Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 02:03 PM

6 posts, read 9,444 times

Advertisements

Okay that makes sense. Because I think there is a difference between feeling "safe" and knowing that the probability is not even 50-50 for bad things happening. So I guess if I had to, of course I'd roll the statistical dice (and walk fast, pay attention, etc.). But I can't imagine feeling actually safe anywhere in this town. (Like when it is a beautiful night and you go for a walk, just cuz it is gorgeous out even tho 1 am. That kind of "safe.")

Hmmm, I think I fear violent break-ins.

(I'm not sure if I'd be confident in them sticking to just the "break in" part of their original plan.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 02:11 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,181 times
I don't walk alone that late in quieter, more residential neighborhoods in the wee hours of a Monday, but I wouldn't think twice about walking alone down say, Boylston St at 1am on a Thursday. Statistically, the odds of something happening to me are extremely, extremely low. But I still generally factor in how isolated an area will likely be when making decisions, for my own comfort level.I have no qualms about taking the subway or bus that late (well, a bit earlier due to the T closing) for the same reason.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanewood View Post
Five year rule applies to this decision. Five years down the road, will you regret not having tried Boston?

We're not chatty, especially in the winter, because it's so cold!!! But you're young and should be open to new experiences and opportunities!

Best of luck!
Good thoughts in the quoted post. Susanewood is right. Now is the time of your life when you have the chance to try new experiences. You've had a few possible places suggested. If one of them really seems to call to you (which in this case seems to be Boston, but it would be the same no matter where you felt yourselves drawn to), you are in the time of life when it's good to get out and try to see those places if at all possible, while you're young and pretty much unencumbered.

You ask whether paychecks in Boston are commensurate with costs. That's not an easy question to answer. It depends on the job. You need to look at job possibilities, then crunch some numbers. If you can come up with an estimate of your approx. housing budget, people on this forum can be a good source of info on what that will buy you in Boston. Realistically, with lower paying jobs, many in Boston have to scale down their expectations for a place to live. This doesn't mean that you have to live in a slum, but does mean that you may have to think studio or small one-bedroom on a paycheck that might get you a two-bedroom in a new apartment complex in many cities. Whether the down-scaling is worth it is a matter of personal preference, but keep in mind that you're in the best time of life to get out and explore new places. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:40 PM

39 posts, read 167,099 times
Thanks again for the info. Yeah, ffg ffggff, I am totally with you on Denver being isolated. It's a major drawback for me. Also having lived in Europe I can relate to alot of your post. I went to DC this summer and enjoyed it, but felt it lacked culture, which I'm hoping Boston has.

The thing that is now swaying me away from Boston is the cost of living. I'm going in as an entry level grad, my husband a college student/ office drone. It looks like we'd each make $13 an hour or so in Boston OR Denver, and Denver is 40% cheaper to live.

ogre, I agree with you entirely! I'm so torn.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,907,092 times
Before you start feeling too torn, keep in mind that one good point is that you seem to have an idea what kind of money you'd be making. That's much better than not knowing where you stand in terms of paycheck versus costs. Now seems to be the time when you really need to think about your spending habits and see what this leaves your for a housing budget, then scour real estate ads to get an idea of what you can get in Boston on your budget. I would not write off Boston on cost of living without doing that kind of serious research. Best of luck in working this out.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 PM

61 posts, read 129,223 times
A quick word from a current New Mexico resident who spent 20 years in Boston: Boston has more "culchah" than any city I've ever visited (in the US, at least) - the average bus driver in Boston is better educated than half the CEOs in Colorado and ALL the CEOs in New Mexico. Never underestimate the advantages of living around worldly, well-educated people - it makes subtle differences that are hard to pin down until you move to someplace else and start howling about the locals.

And yes, Boston drivers are aggressive and a little mean - if you do something stupid behind the wheel, you'll hear about it, immediately - but they're also SMART. They drive quickly and without mercy, but they also drive well. I curse the insane New Mexico drivers every day of my life and wouldn't give them 20 minutes on a Boston road - they'd be roadkill in nanoseconds.

Part of being young and without children is the freedom to do risky things and go places and do things you can't when you're hauling kids around. DO IT - Boston is a wonderful town, the best city on the East Coast, hands down, in my opinion, and if you have to live in a tiny apartment and be creative about your finances and meal planning, now's the time to do it. Once you have kids on the way, your whole life changes and you have to be much more "practical..." i.e., safe and BORING. Do it now, while you can, and if you don't like Boston, go back to Denver (where I wouldn't live for all the money in the world, an UGLY city). But in the meantime, soak up the local flavor and the history and the beauty of the city itself. It's a great, great city.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:09 AM

57 posts, read 168,998 times
Coloradogirl1: We moved to the Boston area 1.5 years ago and we regret moving here – and we cannot wait for the economy to become better – we will be out of here.
Positives: Great schools (on average some of the best in the country), Crime (except some bad places) very low (some of the lowest in US for a major metropolitan area), Clean air (always windy-very nice and clean), Culture and young life is good in Boston (very expensive though) but there is always something going one.
Negatives: Cost of living is very High(it is not only rent, houses, but groceries, eating out, gas - electricity, parking, tolls, Public transportation, childcare etc. I can continue), People are generally very passive aggressive and many feel very entitled (peoples driving is similar - there are some nice people), Traffic is terrible (and it is all freeways and mayor roads there are problematic not only some), Parking in the city is bad and it is expensive. It is hard to go out in the nature because we always get stuck in traffic, People in Boston area live to work instead of working to live, Pace is very high.
We moved away from the bay area in CA because schools were horrible and crime was ridiculous and the Boston area seemed to be a good bet – well we feel our life is gone (for now). For the record we would still prefer Boston area over the bay area in CA – but that is because we have two children and we have good incomes, but we know now there are a better place for us (we are just waiting).
We just felt we needed to let you guys know.
Good luck

Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 PM

31 posts, read 76,079 times
I suppose its European if you look for it. Definitely in the pricier areas. I'd say we are as American as everyone else though. Outside of the city I hear from my friends it is very "New Englandy". I've never really understood what that means.

Anyways, if you don't like Amurica you can git out!

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM

39 posts, read 167,099 times
Nomah, haha, I do like America but I also like the rest of the world. It's a big world out there and I want to be exposed to as much diversity and culture as possible where I live. I would 'git out' and live in Europe (simply to be able to travel around more,and be closer to many different countries) if my hubby and I could afford it.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:12 PM

109 posts, read 323,968 times
Chances sometimes only come around once. Might not be Boston. Jump, but with eyes wide open, and your partners complete agreement and you won't regret it. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
View detailed profiles of: