U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM

3 posts, read 6,341 times
Default Moving to Allston!

Hi, I live in Arizona and I'll be moving to Boston on July. I'll live in Allson, on Packard's Corner. Can you talk me about the zone?. I'll be paying $1,200 for a 1br apartment!. I'm 23 years old. So, what's to expect on Allston?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 AM

613 posts, read 1,228,463 times
Allston and particularly Packard's Corner has a lot of students and young people recently out of college. Most people living there will be in your age group. Packard's Corner is right by Boston University so overall it is very college-y.

I think it can get loud sometimes, especially on weekends, because of all the students out and partying. Some of those houses on the side streets are known for their house parties. There's a nice supermarket (Shaw's) right there as well as a T stop. There are lots of bars, restaurants, shops in that area that cater to a student and 20-something crowd in both the immediate area and further up on Harvard Ave and Brighton Ave.

If you're trying to specifically live in an older neighborhood and out of a young and college area, then you may not like it. However, as 23 yr old, I think you'll enjoy the neighborhood. You'll have lots to do and the chance to meet people. But, after a year or two, you will probably feel like you've outgrown Packard's Corner. Allston and it's sister area Brighton are known to be very student heavy, but other parts are less so if you want to get out of the midst.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM

407 posts, read 724,127 times
If you're looking to meet people in their early 20's its a great place to live.

I lived in that area when I was 21 and still in college and LOVED it. I'm about to turn 25 and wouldnt even consider living there again... Its a GREAT place to meet people, but once you grow out of the college mentality, it will get annoying. Enjoy it, it'll be fun, and if you're going to ever live there, nows the time.

You'll be right next to a great super market (shaws) and also super 88. Some good places to grab drinks or dinner, see concerts all around there. Really, anything you'd want to do is there, but its a bit "college-y".

Old 05-04-2010, 11:35 PM

3 posts, read 6,341 times
Thank you!. I appreciate it, I think I'll love Allston. I just got out of College but still got some gas left about the college mentality you're talking about. But I'll be moving out on Sept. 2011. When I will fully compromise with my career and my future.

It's kind of a big step for me to get out of college and chill out right away.

Thank you!

Old 05-05-2010, 10:14 PM

3,852 posts, read 5,950,816 times
FYI "Super 88" is a local treasure Arizonans probably haven't heard of: a mini-chain of Asian grocery stores with take-out food available. The eights are there because 8 is the best-luck number in Chinese culture.
Ditto all the above comments re Allston, it's Student Slum Central and has been beloved as such by generations of collegians and post-collegians.

$1200 is a bargain for an apartment, so I hope you don't find that you've gotten what you've paid for. Some houses and apt buildings are meticulously kept up and regularly updated while others are, er, sketchy!

Although the neighborhood is quite safe most hours of the day, those in the know are off the streets ahead of 1 AM and not back out before sunrise. Most drinking establishments close at 2, and some spots shut off the taps and stay open 'til 3. Thousands of inebriated persons from all those places cause enough "excitement" among themselves without the bad actors "looking for trouble" who show up. Yet another stabbing occurred in the area last week , large-scale street brawls are routine, you get the "pickcha." There's also a high rate of break-ins due to trustful young adults' buzzing "anybody" into their building and a transient population that makes everyone a stranger. So be sure your apartment door is sturdy and that it stays deadbolted even when you're home, and the windows are all shut and locked whenever you're away, to help lower your risk. Also - particularly (if not only) if you're female - never accept a free drink from a friendly stranger unless you see the bartender fix it for him and can watch it making its way to you. "Date rape" isn't a huge problem around here, but it does go on and spiked beverages are a popular way to set someone up. Not to rain on your parade with any of this, but "better safe than sorry."

Everybody has at least one favorite hangout in Allston! Here are mine:

Sports Depot
Grecian Yearning
Harper's Ferry
Soulfire

Have fun!

Old 05-06-2010, 06:45 AM

11,218 posts, read 15,160,053 times
Oh my god I remember the Grecian Yearning...I thought it burned down in 2008? We used to go there really early in the morning for breakfast. I was a college student earning my spending money as a street musician, my friend was a full-time street musician who doubled as a construction worker when he could find work. So this was always a treat, having a full breakfast for just a couple bucks each. 2 eggs, 2 slices of wheat toast, 2 strips of bacon, and home fries...for something like $2.22 or similar. I loved that place.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 AM

385 posts, read 800,143 times
The street brawls goyguy mentioned, from what I hear, usually take place on the northern portion of Harvard Ave, north of Brighton Ave. Packard's Corner is a little ways away, maybe only a 10 minute walk, but that can make a big difference. I used to live right in Packard's Corner about five years ago and it was fine. Of course, things could have changed since then.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:59 AM

407 posts, read 724,127 times
yeah, the only breakins I've know of really have been around harvard and brighton ave, my girlfriend used to live on quint or parkvale, and was broken into a few times. This is one of the main reasons we moved over to brookline. But, everyone I know of who lived in packards corner/ babcock st didnt have an issue with them. So, just be smart about things and you shouldn't have any issues. And, if it looks like there are alot of heated people hanging out in a group, be smart and avoid it.

I have a feeling the main reason why there may be fights up around harvard ave and brighton ave is the Kells.. Everytime my girlfriend or friends made me go there, I felt like punching someone too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston