U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 02:50 PM

48 posts, read 203,224 times

Advertisements

I've heard horrible reviews about the Parcel 7 garage...what other garages/parking areas are near Boston City Hall? If I could get a list, that would be great!

I'm an out of towner, and will be staying in Braintree...I'll have a rental car, but would it be easier to park at a T station and just take the T into downtown? Or just pay an arm & leg for downtown parking for a couple of hrs?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:08 PM

413 posts, read 1,242,881 times
I used to park at the Haymarket Station garage. I did reverse commuter parking there for a year and never had a problem.

The day rates are a bit steep, especially during game days at the garden, but I dont think any more expensive then others...

Old 05-19-2010, 04:03 PM

2,954 posts, read 11,470,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwyre237 View Post
I used to park at the Haymarket Station garage. I did reverse commuter parking there for a year and never had a problem.

The day rates are a bit steep, especially during game days at the garden, but I dont think any more expensive then others...
Haymarket is good. You can also pay on the 3rd or 4th (?) floor instead of the lobby if there's a line.

It might be easier to park at Braintree station, or Quincy Adams, on the Red Line. Cheaper parking for sure, and the T takes you to Downtown Crossing, which is only a few blocks down Washington St from City Hall.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:44 PM

4,625 posts, read 9,381,403 times
You'll enjoy Boston a lot more if you don't fight the traffic. Park in burbs and take the T. Those garages around city hall charge upwards to $40/day. Why pay forty bucks just for the right to fight the traffic in and then out of town. Pay 4 bucks to the MBTA and enjoy the ride/walk.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM

613 posts, read 2,118,945 times
I would just spend the $7 or whatever it costs to park at the Braintree T garage. Take the Red Line into Park St. and either transfer free to the Green Line Inbound train for one stop to Government Center (exits right out to City Hall Plaza) or just exit at Park St. and walk the 10-15 minutes.

I don't like most parking garages in that part of town. Nothing personal against the garages, but they're generally expensive and it always takes me forever to find my car (even if I write down where I parked). Also, the roads there can be a tricky area to navigate for out of towners and there's usually a ton of traffic.

I'd only recommend driving in if you're planning on being in town late night since the last train leaves around 12:30AM.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 AM

639 posts, read 3,333,075 times
If you go in to downtown Boston after 4 PM it's only $9 to park at the Post Office Square garage. It's the key though, after 4PM. It's actually a good deal when you think of it. The garage is clean, it's safe and it's well lit. You exit the garage via the escalator and facing you will be 185 Franklin Street, turn right for Congress Street on the corner. Turn right again along Congress Street for getting to Boston's City Hall plaza. What you actually do is come up out of the escalator and walk thru the (stunning flowered) park and keep going straight for the Plaza & Faneuil Hall Marketplace area.

Here's info on this garage:

Garage At Post Office Square

A lot of the garages in downtown Boston are a complete and total rip off, you really have to be careful with them. They can be "cute" if you know what I mean. If you don't have to be in town until later on in the day then this Post Office Square garage is ideal for shooting in town after 4 PM and either staying in Boston or leaving shortly thereafter, whatever you need to do. It's especially good for meeting friends and having dinner in the North End, I know because that's what I do a lot of times where it's only a short walk to the restaurants and the waterfront from this parking garage. You really can't beat it for $9 bucks as long as you time it right, it's got to be after 4:00 like I said. If NOT, then it's $34 to park here, so make sure. The International Place garage has this type of a deal too, I just like this Post Office Square garage better, I think it's cleaner & safer, there's guards all around it & it's well lit.

If you need to be in downtown Boston before this time, then definitely just take the subway all the way in. Leave your car at one of the "T" parking lots as suggested here previously, it's ideal doing this and a lot of people prefer it if they don't know the secrets to driving all the way in, like the rest of us!

Good luck!

Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM

413 posts, read 1,242,881 times
Hey sorry I guess that haymarket garage is also knows as the Government Center Garage on New Chardon, pretty much across the street from Parcels 7. Here are the rates. Also, Agreed with the Post Office Square garage if you'll be there after 4, hard to beat 9 bucks. This garage is 10 after 5, except on event nights.

Faneuil Hall Parking and Boston Financial District Parking – GovernmentCenterGarage.com

Old 05-23-2010, 08:03 AM

48 posts, read 203,224 times
wow...$30-$40 bucks just to park?? Ouch! Yes, it looks like I'll be parking at the T station and taking the Red Line in! Thanks for letting me know the transfers and what stops to get off at, you all just saved me from some unnecessary over-spending!!

Oh, and it's good to know that the rates are a bit better in the evenings!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston