Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:33 PM

227 posts, read 821,445 times

Advertisements

I am probably going to Tufts for grad school this fall. I'm more of a city guy so I am thinking of living closer to Boston and just taking the train out to campus for class as it looks like the Davis stop is walking distance from Tufts and it's not far from the city. What are some areas where a lot of young professionals and grad students live? I have lived in NW DC and Manhattan before and enjoy walkable areas. In fact, I won't have a car so a pedestrian friendly area is what I am looking for. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
In a nutshell: Arlington, West Medford, and Somerville's Davis, Ball, Powderhouse, and Teele Squares would work for close campus proximity. Slightly farther afield, there's Malden Center + Porter, Inman, or Central Squares in Cambridge. Or you could settle in Boston itself and probably enjoy the surroundings in the South End, Beacon Hill, or the East Fenway (closest in for easy transpo connections.) Jamaica Plain, Allston-Brighton, or Brookline could be happy choices as well. After DC and New York there shouldn't be too much sticker shock upon seeing the typical rents around here. That's why so many students settle for - and in - home-share arrangements. Most of the apartments outside Boston have spacious floor plans, unlike in NYC where as many as four persons who aren't "involved" with each other have been known to partition a studio in Manhattan since it's "all about the address" there. Seriously consider a house/roommate arrangement as you undertake your search, since your options will significantly increase if you do.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:33 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
You're just about at the right locations for livability. Believe me, Somerville around Davis Square can be quite urban and lively with its own share of bars and restaurants, especially when Tufts is in session. It even has a linear bikepath/walkway cutting through it. Most graduate students live around Davis Square or the next two sqaures after it, Ball Square and Teele Square. Rent is on average between $600 and $800 per person with some even cheaper locations.

Goyguy made some good suggestions but some areas such as parts of Fenway and Allston-Brighton might be too populated with undergraduates and there is a clear difference in terms of rowdiness between undergraduate and graduate off campus dwellers. Because Tufts is a campus oriented school, most undergrads live on campus thereby freeing up the surrounding area for grad students to enjoy.

Cambridge and Jamaica Plain are also good alternatives though further away.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Rent is on average between $600 and $800 per person with some even cheaper locations.
I'd prefer to get my own place. Any idea what a studio would cost me?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
I'd prefer to get my own place. Any idea what a studio would cost me?
Not that many studios around that area as far as I know. Apts are often in 2 or 3 family houses. Between Tufts and Davis Square there are plenty of 2-BRs for $1200-1300.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:24 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Young professionals and grad students live all over, really, so that doesn't narrow things down much. Pretty much anything from South Boston to Davis Square on the Red Line would be an easy (though not necessarily) quick commute to Tufts and would satisfy your desire for an urban neighborhood where a car isn't necessary.

How much are you looking to spend on an apartment?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Pretty much anything from South Boston to Davis Square on the Red Line would be an easy (though not necessarily) quick commute to Tufts
One thing to point out. It's about a mile, almost a 20 minute walk from Davis to Tufts, so keep in mind the full commute would require combining the Red Line with that walk or with a bus connection at Davis. I'd recommend staying pretty close to Tufts/Davis, or being along one of the bus lines that goes to Tufts (80, 94, 96?). That said, it's definitely true that you can find urban areas, and grad students, at pretty much every stop of the Red Line.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:48 PM

26 posts, read 94,095 times
Davis Square is good enough for young professional to live. Lots of social events going on year around. Nice bars and resturants to choose from, post office, UPS, CVS, movie theather, gym and banks near by. Tufts offer shuttle bus between Davis square and campus during school time. Porter square is also a good option, but more expensive than Davis.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
How much are you looking to spend on an apartment?
Wow I have no idea...someone said $1200-$1300 for a 2 BR!! I am used to paying more than that to live in a studio/shoebox. I guess I am just looking to see what a 1BR or studio goes for and that will be fine. I do like larger apartment buildings that have laundry rooms and perhaps a small gym (not a fan of the luxury buildings for the most part though).

Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
Wow I have no idea...someone said $1200-$1300 for a 2 BR!! I am used to paying more than that to live in a studio/shoebox. I guess I am just looking to see what a 1BR or studio goes for and that will be fine. I do like larger apartment buildings that have laundry rooms and perhaps a small gym (not a fan of the luxury buildings for the most part though).
I know the feeling, I paid more for 2-BR in New York than I'd pay for a mortgage on a $900,000 house.

A lot of the 2-BR for $1300 are in older houses, which tend not to have as many 1-BR apartments. You could probably find a nice 1-BR with laundry but not on-site gym for about $1000-1100. There are some apartment buildings with laundry rooms in the northern part of Cambridge and the Davis/Teele area of Somerville. It might be worth it to have a 2-BR for not that much more. Then you could set up a small home office.

Gyms tend to be only in the luxury buildings but I was curious and took a quick look on craigslist. They're advertising some 1-BRs in a building with laundry and gym near Porter Square for about $1400.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston