Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 04:11 PM

146 posts, read 393,714 times

Advertisements

You go to LA, you got to see Hollywood.

You go to San Francisco, you got to see the bridge.

You go to Philly, you got to see the Bell.

You go to Boston, you got to see ____________.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 05:03 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Fenway Park?

Old 04-05-2010, 05:52 PM

2,347 posts, read 2,783,250 times
Faneuil Hall (which I'm sure I spelled wrong, haha).

Old 04-05-2010, 05:54 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall or Fenway Park are probably the two big ones. I'm still not sure that Boston has ONE "place." I think it's a handful. Probably the most popular attraction is the freedom trail and that takes you by a number of places that are almost equally recognizable.

As much as I hate to admit it, whenever I see the token shot of Boston, It's always that shot of the Financial District from the harbor (or Fort Point area) centered on Rowes Wharf/ the Harbor Hotel and 1 and 2 International Place. Those two buildings are what I most often see when I'm elsewhere and just one shot of Boston is shown. THIS is the angle I'm referring to. While I don't think either of those places are THE place to see (or even top destinations at all), they commonly represent "Boston" in the media and advertisements.

Old 04-05-2010, 06:42 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
I enjoyed the Northend and the history there as well! Of course, that's part of the freedom trail though, which covers several areas mentioned. And of course, Newbury St. for shopping!

You know what I found the most helpful...those small bus tours (not to advertise for any one organization, so I won't mention a name) but the one I rode with had some very educated history buffs commentating the tour ride. We decided to ride the entire loop of the city without departing, that way we could get a feel for what parts of town had what history and then decided where to get off to start our journey and made our plans, agenda from there. We did the summary tour, then worked on the detail in the order we preferred based on what we thought looked most interesting working to least interesting until we ran out of time. That way we came away VERY pleased with the whole process with no disappointment! Just a suggestion. It worked for us!

Last edited by Deef1; 04-05-2010 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: One more suggestion...

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,471,139 times
Freedom Trail (on the fourth of July better yet)

Old 04-05-2010, 08:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Freedom Trail (on the fourth of July better yet)
Yeah, upon further thought I think the Freedom Trail has got to be the "IT" Boston attraction.

I know, I know, it's not really a single thing like the Liberty Bell or Golden Gate Bridge, but then again, neither is Hollywood. Like Hollywood (and the sign, Kodak Theater, Hollywood BLVD, etc), the Freedom Trail is a collection of signature attractions (Common, Bunker Hill Monument, Revere's House, Faneuil Hall, etc) under an umbrella. Also like Hollywood, the Freedom Trail is the collection of attractions that best represents the city's heritage (though it's far from the only one). There are certain landmarks along the trail that stand on their own merit, but the trail links them together just as Hollywood contains a number of places that stand on their own merit.

So in a nutshell, it's gotta be the Freedom Trail.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Yes, the Boston Duck Boat tours have skyrocketed in popularity since their inception (15 yrs. ago or so?).

Didn't it start with only a half dozen boats or so? They have a lot more in the fleet now, I'm rather sure. In fact, I think I heard recently that some of their newer boats have no. association with the original WWII amphibious vehicles which comprised the initial undertaking (I could be incorrect on this).

Yes, it's expensive ($30-$35?), but are kids and seniors charged less? The duck quacks from the passengers as one drives by a vehicle are now a part of the local landscape. I think the quacks are created by small toys given/purchased for the riders? Or do the riders make the quacks themselves? I can't recall.

Plus, the Sox were serenaded for their '04 World Series win with not only a rolling rally on these boats, but they were lucky enough to splash into the Charles so that the crowds lining the river on the Cambridge side could salute them. The Pats and Celts had their victory parades, but never got the splash into the Charles (Mayor Menino claimed the ducks can't skate; it was, after all, a February parade for the Pats.). Not sure why the Celts couldn't get their ducks to splash into the river. It was nice June weather. I think it may be liability issues nowadays, considering some "fans" jumped into the Charles near the boats during the Sox parade.

But the Ducks tours are not year round, so maybe the answer needs to be some attraction available during any month. Well, tours of Fenway Park ARE 363-64 days per year, so maybe it's the true attraction now.

Old 04-06-2010, 04:04 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Yes, the Boston Duck Boat tours have skyrocketed in popularity since their inception (15 yrs. ago or so?).

Didn't it start with only a half dozen boats or so? They have a lot more in the fleet now, I'm rather sure. In fact, I think I heard recently that some of their newer boats have no. association with the original WWII amphibious vehicles which comprised the initial undertaking (I could be incorrect on this).

Yes, it's expensive ($30-$35?), but are kids and seniors charged less? The duck quacks from the passengers as one drives by a vehicle are now a part of the local landscape. I think the quacks are created by small toys given/purchased for the riders? Or do the riders make the quacks themselves? I can't recall.

Plus, the Sox were serenaded for their '04 World Series win with not only a rolling rally on these boats, but they were lucky enough to splash into the Charles so that the crowds lining the river on the Cambridge side could salute them. The Pats and Celts had their victory parades, but never got the splash into the Charles (Mayor Menino claimed the ducks can't skate; it was, after all, a February parade for the Pats.). Not sure why the Celts couldn't get their ducks to splash into the river. It was nice June weather. I think it may be liability issues nowadays, considering some "fans" jumped into the Charles near the boats during the Sox parade.

But the Ducks tours are not year round, so maybe the answer needs to be some attraction available during any month. Well, tours of Fenway Park ARE 363-64 days per year, so maybe it's the true attraction now.

Ok, you mentioned a name so I feel it only fair to at least tell the "colors" of the tour that was the LAND bus tour around the city that was so informative...it was the Orange and Green one (TT) and purchasing the tickets online saves you some money. Not only was it well worth the money because you hop off and on all day, the staff were some of the friendliest I had encountered on our first trip to Boston. Very easy going. You can get on at any most convenient bus stop location nearest to where you are staying and usually they have specials like, the second day is free. Right now they have a special that your ticket includes the harbour cruise AND the second day is free, along with something else...I can't remember. The cost is somewhere around $35.00 with discounts offered that make it cheaper so ck them out online. You can't take a cab one way all the way across the city for that (or at least that is just about what it would cost one way anyway)....let alone all over the city for two days plus the cruise. And, again, the tour bus drivers had a great sense of humor and a wealth of history, both historical and local that made the whole event enriching. The bus highlights what you sill see on the freedom trail and there are key locations that it stops near the freedom trail, so again...your transportation for two days are covered along with the advice and history. I just can't say enough!!! Not that the duck tours aren't also awesome. I just had to toot the horn that the TT...again Green and Orange.. was AWESOME. Without me spelling our their name, the initials (TT) will clue you in when you begin to ck it out. Just look for trolley tours online. lol. Also, they operate year round except for certain holidays like Christmas, Patriots Day, etc. Enjoy your time in Boston...it ROCKS!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
The Citgo sign, hands down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston