Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:43 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,595 times

Advertisements

Wow, I haven't been to Boston in years and it has been much longer since I lived there during college, but these photos bring back some GREAT memories. I will definitely have to get back for a visit soon!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 05:39 PM

69 posts, read 225,597 times
I don't get what all the fuss is about.
It looks like a normal city....except some other cities don't have horribly cold winters.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
You're right it looks just like LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Akron, etc. [facepalm].

You're right, you don't get it at all. Find me another American city with neighborhoods that look like the North End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, etc.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
I can't wait to move back up north where I belong.

Boston is a gorgeous city... somewhere where architecture is still valued

Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You're right it looks just like LA, Phoenix, Dallas, Miami, Akron, etc. [facepalm].

You're right, you don't get it at all. Find me another American city with neighborhoods that look like the North End, Back Bay, Beacon Hill, Charlestown, etc.
New York City....it's like a bigger and better version of Boston.

And of course it does not look like L.A. or Miami.
Miami and L.A. are beautiful.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
New York City....it's like a bigger and better version of Boston.

And of course it does not look like L.A. or Miami.
Miami and L.A. are beautiful.
I beg to differ. New York is huge; New York is wonderful. New York is constantly reinventing itself through redevelopment. New York has very little of its pre-1850 history left above 14th Street. And, as someone who spent quite a few years in New York, nothing makes me sadder than the often reckless, greedy and ugly development that takes place there.

One South Street Seaport, Fraunces Tavern (and part of Pearl Street) does not equate to an entire North End, Charlestown, or Beacon Hill.

So, while New York is great blah blah blah, it certainly isn't simply a "big Boston". And, with 8 million people, it had better be better (in the ways I'm sure you're inferring). To be compared to NYC, BTW, is quite a compliment to Boston.

The comments about Miami and LA aren't worthy of response.

Cheers

Old 04-14-2010, 09:55 AM

Hahaha. Yes, L.A. and Miami are beautiful if you enjoy auto-centric condo tower neighborhoods (in Miami, some 50% of which are vacant), mixed with sprawl and pockets of impoverished slums. Yes, they're warm and have beaches. Believe it or not, that isn't everyone's idea of beautiful.

New York's a great city. It's still VERY different from Boston. There are pockets of New York with colonial architecture intact in areas. Still, not on the scale (and not proportional to the rest of the city) that Boston has. Maybe I haven't seen enough of NYC, but I haven't seen any neighborhood there that looks like the North End or Charlestown with the combination of a chaotic street grid (although lower Manhattan's grid is all over the place, it resembles Boston's Financial District more than Charlestown or the North End architecturally) and colonial architecture. No other city in America recreates the colonial feel in its neighborhoods like Boston does. Not even New York.

So once again, you clearly don't get it.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:19 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Hahaha. Yes, L.A. and Miami are beautiful if you enjoy auto-centric condo tower neighborhoods (in Miami, some 50% of which are vacant), mixed with sprawl and pockets of impoverished slums. Yes, they're warm and have beaches. Believe it or not, that isn't everyone's idea of beautiful.
Amen

Quote:
New York's a great city. It's still VERY different from Boston. There are pockets of New York with colonial architecture intact in areas. Still, not on the scale (and not proportional to the rest of the city) that Boston has. Maybe I haven't seen enough of NYC, but I haven't seen any neighborhood there that looks like the North End or Charlestown with the combination of a chaotic street grid (although lower Manhattan's grid is all over the place, it resembles Boston's Financial District more than Charlestown or the North End architecturally) and colonial architecture.
I'd say the West Village around Grove St., and the area around Bank St./ Perry St. and West 4th, comes close. Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill in Brooklyn as well. There are 200-year-old wooden townhouses on streets like Middagh St, and many alleys with carriage houses, like Hunts Lane and Grace Court Alley.

The grids aren't totally chaotic, but they're not the monotonous "West 36, West 37, West 38" you get elsewhere.

NYC and Boston are still very, very different.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

New York's a great city. It's still VERY different from Boston. There are pockets of New York with colonial architecture intact in areas. Still, not on the scale (and not proportional to the rest of the city) that Boston has. Maybe I haven't seen enough of NYC, but I haven't seen any neighborhood there that looks like the North End or Charlestown with the combination of a chaotic street grid (although lower Manhattan's grid is all over the place, it resembles Boston's Financial District more than Charlestown or the North End architecturally) and colonial architecture. No other city in America recreates the colonial feel in its neighborhoods like Boston does. Not even New York.

So once again, you clearly don't get it.
You seem agressive.A building's shape might be your idea of happiness, but not mine. Yes Miami has beaches and warm weather. That's all I need in the end...because no matter how beautiful Boston looks, it's horrible cold winters ruin everything. The palm trees in Miami beat the colonial feel a million times haha...but that's only what I feel like....you don't have to agree with me. If global warming magically made Boston have summer all year long, I would love living here.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
You seem agressive.A building's shape might be your idea of happiness, but not mine. Yes Miami has beaches and warm weather. That's all I need in the end...because no matter how beautiful Boston looks, it's horrible cold winters ruin everything. The palm trees in Miami beat the colonial feel a million times haha...but that's only what I feel like....you don't have to agree with me. If global warming magically made Boston have summer all year long, I would love living here.
If I seem aggressive it's only because your post in this thread serve no purpose but to express to everyone that you don't like Boston.

Furthermore, you make some pretty ignorant remarks in which you state your opinions as if they're fact. Case in point: "And of course it does not look like L.A. or Miami. Miami and L.A. are beautiful." What's wrong with this is that you're clearly implying that Boston is ugly. Beauty is subjective. YOU may like those places but I certainly think Boston is thousands of times more beautiful. The difference? I won't go into a Miami or L.A. thread and say that.

Your first two post show that you're not really observant. There are plenty of people who don't like Boston. However, you won't find many people who say, "I don't get it, it looks just like a normal city." That statement highlights pure ignorance. Boston doesn't look like any other city. You can love it or hate it but to say that it looks like any city highlights you're lack of observation (or more likely, your lack of time spent in Boston or the cities you compare it to). New York and Boston have some similarities due to age and proximity to each other. However, they're very different cities. You can't compare them. New York is much more than a larger version of Boston.

You're right about me not having to agree with you (and I don't), but do you really need to come into a Boston photo thread and tell everyone how much better you think other places are? My posts are aggressive because yours are flat out rude (not to mention pointless). There are tons of people who don't like Boston. That's fine. But they don't all come into this thread and say that just like I and most other people who don't care for Miami or L.A. won't go into one of those cities' threads and let everyone know we don't care for those places. If you've got nothing productive to add, keep it to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston