreciated

address is:
290 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115-5018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,730,836 times
the area is fine. I personally would not own a car down there. completely unneeded and it would be tough to find parking anyways. the green line trolley runs up and down Huntington Ave, as does the #39 bus, and you're not too far away from the orange line at Mass Ave either. the school is very close to Northeastern, Symphony Hall, and the Prudential Mall. there's a Whole Foods Market nearby also (and Whole Foods aren't typically located in ghettos!) and there's a Star Market near the Prudential. it's overall pretty walkable and full of commuting options. the area is safe, but not sure about affordable. I know there's a large apartment complex across from Symphony Hall that super expensive. depends on your definition of "affordable", but I wouldn't expect a 1 bedroom to be under $1200 in that area. if you can't afford that area, I would look in the Jamaica Plains area and just use the green line/orange line/#39 bus to get to school

Old 01-22-2010, 09:04 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,634,049 times
The area around that school is not fancy...but it's $$$. A 1br starts at $1100-$1200+ (check Craigslist for listings in Symphony or Fenway). These are not fancy apts., even if across from Whole Foods. Search CL Boston under housing for these keywords: Westland Ave, Symphony Rd., Gainesborough, Hemenway, St. Botolph). Yes, Mission Hill is an option, near MassArt.

IMO, Boston is pretty gay friendly...at least downtown and nearby. I've been here a long time (also coming for college) and have no major complaints about gay life here. Lots of educated folks around your prospective school and environs, so I'd expect at least SOME gay tolerance, if not approval, from young folks nowadays. Bay Windows, a gay weekly, is found at street newsboxes and left in bakeries and convenience stores. Check their online site.

South End had been/still is thought of as the gay ghetto, but it's mostly str8 now, with many gay-friendly businesses. Savin Hill and Jones Hill in Dorchester (and some other of the safe areas of Dorchester) boast of more gay men recently.) Jamaica Plain is lesbian and gay friendly, and would prove VERY convenient for you, sans car! Supposedly, South Boston (not the same as South End) has lots of gays now, but I've not noticed in the 33 months regularly passing thru regularly there...but their mainly yuppies would likely be comfortable with, and know, gays.

Don't bring a car!!!

A monthly T pass is $59 or so, with unlimited rides and bus transfers.

Lots of restaurants, so you may secure a p/t job that way. Check CL for Boston hospitality jobs.

Hope you're accepted into NEC!

Old 02-02-2010, 02:05 PM

49 posts, read 107,948 times
thank you eevee and bostonguy for the very helpful advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston