Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 12,422 times

Advertisements

Two friends and I are looking at apartments for next year and I was just wondering if anyone new anything about East Boston, specifically right around the Memorial Stadium? I am looking at a three bedroom right off of Porter Street. Is this area safe? I have been told to avoid the Maverick area and Eagle Hill, but that Jeffries Point is a pretty good area.

Also, what about the area of Southhampton Street at Dorchester Ave in Southie? Any comments on that area?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,188,951 times
Southampton St. itself doesn't seem to have many residences, but what you seem to be talking about is the Andrew Sq. Area next to the red line. Well, it's near a few housing projects, home to some young professionals, etc. It doesn't seem too unsafe, but it's not as desirable as other parts of Southie. I wouldn't necessarily exclude this area, but it's not hip or trendy, for those who need that. At least it's near Carson Beach & Moakley Park.

That Porter St. area is quiet, it seems; I usually double park as I pick up my pizza order at Santarpio's. The 156 Porter St. condo has probably polished up the area a bit. -- plus the new YMCA looks nice. Driving around most parts of Eastie at 2 am (as I sometimes must) is relatively safe to me, contrasted to its perception with others.

The MS-13 gang has been in Eastie, Somerviile, Chelsea, etc. for years, but had I not read about it in a front-page Herald story 10 yrs. ago, I would be unaware of major problems, despite their horrific image around the world.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:19 AM

894 posts, read 1,558,151 times
We lived in Eastie(Marginal St./Maverick area) for a year about 5 years ago and never had a problem. We enjoyed living there, sailing from the park, Santarpio's, Uncle Pete's BBQ, great view of Harbor fireworks, what's not to like?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:30 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,111,377 times
I currently live in Southie, and although Andrew Sq isn't much to look at, I don't think you'll have a problem with safety. I dated a girl who lived right on Dorchester St, and we used to play tennis on the courts next to the projects after work. Never had the slightest problem.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:43 PM

3 posts, read 12,422 times
thanks all!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston