U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Boston's best suburban region?
North Shore 11 52.38%
Metro West 8 38.10%
South Shore 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2010, 12:52 PM

7,534 posts, read 8,406,589 times

Advertisements

Which suburban region of Boston do you prefer?

The historic cities and nautical charm of the North Shore?

The malls and employment base of Metro West?

The residential hamlets of the South Shore?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:04 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,807,086 times
Well, you'd have to be silly not to prefer the historic cities and nautical charm of the north shore over malls and bedroom communities!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Well, you'd have to be silly not to prefer the historic cities and nautical charm of the north shore over malls and bedroom communities!
I agree. Of course I'm biased but from my viewpoint the North Shore has a lot more to do. Marblehead, Salem, Rockport and Gloucester have more charm, restaurants, and more attractive waterfronts than on the South Shore. Scituate is sleepy, Plymouth is great and really the only place worth stopping between Boston and the Cape. The North Shore has more accessable beaches than the South Shore.

Metro West is good for the Natick Mall (biggest in the state) and employment. Newton and Wellesley are some of the most attractive suburbs in the northeast, the rest of Metro West is very vanilla and landlocked - sans Westboro.

Of course this is my own opinion and I'll leave it to others to agree or disagree.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 AM

5,404 posts, read 9,446,930 times
Grew up south of the city, but I have a hard time making an argument for that region over the North Shore which really has it all. It has the mix of historic charm, accessibility and modern amenities. Each region has its positives, but I prefer the North Shore as far as suburbs go.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:44 AM

4,160 posts, read 4,651,568 times
Of course I prefer downtown to any burb, but given the choice of three, NS no doubt. It's all good - much of it great. What with Salem, MH, SWPSCT, Cape Anne, Newburyport, Salisbury, - hell I even like Revere and Chelsea.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:30 AM

wow, i thought I'd get at least one point of view from the other side. I knew somebody who grew up on the South Shore whom when I talked about Salem or Rockport he'd shrug his shoulders with a confused look because he'd never been there. It was as if he'd have to go through customs to come out the north side of the O'Neil tunnel.

Meanwhile people on the North Shore rarely go to the Cape or south of Boston. They would rather drive to Deep Maine than go anywhere near the Southeast Expressway. Me, I go everywhere :-)

Old 04-02-2010, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Of course I prefer downtown to any burb, but given the choice of three, NS no doubt. It's all good - much of it great. What with Salem, MH, SWPSCT, Cape Anne, Newburyport, Salisbury, - hell I even like Revere and Chelsea.
Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I knew somebody who grew up on the South Shore whom when I talked about Salem or Rockport he'd shrug his shoulders with a confused look because he'd never been there. It was as if he'd have to go through customs to come out the north side of the O'Neil tunnel.

Meanwhile people on the North Shore rarely go to the Cape or south of Boston. They would rather drive to Deep Maine than go anywhere near the Southeast Expressway. Me, I go everywhere :-)
This insular mentality is so New England. I'm not saying it's a fault... more of a quirk, really. I've lived outside of New England. This is the only places where I've heard someone (seriously) refer to a drive of 1/2 hour or more as a "road trip." Many people don't leave their little bubble within the state. I guess it's a testament to the amount of amenities crammed into such small pockets of the state that people don't see the need to leave.

Personally, I love to go check out other areas. It's great to see places you don't usually go.

Old 04-06-2010, 05:44 PM

2,312 posts, read 4,807,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
wow, i thought I'd get at least one point of view from the other side. I knew somebody who grew up on the South Shore whom when I talked about Salem or Rockport he'd shrug his shoulders with a confused look because he'd never been there. It was as if he'd have to go through customs to come out the north side of the O'Neil tunnel.

It's the same thing around NYC--NJ and Long Island, never the twain shall meet. Westchester and CT at least talk to each other....

Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM

2,954 posts, read 7,926,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
It's the same thing around NYC--NJ and Long Island, never the twain shall meet. Westchester and CT at least talk to each other....
That's in large part because you have to go through the City of New York for a couple of hours to get there and a lot of suburbanites don't have the stomach for the traffic. Westchester and CT don't have NYC between them.

I had family on Long Island and a sister in New Jersey who basically stoppped going to their house for family functions because it was "too far." Personally, I'd go to the same functions coming from Boston. I'll go anywhere, pretty much anytime.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I'll go anywhere, pretty much anytime.
I'm the same way. But I'm in the minority for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston