Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 08:27 AM

43 posts, read 91,807 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old Brit who has got really sick of living in England (yes, it's crap).

My dad lives near Worcester, MA and have visited Boston a couple of times. I love the city, the surrounding area and the fact that its just a few hour drive / train ride from NYC.

I don't have any commitments, and think that I'm getting to the age of do I or don't I.

My industry is IT (website development). In the UK, I earn about $45,000 per year in a full time job, although I have also contracted for 6 months at a time earning around $8,000 per month.

What would the chances of me finding a decent job in that industry and finding a good place to live in Boston? I like to be near bars, restaurants and shops (I currently live right in the city centre).

Any areas, job boards or any general advice would be most appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
As far as living areas right IN the city (as opposed to outlaying areas or outer "sections").. I'd say Back Bay, Beacon Hill, or the North End would be the most liveable. North End is primarily Italian, and it's where the "Avest" (Festival) is every year. Back Bay is pretty collegiate, with the upscale Newbury Street and its boutiques and small shops running through it from the public Garden to Mass Ave. Beacon Hill is the more "tony" area, from the Charles Street boutiques on up to the top of the hill.

Beacon Hill would be the least affordable. North End probably the most, though if you find a room-mate you can probably find more square footage at the same price in Back Bay. Assume that you will be either walking or taking the public transportation, affectionately known as the T. Bicycle riding is also an option in good weather but the option is really dependent on what part you live in, vs. where you want to go, because of traffic. Traffic in Boston sucks.

No idea what the actual costs are these days though. The last time I lived there, I was a street performer and earned an average of $10/hour, back when minimum wage was $5.20/hour. I lived well, and worked part time

Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
I can't help with your questions, Paul, but I was just noting on another thread how Worcester is pronounced Woos' tuh in the Boston area.

I'm very curious ..... how do people from the original Worcester pronounce it?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I can't help with your questions, Paul, but I was just noting on another thread how Worcester is pronounced Woos' tuh in the Boston area.

I'm very curious ..... how do people from the original Worcester pronounce it?
The Worcester in England is more Woos'terr, although it depends entirely on the regional accent of the person saying it. Geordies (from Newcastle) would pronounce it the same as you would do.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:51 AM

613 posts, read 2,306,691 times
One important consideration is your green card or visa status. Will you require a company to sponsor you for a visa or will you have residency status on your own? (You mentioned that your father lives here so I'm not sure if you have dual citizenship, etc.) If you need the company sponsorship, then you may have a difficult time finding a job.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiver View Post
One important consideration is your green card or visa status. Will you require a company to sponsor you for a visa or will you have residency status on your own? (You mentioned that your father lives here so I'm not sure if you have dual citizenship, etc.) If you need the company sponsorship, then you may have a difficult time finding a job.
I'm not sure about that. Initially I was thinking of taking a 6 month contract and renting a place or commuting from Worcester whilst living at my dads (how is the commute from Worcester to Boston by the way?). Do you know if a green card is easier to obtain if you have relatives who already have one?

I don't really know Boston well, each time I came to visit was spent mainly in downtown where the prices to rent seem insanely expensive.

Are there neighbourhoods that have a good number of places for a single 28 year old? Such as bars and restaurants but also in easy reach of downtown? Going just on Google Streetview, Cambridge seems nice?

Old 07-12-2010, 01:45 AM

2 posts, read 4,481 times
Born in Boston, still live in Boston (i'm 17) and love Boston. My mom works on Copley. She says that Boston has a freeze and no one is really hiring right now and the city doesn't have any money. As for finding a good place to live, that's no problem. There are plenty places for rent. The cost though is usually from like 1,800 to 3,000 depending on location and how many bedrooms and how much sq ft.
I reccomend living on Boylston street It's the best.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:22 AM

423 posts, read 1,248,054 times
Things can be a bit cheaper in the Allston neighborhood. The apartments there generally aren't as nice, but they're perfectly tolerable, and the location is convenient in relation to other things. Some people refer to Allston as the "student ghetto"--not implying that it's a bad neighborhood per say, but because it is so heavily populated with students from Boston University (BU) and Boston College (BC) nearby. It's a very diverse neighborhood, with a large Asian and Latino populations, and though it certainly isn't as posh as neighboring Brookline, it's reasonably safe.

As for Cambridge, it is very attractive and quite expensive. You'd be hard pressed to find a 1BR for under $1200 a month, and it would be small. But it is very conveniently located an there's lots to do. Same with Brookline, another very attractive suburb with lots going on (probably safer and cleaner overall than Cambridge), but no doubt quite expensive. Brookline tends to be a bit more conservative than Cambridge, but then everything is more conservative than Cambridge.

You might also try South Boston (Southie), which has long been pretty blue collar but has changed in recent years. It has a fair amount going on, has an excellent location, and is not (yet) quite as expensive as the neighborhoods that AnonChick listed (Back Bay, Beacon Hill, North End).

Old 07-21-2010, 12:52 PM

39 posts, read 163,960 times
You'll be a-okay for a job around here. I'm in IT too (software engineer), and I've never had any issues. Boston is one of the largest tech cities on the east coast -- not quite San Francisco, but still a very good place to be in the field. A lot of smaller/mid-size tech companies, a lot of Web2.0 startups, so I'm sure you won't have trouble finding a webdev job.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:59 PM

11 posts, read 30,654 times
If you're in IT, the best thing about Boston is that you'll be able to find great jobs outside the city, and live close to them thus avoiding the evil commutes and rents. Waltham has lots of IT, good rents, and a nice feel to it, and, if you avoid rush hour, is a quick hop to downtown/Logan/Cambridge etc.

If you want to get further out and live in a more countryesque suburb, look at Westford, which I think has a town ordinance requiring a degree in CS. But that's off the beaten track in terms of public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston