Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 6,275 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm starting work in 2 weeks in the Boston's financial district. Currently, I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apartments with a friend. Anyone have any idea where would be the ideal place to live with a $1100-1200 max budget for rent (per person)?

I got a broker who showed me a couple of places in the north end for about 1500-2000. Let me tell you, they make college dorms look like palaces. Narrow stairways, really rundown on the inside and outside. Ghetto looking people walking around on the streets. It was really depressing to know that it cost that much to live in a place that looked like it was for bums.

Anyways, just want to know what would be the best place I can get with 2000-2400/per month for a 2 bedroom apartment in terms of proximity to work/living conditions/convenience/etc. Looking for a short commute 10-15 min walking or with the T. Also with supermarkets/restaurants/bars/other stuff within walking distance. Other than that, just a decent place to live in.

Any negotiating tactics for rent would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
What would a non "ghetto-looking" person look like, exactly?

Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 PM

12,856 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Well, most of central Boston is quite old. It's also expensive. I'm assuming you're not all that familiar with the area (reference to "ghetto" in the North End gives it away)?

If you want more room close to downtown you're going to pay more. It's that simple.

That said, the entire West End is essentially "new" (and of course, by that I mean less than 100 years old). Look for rentals in that area. It's the closest thing central Boston has to modern apartment complexes like the ones you find in Atlanta or any other Sunbelt city. I also think there are some newer apartment buildings near the Wellington T Station, but that may be further than you want to commute.

I've seen a few of the newer loft conversions in the Fort Point area and many of them are surprisingly spacious and nice. Ask your broker about that district. There are some similar conversions in the South End too. Both Fort Point and the South End will be somewhat expensive but you can probably do well for around $2000 (total).

I'm inclined to say that you should just look further outside of downtown. The North End is NOT a "ghetto" neighborhood and most central neighborhoods are full of structures that are just as old as what you've seen in the North End. For your price range, you'd do much better to look outside the city and commute in if you're not happy with what you're finding so far. The older structures are what most people who love it here are so fond of. People will pay big money for a smaller, historic central Boston pad. If that's not your cup of tea, you may find your search to be difficult.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:01 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,723 times
Also, bear in mind that many rental agents use the tactic of taking you to the absolute WORST places first just to see if they can get you into them. You sometimes have to roll your eyes and tell them to move on a lot.

The North End definitely has its own distinct flavor. It's not for everyone.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:52 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,577 times
You will probably have to look at apartments toward the higher end of your budget to find what you're looking for. You can work with different real estate agents too since for rentals they don't all have the same listings. Tell them that you want to see apartments in the $2000-$2400 range.

The North End is nice, but it's got a flavor that's not for everyone. The West End area (down by the Garden), Beacon Hill and the Seaport District/Fort Point Channel are areas to consider. But anything "downtown" is generally a premium location and the fact is reflected in the rents.

Boston buildings are pretty old. There are some newer lofts and highrises, but they tend to be really pricey. However, I think once you get to $1100+ per person category, you should find some nice renovated apartments.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:36 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
In Cambridge, newer luxury hi-rises include One Leighton St. next to the Lechmere green line stop/Cambridgeside Galleria. I think the area is now called "North Point." Lots of rich int'l students living there, it seems. 100 Landsdowne is similar, with some short-term corporate renters, possibly creating a faux neighborhood without roots. But I'd like to live in those places.
Great skyline views.

In Boston, 150 Huntington (The Greenhouse) is a fantastic location. Bleak concrete luxury building, mabe 30 yrs. old. 1BR may be $2000, maybe $2500 for a 2BR? Charming St. Botolph St. and St. Germain Street areas nearby.

Dexter Park in Brookline is possible. Nice and safe established neighborhood, near 2 T lines. Lots of rich students there, and some Indian families, I've heard. Yuppies all around.

Is Harbor Towers next to the Aquarium condos only, or rentals also? Near the North End And Financial District. But the price matches the height.

Check 50westbroadway.com in Southie. Three months young.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 PM

108 posts, read 570,196 times
You can also do some research about the Leather District

Old 04-16-2010, 07:21 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,693,429 times
maybe consider quincy, braintree or near arlington which may help your money and budget
go further with a better place to live. Boston is not cheap and then you need to budget the
gas or electric also. J.P. is pricey but you may get lucky a find a nice place there also with transportation into Boston.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,948,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
Also, bear in mind that many rental agents use the tactic of taking you to the absolute WORST places first just to see if they can get you into them. You sometimes have to roll your eyes and tell them to move on a lot.

The North End definitely has its own distinct flavor. It's not for everyone.
Yes, they take you to the crappiest places first, so that anything looks good after that. Rental agents are real bottom feeders.

Generally, the closer you are downtown, the more expensive it will be. I have a cousin who lives in South Boston, and that's an area that's becoming popular with younger professionals. You could also try Charlestown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston