Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 11:09 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapking of boston View Post
Bill Maher ( HBO Real time with Bill Maher ) said that parts of Boston is racist toward Black people . Why can't Boston shake off its racist history ? I see alot of racist things happened in LA and New York but no one call those cities a racist city.
Can anyone fill me in on the history of why people say this? I won't go to Boston until this is cleared up. My family is going to Martha's Vineyard in September and they will spend a day in Boston. But I WILL NOT join them, I'm going to NY. Unless I hear that this is a rumor or the history behind it.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:15 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,703,164 times
Default Same thread, different day...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapking of boston View Post
Bill Maher ( HBO Real time with Bill Maher ) said that parts of Boston is racist toward Black people . Why can't Boston shake off its racist history ? I see alot of racist things happened in LA and New York but no one call those cities a racist city.
Why can't posters shake off these same old tired trolls??

Incidentally, Roxbury is far more deadly to a white person, than an other part of the city is to a black person.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:08 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Can anyone fill me in on the history of why people say this? I won't go to Boston until this is cleared up. My family is going to Martha's Vineyard in September and they will spend a day in Boston. But I WILL NOT join them, I'm going to NY. Unless I hear that this is a rumor or the history behind it.
Seriously? Unless an old, outdated stereotypye and a GIANT, baseless, sweeping generalization is "cleared up", you won't go to Boston?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:40 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
A bit extreme, no? Would you really believe that any city in the U.S. is "racist" enough to avoid visiting altogether? What on earth are you expecting that would keep you from setting foot in town?

Look up the busing crisis in the 1970s in Boston. I think that's the event that many people are referring to.

The fact of the matter is that that happened nearly 40 years ago. Furthermore, a LOT more went into the anger towards busing than race. One of the biggest issues in Boston was that in order to "desegregate" schools, white kids were also shipped across the city. Many of those kids had previously attended schools that were a block away that they could walk to. There was outrage that students were being uprooted from their local schools to be sent across town to a new school. Anyone is lying if they say there wasn't ANY racism involved, but the issues went a lot deeper than that. Unfortunately, the media and rumors surrounding it focused on racism.

Again, that was nearly half a century ago anyway. Boston is NOT a racist city. It really never was a racist city. There are no more ignorant and racist people in Boston than there are in any other city in the U.S. You should absolutely not feel uncomfortable in Boston, and if you let your fears keep you from visiting, you'd really be missing out.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,195 times
Re-posting from another thread, responding to a black woman's question about whether racism would affect her enjoyment visiting Boston.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
As for the original question, Boston has a history with racism which is a hard thing to shake off. Lots of tension came to a head in the '70s when school desegregation was ordered by the courts, which meant busing, and an ensuing white flight from the public schools. It is a very shameful past, though not impossible to understand. My opinion is that much of the anger and angst has disappeared. The people who fought those battles don't live here anymore, and they've been replaced by a vibrant and very diverse group of newcomers. You may encounter racism, it certainly exists here, just as it does everywhere else. But I do not think it is endemic, and it certainly is not a noticeable element in the downtown areas frequented by tourists. You might have issues in some of the outlying residential neighborhoods, but they would likely be connected to your status as an "outsider" rather than your skin color.
I think Maher is full of it.

[eta]
And while it's not clear in my post from the other thread, I agree with lrfox, that there was much more to the busing crisis than racism alone. Some of the other critical elements were the sense that Boston was being handed a solution by a meddling outsider without any input from the people who actually had children attending the schools. The schools were not legally segregated in the way that they were in, say Little Rock. There was a de facto segregation caused by neighborhood segregation. Some of that was self-segregating, some was caused by bank red-lining, but the point is that urban families felt like they were being blamed for something they had not caused, and that the solution was an overwhelming burden.
[/edit]

Old 05-24-2010, 01:19 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,339,180 times
it truly boggles my mind how freaking often this question comes up on this forum and how many times it's been answered in lengthy threads. yes, Boston will NEVER live down the bussing issue that occurred decades before and idiots who know nothing about the city will continue to use it as a reason to assume the entire city is full of racists and completely unsafe for and unwelcoming of minorities. Boston is far, far less racist than many cities in the US, but like every other city in America (and the world), it's far from perfect in terms of racial issues. so, ONCE AGAIN, Boston is not filled w/ racists and blacks need not fear stepping into the city and think a big bad gang of Irish mobsters right out of The Departed will kill them, but it isn't perfect (please find me a city that is)

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
it truly boggles my mind how freaking often this question comes up on this forum and how many times it's been answered in lengthy threads. yes, Boston will NEVER live down the bussing issue that occurred decades before and idiots who know nothing about the city will continue to use it as a reason to assume the entire city is full of racists and completely unsafe for and unwelcoming of minorities. Boston is far, far less racist than many cities in the US, but like every other city in America (and the world), it's far from perfect in terms of racial issues. so, ONCE AGAIN, Boston is not filled w/ racists and blacks need not fear stepping into the city and think a big bad gang of Irish mobsters right out of The Departed will kill them, but it isn't perfect (please find me a city that is)
Well, thank you for your well thought out answer, but I think THIS idiot would have a much better time in the 5 boroughs.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
Quote:
Well, thank you for your well thought out answer, but I think THIS idiot would have a much better time in the 5 boroughs.
Ah yes, the racial paradise known as New York City. Have fun.

Ever heard of Michael Griffith, Yusef Hawkins, the Family Red Apple grocery in Flatbush, Gavin Cato and Yankel Rosenbaum, Abner Louima, Patrick Dorismond, Amadou Diallo, Nicholas Minucci, Alie Kamara?

Back in the 90's, a lot more recently than the Boston busing issues, real estate offices were firebombed in Brooklyn for selling houses to black families in what had been a predominantly white neighborhood.

From two weeks ago: nine times more likely to be frisked by NYC police if you're not white:
New York Minorities Frisked 9 Times as Often, Data Find - NYTimes.com

And you probably don't work for the FDNY if you're black:
Judge Slams FDNY as Racist - Gothamist

Old 05-24-2010, 02:06 PM

I like NYC. Nothing you say is going to change my opinion of that wonderful place.

Old 05-24-2010, 02:11 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,300,129 times
Quote:
I like NYC. Nothing you say is going to change my opinion of that wonderful place.
that's nice

good thing facts don't matter or anything

why don't you tell the family you're going to NYC because you feel like it, not some principled pseudo-protest against evil racist Boston
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston