U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 01:10 AM

1,790 posts, read 3,106,936 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have experience with Zipcar membership. I imagine it's established and reputable. Hey, it started locally in Cambridge, no?

So, according to the website, it's about $8-$9 hourly, and up, including gas. Daily rentals are offered....are those about $80 and up including gas but with limited mileage allowance.

I heard Zipcar no longer has Xm radio in their cars.

ßomeone told me her only problem was all the dog hair clinging to the upholstery from the previous driver. Hmm...

Do they need a $100 joining fee and a driving record check, as well as a few days' processing of the application? I could never digest their website info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 10:04 AM

2,954 posts, read 10,398,026 times
Rates & Plans, car sharing instead of car rental and owning a car – Zipcar

I remember looking at this before finally getting a car and thinking it was kind of expensive. Looking at it again it's maybe not so bad. The basic plan in Boston is a $50 annual membership fee, and I guess a one-time $25 application fee. Rates seem to go up from $7 a hour and $69 a day (weekday) or $79 a day (weekend). I imagine that depends on what car you get, and who knows what else is factored in. There's a 180-mile limit per day, 45 cents a mile after that. For purely local driving you should be able to stay under 180 miles. Gas is also included, which is nice.

If you drive more, they have the extra value plans but you must spend $50 a month minimum. There's no annual fee and the rates are 10% off with the extra value plan.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:12 AM

284 posts, read 991,569 times
We had it when we lived in Back Bay and enjoyed it. It was perfect for larger shopping trips to Target or Ikea, or for an evening exploring a nearby city, like Providence. We had our membership for about 2 years.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:20 AM

4,905 posts, read 4,354,230 times
I've been a member for about 1.5 years and only had one real problem, when a car was not available when I went to collect it because the previous user was late. I had to call and go to another location to get a car, which would have been a bigger problem if my need for a car was time-sensitive (luckily, it wasn't). The stiff late penalties seem to help curtail this problem, though.My favorite thing is that I'm able to choose the car that best suits my needs: zipping up the Mass Pike to visit friends? Small compact car. Going to Ikea to buy furniture? Something bigger.I've never noticed pet hair, but guide dogs (for drivers or their passengers) are allowed, so the previous user might not have committed an infraction.One bit of advice: always err on the side of caution when booking. One extra long goodbye at a family dinner or a traffic tie-up can cost you $50, minimum.

Old 01-27-2010, 11:28 AM

219 posts, read 742,470 times
Zipcar usually has some good deals brewing at times. I've often seen coupon codes on advertisements on the T and have seen a couple good Groupon offers as well. Keep your eyes peeled and you should be able to get those initial/annual fees waived or reduced and some bonus miles.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:30 PM

404 posts, read 1,174,515 times
When I lived in Boston I used it quite frequently. It offered a very convienent alterntive to car rentals. Once i was a member, making the desicion to drive was as easy as checking email. In Boston, where the city proper is small, and much of the area resides beyond the ease of the T, it was a great sollution. I moved to NYC about two years ago and have literally used zipcar 3 times. I'm probably going to get rid of it, but if I lived in Boston I would still use it. Not to mention NY rates are almost double Boston's.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:04 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,993,833 times
We used it for quite a while as a second car. My wife rates the service 9 out of 10.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:03 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,273,108 times
When I lived in Boston I used Zipcar and absolutely loved it. That was when it was still pretty new so it sounds like the price has gone up a bit. But because of Zipcar I never had any trouble living in Boston without a car. When Zipcar started expanding to other cities I used it there as well a couple of times. I never had a problem with it. I wish I could ditch my car again, but unfortunately that isn't realistic where I live now (Tampa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston