Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2010, 09:12 PM

3 posts, read 7,132 times

Advertisements

I have a potential job opportunity where I'd be working at the Pru. If I'd be working there in Back Bay, wanted easy access to the T for transportation to/from work, and wanted a place where I'd feel relatively safe (as a single female) but wouldn't be paying an arm and a leg for rent, which neighborhoods would you recommend? I've visited Boston often on business travel, but don't really have a good "resident's perspective" of the city. Imagine a budget of $1500-$1750 for rent on a 1br, if that helps - and hopefully that would include w/d and dishwasher! Also, for what it's worth, I've lived in other major metro areas (DC, LA) before, so I'm not overly afraid of crime or other aspects of "big city living."

Appreciate hearing everyone's thoughts and recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Consider the St. Botolph neighborhood, right across the "other" side of the Pru, near the Colannade Hotel, Whole Foods Market, Symphony Hall, Fitcorp and Cheescake Factory -- as well as nudging agst. Copley Place mall. It's officially NOT Back Bay, even though the resident parking signs dictate so. Adjacent to Fenway, South End and Symphony areas You'll find some ome penthouse units in. Some of those old brownstones (condos and rentals). Lived there from 1985-90; started to gentrify then. Now looking great. Near orange and green lines, plus #1 bus to Harvard.

If looking on Craigslist boston, search for "St. Botolph," "Harcourt," "Garrison," and "Blackstone," which are some of the side streets.

150 Huntington (The Greenhouse) is a large luxury (30+ yrs. old) complex nearby, housing corporate short-termers and rich foreign students. But it's probably over $2,000 monthly!

"The Bostonians" with Christopher Reeve was filmed in parts in that neighborhood back in 1985, as the area apparently captured a classic Boston look for the film.

Or just try Back Bay or South End, but a top-notch 1BR may be $1800-$2000 minimum!

Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,304,632 times
Slightly farther afield, but still very close, are neighborhoods like Brookline Village, Longwood and Coolidge Corner in Brookline. They are, though not in the city of Boston, quite urban with plenty of young professionals and generally safe and attractive. Your price range should be fine. Brookline Village and Longwood are reachable by the D branch of the Green line, and Coolidge Corner by the C branch. Both stop at Hynes (Mass Av and Newbury) and Copley (Boylston and Dartmouth), pretty close to the Pru. It's only about 10-15 minutes on the T from any of these to Hynes station.

There is a "Prudential" station on the E branch of the Green line, but that goes only down Huntington Ave and South Huntington Avenue to Heath St. Beyond that (as in Jamaica Plain) you'd need to transfer to the bus.

Here's a sense of the look of the area:

coolidge_corner Photo Gallery by Mike at pbase.com
brookline_village Photo Gallery by Mike at pbase.com
longwood Photo Gallery by Mike at pbase.com

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 7,132 times
Thanks for the responses! I've been checking out listings for the Back Bay-ish streets and Brookline neighborhoods, and notice that most places don't allow pets. Does anyone know if landlords stick to their guns on the pets issue, or if I might be able to work something out? I've got a small, declawed, well-behaved cat and just can't believe anyone would have a problem if they saw her. Appreciate any input/thoughts!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:16 AM

69 posts, read 292,300 times
May have something for you depending on move in date. PM me . Thanx

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 AM

406 posts, read 1,496,833 times
Now don't quote me on this, heh, but I had "secret" cats in most of the apartments I rented. Sometimes landlords will bend on the "pets" issue when they know you're a professional with a clean, well-behaved cat, but what always happened to me was that I quickly tired of the rejection and stopped mentioning the cat. Most landlords eventually found out and didn't care. The rest didn't find out.

Landlords do tend to be more lenient with cats, however. Lots of pet-friendly apartments in Jamaica Plain, too--just a few T stops from Back Bay station. But there are still a lot more NOT pet-friendly places than there are pet-friendly, sadly. Think it's a product of all the students in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston