U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2010, 06:37 PM

279 posts, read 551,390 times

Advertisements

Planning to move to the Boston area next month. We have found a house in Dorchester that seems to be almost perfect for us. The commute to law school will be straight on the red line the whole way and only 40 mins give or take (Yay!). Pictures appear to be in a very nice neighborhood. We haven't had a chance to visit yet though. I'm no terribly impressed with the schools (two elementary aged children). Anyone have any input on Murray or Clap elementary schools? Also the Dorchester area in general? The pictures certainly look suburban, which is what we are looking for. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:20 PM

5,816 posts, read 14,801,565 times
You'll find that people here can give you a better idea about the area you're looking at if you provide some info on which neighborhood you're talking about, nearby streets, etc. Dorchester is one of the larger sections of Boston, with a lot of variation in the look and feel and safety of its neighborhoods. No one will really be able to tell you about Dorchester as a whole and guarantee that the description would apply to the area you're looking at.

I personally don't know Dot. well enough to give you the lowdown on each neighborhood, but some regulars on this forum could help you there if they knew the approx. location you're considering.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:48 AM

613 posts, read 2,160,432 times
Completely agree with ogre.

Do a search for Dorchester using the search function on here and you'll see that a lot has been written about it on this forum. I don't know the neighborhoods well enough either, but if you provide a block or cross street area, people can help you more. The thing about Dorchester is that certain areas are great neighborhoods, but other neighborhoods are some of the roughest in Boston (Dot is pretty big). It really depends where you're considering.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM

385 posts, read 1,368,535 times
And the other thing about Dorchester is that some (not all) of the "good" areas are very close to not-so-nice neighborhoods. So even if you're in a nice area, your nearest subway station, grocery store, etc. may not be.

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM

279 posts, read 551,390 times
Unsure if the area has an actual "name" but the home we are looking at is on Sawyer Avenue, if that helps at all. i will try searching for dorchester on here. thanks.

Old 05-18-2010, 01:46 PM

That's Jones Hill, which is a nice little enclave, but pretty close to the not-so-nice Uphams Corner area. It's residential, but I definitely wouldn't call it suburban, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:19 PM

3,063 posts, read 4,342,120 times
That area is not what I consider to be the safest as lz1982 puts it, it is uncomfortably close to Uphams Corner (corner of Columbia Road and Dudley Street) which has long been a hotbed of violence and criminal activity. I would rather move further south and east into the Savin Hill, Neponset, Ashmont, Lower Mills and Shawmut neighborhoods. I am surprised that you found Sawyer Street and the surrounding neighborhood to be suburban looking. It looks quite urban to me. The Ashmont area where I live and the Neponset and Lower Mills sections look more suburban in my opinion.

I don't know about the Murray and Clap elementary schools. The few good public elementary schools in Dorchester are further down in the Ashmont and Neponset sections such as the Murphy K-8 and the Kenney.

Hope this helps

Old 05-18-2010, 08:22 PM

5,816 posts, read 14,801,565 times
Ditto on Lz82's observation, ". . . wouldn't call it suburban." I don't know all the neighborhoods of Dorchester intimately, but from what I know from bouncing around that part of Boston some here and there, I doubt that any part of Dot. would be what I'd consider suburban. I guess it depends on your definition of suburban. Maybe if "suburban" to you means anything less dense than inner city rowhouse neighborhoods. I'd describe much of Dot. more like "urban residential."

Old 05-19-2010, 08:28 AM

There are parts of Dorchester that look more suburban, like Pope's Hill, Savin Hill east of the bridge, and Port Norfolk. All east of Dorchester Avenue (the location the OP mentioned is west of it). But they are not huge neighborhoods. For the most part, Dorchester wouldn't be my recommendation for someone wanting a suburban atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston