Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Boulder generally a safe and welcoming place for GLBT people?
Yes 1 33.33%
No 2 66.67%
Somewhat 0 0%
Details 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 11,716 times

Advertisements

I am a 49 year old not exclusively heterosexual man with straight, gay, and bisexual friends. I live in an upstate NY city with a very weak economy and very long, dark, icy winters with heavy, long lasting snowfalls. People are generally down to earth and friendly here--possibly because most are poor. Though we have a world class art museum and great historic architecture most of the bright young and progressive people run away from here to greener pastures ASAP. Our city is documented as one of Stephen King's favorite inspirations because of its creepyness. We had pop 100K in 1950 and now only 60K!!! There was a bumper sticker at one time advising the last person leaving town to "Turn the lights out."

I have been seriously considering a long term if not final relocation to Boulder, Colorado, primarily because of its status as one of the leading Buddhist centers in the U.S. [aka "New Tibet"]. Boulder apparently is one of the top rated communities in the US and has a lot going for it. It also looks like a good inland refuge in these days of increasing climate change. I've learned that your winters are sunny, but on average you have over 80 inches of snow. I also hear that Colorado is a very conservative "Red state" and that recently two apparently gay men were physically attacked by two U. Colorado students. Housing is also an issue.

My burning questions about Boulder:

1. Do you have any Single Room Occupancy Hotels [SRO's] for new resident starters--or rooms at the YMCA to begin?

2. How cold can it get in Boulder in the winter and for how long? Do you have much ice in winter and if so how long does it generally hang around? Does the snow tend to last long? Is snow promptly removed from sidewalks and streets?

3. I will not have a car. How practical is living in Boulder in winter without a car?

4. I am very liberal and progressive and I value counter-culture and New Age.
Is it likely to be SAFE or a hassle hanging out with gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender folks and going to their gathering places in Boulder vis a vis Colorado conservatives? If so I'll take my $ and my talents elseware.

5. What's the fine art scene like in Boulder-painters, sculpors, etc?

PEACE BE WITH YOU--SDG

Old 06-18-2007, 06:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
I can answer questions 2 and 3.

2. It is not usually cold in Boulder or anywhere in the Denver metro area for more than a few days at a time, depending on how you define cold. Winter, defined as snow season, can start in September (any time in Sept) and last until the first few days of June, though it is rare to have snow past early May. In the fall months, there are weeks and weeks of warm sunny weather between the snowfalls. There is generally snow on the ground on Halloween. Even in winter, it is mostly warm (50's) and sunny. Snow does not usually last more than a few days, with rare exceptions. Snow removal from the streets is a major joke, and a major source of dissatisfaction by the residents. Removal from the sidewalks is the homeowner's/resident's responsibility; it is supposed to be done within 24 hrs of cessation of snow. That doesn't always happen.

3. It is pretty easy to get around in Boulder w/o a car anytime. You can also take the bus to Denver, to the airport and to Eldora Ski area. There is Greyhound service to Grand Junction, possibly other places as well.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:23 AM

2,756 posts, read 12,972,115 times
1. There is is at least one hostel in Boulder and I suspect more. It's called Boulder International Hostel and there's always a lot of new internationals staying there. The conventional hotels in Boulder aren't really all that expensive, though, and if you want cheaper, it's easy enough to stay at a cheaper place along Hwy 36 for a few days while you're looking for another place.

2. Please see Pittnurse's post. Winter in Boulder is not all that bad.

3. Please also see Pittnurse's post. There's probably more people going w/o cars in Boulder than anyplace else in Colorado.

4. Boulder is very welcoming of people of all persuasions. I wouldn't judge Boulder by the antics of a couple of drunk college freshmen. There may be some intolerance among a few students, but overall Boulder is a welcoming place and I'm sure you'd find its progressive culture quite to your taste. Politically, Boulder (the city) is notably progressive -- local politics largely consists of battles between Democrats and third parties like the Green Party. Though there are a few token Republicans around town just to keep the debate going.

5. (Arts) It's pretty good -- there are some galleries and museums and I think the community of Boulder's demographics are supportive of the arts. That being said, I think the art scene in Boulder is pretty tiny compared to that of Denver.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,716 times
Smile Thank You From Post-industrial Utica Ny

Dear pittnurse70 and tfox,

THANK YOU so much for your kindness in your detailed and courteous replies to my inquiries about Boulder. I'm now more interested in relocating to Boulder than ever.

Although Utica is slowly recovering from economic collapse we remain one of the most regressive and politically apathetic cities in the US. --no wonder Stephen King comes here in disguise for ideas and often places a character "from Utica NY" in his novels! ---not too mention months of darkness, persistent ice and wet snow in winter with temps that can go down to -20 for a few days. There are a few saving graces. The region is beautiful, housing costs some of the lowest in the US, and a world class art institute in the middle of downtown. If you like Gothic places, conservative politics and want to get in on the real estate ground floor w min investment come to Utica--SDG
We also have some good colleges--SUNYIT is set on an 800 acre campus, is quality education, very safe and uncrowded.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,864 times
I plan to live in Colorado Springs, and am a straight person, but you can consider me a friend. I am the live and let live type of person. I believe al should be allowed to live the life they were given. I hope you enjoy your move. Angelica

Old 07-20-2007, 12:07 PM

447 posts, read 1,606,339 times
I too am also concerned about this......me and my partner are planning to relocate there next year.........Boulder is not in our list of places to look at.......any other places to recommend......preferably in a lower Cost of Living city/town

Old 07-21-2007, 04:47 PM

22 posts, read 100,347 times
Default weather in the southwest...

Hi, we are from NY (Long Island) and we are looking to leave due to overpopulation, unaffordable housing, and poor quality of life. I would like to find a nice city in the southwest. I am considering Colorado, northern Arizona and northern New Mexico. I am looking at the southwest because I would like to be near the mountains and for the low humidity. Does anyone know of any area in these three states where there are seasons (fall leaves), but not too long of a cold snowy winter? Definitely the fall season with the leaves but a very very mild winter??
Thank you!

Old 07-21-2007, 05:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Hi, we are from NY (Long Island) and we are looking to leave due to overpopulation, unaffordable housing, and poor quality of life. I would like to find a nice city in the southwest. I am considering Colorado, northern Arizona and northern New Mexico. I am looking at the southwest because I would like to be near the mountains and for the low humidity. Does anyone know of any area in these three states where there are seasons (fall leaves), but not too long of a cold snowy winter? Definitely the fall season with the leaves but a very very mild winter??
Thank you!
Try somewhere in New Mexico. You may find Colorado's winters too harsh, given your criteria. I am from Pennsylvania and I don't find them bad at all, but then, I loved the winter in Champaign, IL, which is harder than Denver's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area